“Olde-timey country store. Great stop for souvenirs, goodies, snacks!”

Poor Farmer's Market Country Store
Rhode Island
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 160 helpful votes
“Olde-timey country store. Great stop for souvenirs, goodies, snacks!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The Poor Farmer's Market Country store is located just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, mile post 177, on Highway 58 in Meadows of Dan, Virginia. Very easy off/back onto the Parkway.

Although I've been traveling to this general area nearly every summer since I was little, it wasn't until last summer that I stumbled upon Poor Farmer's Market Country Store. I've made a visit there now two summers in a row, and will continue to do so hopefully for many more summers to come.

Outside the front of the market, there are many fresh fruits and vegetables to choose from, all very nicely displayed.

Inside the large store, there are items of all types available for purchase -- including unique and gourmet-quality cooking essentials including skillets, dried beans by the pound, local honey, intersting costume jewelry, books about the area, including those from local authors, candy, children's gifts, you name it!

Also inside, there is a deli-like area. I hesitate to say whether or not you can buy sandwiches here, because I'm not 100% positive. I do remember smelling the fantastic aroma of someone baking bread or cookies, though! And, I saw many homemade desserts for sale. I'm just not certain what other types of food you can purchase on the side that looks like a deli, so you'll have to check it out for yourself.

On that side of the market, there is a covered outdoor porch area where you can sit for a while and enjoy your purchases.

I have really enjoyed browsing and shopping here because it is one of those markets that truly remind me of how things where when I used to visit this area when I was younger. It's not like every other gift store you see. There's more of a one of a kind feel to it because it's not a chain like Cracker Barrel, it's the real thing.

If they don't serve lunch here, I highly recommend Jane's Country Cafe, which is the next building over, on the same side of the street, as the Poor Farmer's Market Country Store.

FYI - I picked up a flyer for the Poor Farmer's Market Country Store and they also rent two cabins in the area. One is located ona working farm, with scenic views. The other is a rustic - early settler period (with bathroom!), on the trout-stocked Dan River. Both are secluded, close to the Blue Ridge Parkway, fully-furnished with everything provided, and contain one full-sized bed and one sleeper sofa. I'm sure you can inquire about those rentals at the market.

Check out their website also at www.poorfarmersmarket.biz

Visited July 2013