“small town nice”

Jane's Country Cafe
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband & I ate breakfast here. He had the breakfast buffet, which consisted of bacon, sausage, biscuits and a few other things. I had fried eggs (which were made exactly like I asked for- over hard but able to be broken by myself), toast, grits and hot tea. Everything was very good. The waitresses were very busy and sweating. We got there just before the crowd lined up at the door. The weird part of the experience was the bathrooms being outside. You have to get the key from a waitress, just like a gas station !!!! Thankfully, it hadn't started raining yet. But, yes- I thought my husband was joking with me... but you really have to go outside to the bathrooms !!!!! The decor is cute- black & white floor and black and white table cloths, red trim around the windows and matching menus with red trim. Great shopping in the parking lot, at a yard-sale type of crafts' tables. We purchased a few items from local folks, who were grateful. Shopping across the street, also.

1  Thank HaitiRN97

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My family recently stopped here for lunch. It is very small and crowded. The two things I was most interested in were sold out. (At about 3pm) I ordered chicken strips with potato salad. The strips I am pretty sure were frozen and just weren't great. The potato salad was house made and just ok. All of us ordered water to drink and noticed small particles floating in it upon closer examination. Needless to say, I didn't drink it or reorder. The waitress was nice, but didn't come around much. One person in my party ordered the club. I have to admit it looked pretty tasty, and she said it was. Overall, I won't go back if there are other choices.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This restaurant was only 3 miles for where we were staying at the Woodberry Inn (which I recommend). The food was simple and inexpensive, good for lunch or light dinner. The staff were friendly and the bill put a smile on my face . . . one soup, three sandwiches, one tea, and one dessert for "only" $14 . . . hard to find a bargain like this anymore.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

This restaurant is located just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, mile post 177, on Highway 58. It is very easy to get to and also to get off/back on the Parkway. Or, it is easy to get to it on Highway 58, which runs through places like Galax and Hillsville.

We were about to shop at the Poor Farmer's Market country store, which is right next to Jane's Country Cafe, when my mother and I decided we'd better get lunch first instead. I was about to walk across the street to another diner I had seen, but without researching any reviews first, I used the good ol' traveler barometer and took note of how many cars there were at the restaurant across the street -- not many. I turned my head to the left and saw the sign for Jane's Country Cafe. There were a few cars there, and I figured we'd take a chance on it since it was right next door to the shop we were going to go to afterwards, and I didn't have to cross a fairly busy road to get to it.

We made a good find!

Jane's Country Cafe is nothing fancy at all inside, but it is very clean, inviting and comfortable. The waitress we had was friendly and very attentive. I felt bad for how many times I was making her run around for this or that, but she always did so with a smile.

My mother ordered a BLT that came with a side, plus a cup of a vegetable beef soup. I ordered a 3-choice vegetable plate, plus a bowl of pinto beans/onions and corn bread. We both had sweet tea. I asked for another piece of corn bread during the course of my meal. My mother liked the vegetable beef soup so much, she decided to order two more portions of it and bring it to her two brothers who live nearby. We both could not believe that the total bill for all of this was $21.00. Even my mom asked the waitress when she was checking out, if that was right, because it seemed that we'd gotten so much food that it was too economical! But, it was right.

I really recommend you stop here if you are a traveler or even a local. The food was very good, fresh and tasty. They also have a fair amount of dessert options, I was just too full to do anything about them, but read over the list.

1  Thank pattyp814