Ginger Red
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Consistently great food and service, Ginger Red is a must for anyone in the Mechanicsville area. Not your average Chinese restaurant, Ginger Red offers Chinese, Thai and Vietnamese dishes. Weekly specials (half price sushi, appetizers, etc) and a unique buffet that offers small plates brought to your table versus you going to a buffet station. Orange chicken, happy family, triple delight and Ginger Red fried rice are all excellent choices. The crab rangoon, Thai lettuce wraps and spring rolls are excellent. The hot & sour soup is the best I've had (sorry Chen's). Staff seems to turnover frequently and I'm not sure why but everything else is consistent and excellent. I'm not a drinker, but there seems to be an extensive beer selection as well as drink specials.

1  Thank Va_Traveler_67

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Ginger Red is nearly an oasis of decent Asian food in a swamp of fortune-cookie-cutter Chinese takeouts in nearly every shopping center. It comes up short in a couple spots, but makes for a very nice dinner.

The menu is nearly as long as the Great Wall of China, leading one to guess that they do many things only marginally well. This is mostly wrong—its great, and if one chooses, healthy variety, confirmed in multiple visits. However, their distinction between spicy and non-spicy is really a distinction between spicy and bland. Too much food arrives at the tables largely flavorless. Like most Asian restaurants around, it offers Asian food redefined for the American palate (I'm not a snob, just observing, thats how you end up with cheesecake for dessert) but the palate can still withstand a little entertainment. The waitress's revelation that all ingredients in the sushi are cooked is further evidence of this.

The ambiance is very nice, if just a little crowded, and the service is really top-notch. When asked for recommendations they show clear familiarity with the massive menu. Prices are decent. On Wednesday night the sushi is half-off, which is worth noting. Any shortcomings aside, it still comes out as a great place for a rendez-vous and entirely enjoyable evening.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

My nephew recommended this restaurant for my daughter's birthday as she wanted to try sushi. We entered Ginger Red to a very friendly welcome and excellent service. The hostess and waiter took the time to tell my daughter about all the different kinds of sushi and their favorites. We ate tasty spicy salmon roll and crystal shrimp tempura roll - both delightful ! We then ordered dinner for the family ... not to miss are the Thai lettuce wraps, Sesame chicken and the Thai Chicken Satay and Hunan beef. Service was outstanding, the decor is warm and inviting and the food is delicious! We'll be back !

1  Thank go2beach4
Reviewed September 23, 2012

lots of open space to relax freindly/hungry animals who love the treats you can buy at their pen (only costs a quarter) clean open grassy areas for picinics or walks around the park

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My friend brought me here because she had eaten here many times before and likes the taste of the food. The decor was attractive, we were seated quickly, and the service was attentive. My friend had General Tso's chicken and asked for it to be not-spicy and the order was prepared as she instructed. Since it was Wednesday, half-price sushi night, I enjoyed 2 servings of sushi -- the Philadelphia Roll and a fried shrimp with the rice on the outside. Both were delicious and much better than grocery store selections. I ate every bite of mine, but my friend got a take-home box for lunch the next day. We left happy and satisfied with our meals.