“Could have been better.”

Pad Thai Restaurant
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Richmond, Virginia
“Could have been better.”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

First of all, I want to point out that I LOVE Thai food! My boyfriend is Thai, so I've had my share of both authentic and American Thai cuisine.

I really wanted to give this place at least a 4/5 rating, but I can't bring myself to do it. The service was extremely slow even though there were only 2 other tables being served at the time. Also, we were being served by a young female who had a very unpleasant attitude. She never smiled and gave one of those "ugh" looks at a small request for an extra glass of water. Toward the end of our meal our waitress and the young lady serving our food sat down at one of the tables to chat after which it was quite awhile before anyone came to check on us, notice that we had long ago finished our meal and that our drinks were empty.

The calamari appetizer I ordered was tasty, but very heavily oily and breaded. In fact it reminded me more of takoyaki (japanese octopus puffs) because of the very doughy breading and chunk of squid as opposed to more lightly breaded squid rings/pieces that I am used to. For an entree, I ordered the Pad Thai as I always do when trying out a new Thai restaurant. It was way too sweet. I've never had Pad Thai that sweet before, so to me it was unappetizing. I was disappointed since it is the namesake of the restaurant. As for what I ordered, I can think of at least two other places that I would rather go to for the same meal (with much more welcoming service).

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank CoffeeWithHoney

Richmond, Virginia
“Fantastic food but...”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Large in depth review, summary in the final paragraph:

I suggested this restaurant to my girlfriend on our trip to Mechanicsville for lunch due to the reviews. I'm Thai and I'm a little proud of my culture and we both love Thai food so I thought it was a must. The other reviews are correct in that it's a bit hard to eye out, but it was cool that the owner grew his own peppers. Luckily, we came at a less busy time, one other table was served, and were handed our menus by a young woman but... no drinks were offered. She just handed and left, haha. Which was fine, I didn't mind as it wasn't that big of an issue but it would of been nice to know something small like that would of at least gotten through while we decided on what to eat, it being a slow day and all. What else did you need to do?

A nice gentleman took our orders, we didn't decide on the entrees yet so we started with Chicken Satay and Kalamari and the food came out lightning fast. It was the best kalamari I've ever had! My girlfriend had a glass of water and I remembered I meant to ask for water earlier as well so I asked the waitress who seated us, in a loud clear voice mind you, "May I have a glass of water as well please?", then she just kind of slowly stared at me, "... You want water?" "Yes please.", then she just left without saying anything. I eventually got the water but I'm not sure if I'm being too sensitive in thinking that was attitude but it just didn't rub well, maybe it was hard to hear me in a restaurant with one other couple sitting on the opposite side.

I ordered the Pad Saparod (Pineapple) and my girlfriend ordered Pad Thai. The Pad Saparod was absolutely magnificent, I loved it. Perfectly spiced and a great harmony of flavors. The Pad Thai was...interesting, it won't be the typical dryish/light Pad Thai you'll find in Bangkok but the orange oily kind but the unique sweetness made it stand out. After we finished eating, we had a few long conversations while waiting for our check. And they were lengthy thought provoking conversations, haha. It was a while before we were checked up on again, in fact I don't think I've ever waited that long for a check, anywhere. There were two other couples that came in after us but one of the couples already finished their meal, paid, and left. After us. We eventually got our boxes and our check.

This is a pretty long review but I felt I owed it to the kitchen for their excellent food. The Pad Thai was a bit lacking but every other dish was fantastic and came out incredibly fast. The only thing that was the black star of this outing was the service. We were literally never checked up on until after we finished a meal of appetizers and two entrees. We waited a large amount of time after the meal was finished and both waters empty for the check. I would of given 3 stars if it wasn't for the amazing food. If you don't mind service as much as I do and care mainly for the food then you won't mind Pad Thai Restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
Mechanicsville, Virginia
“Hidden Gem - Great Thai!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

If you drove by it, you'd never know it was there. The locals know best though, Pad Thai is the best in Richmond. Their Thai cuisine is second to none, the service is always pleasant, and the prices are reasonable. My Wife loves their Pad Thai, I'm a big fan of their Pad Pineapple, the Spring rolls are a great addition. They can make it as spicy or mild as you choose. Only the brave try Thai hot though... They grow a bunch of peppers and spices onsite and the food is always fresh. It can get packed on Fridays and Saturdays, but take out is always an option.

• Visited August 2012
“Hands down the best Thai in Richmond”
Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

You may drive by this place everyday but not realize there is even a restaurant in here. Don't let the outward appearance fool you, the food is excellent. What we originally thought was weeds growing around an old building turned out to be fresh basil, chili peppers and other spices used in their dishes. Ironically, the one dish I think they are a tad weak on is the Pad Thai; good, but not great. However, the drunken noodle, green curry, pad asparagus, etc is all INCREDIBLE. This unassuming place puts the other Thai restaurants to shame, and all at a good price. Lunch specials are good to, though the portions seem to have reduced a bit lately. (But are still a fair size).
Give it a try.

Richmond, VA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Thai”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Great Thai food., Herbs & more importantly, peppers grow in front of the entrance. Building sandwiched in between railroad track & Meadowbridge Road - don't let exterior or limited parking put you off. We can't drive by without ordering dinner. Small restaurant with great service, for best experience go a little earlier or later than 12-1 pm or 6:30-7:30 pm hour place is very happening. Our family calls, Hey I have to pick up my car, want Pad Thai tonight? ( Meadowbridge Auto is 1/10 mi down & across the street)

• Visited July 2012