All reviewsthe main lodgeelements restaurantsporting clayschef's tablesouth gatehorseback ridinggolden eaglefire pitblue ridge suitedisc golfspa treatmentsclay shootingstables saloonfly fishingluxury resortfairway cottagemountain home
Reviewed January 16, 2015

My husband and I spent four nights at Primland at the end of October to celebrate his birthday. We went all out and reserved a treehouse (Barn Owl) for our stay. Primland first came to our attention in a Trip Advisor article that noted that activities available included geocaching.

Staying in the treehouse was a fantastic experience that I would recommend - very private with spectacular views of the fall foliage and the stars. The narrow road out to the tree houses is paved with gravel and steep in spots. We saw deer, wild turkeys, and pheasant on the road. The staff offered us a four wheel drive vehicle to use to go back and forth to the tree house and even offered to drive us back and forth to the treehouse.

As experienced geocachers, the geocaching experience was a little disappointing but we should have realized in advance that it would not be normal geocaching because the resort is not accessible to the public. We did enjoy hiking on the trails. They were scenic and very well marked. We completed all of the trails except one during our stay

We also made arrangement to shoot sporting clays during our stay. I was a little apprehensive as I had never shot a gun before. Junior, our guide, was extremely helpful and knowledgeable of the resort. With his help I was successful in hitting about 20% of the clays that I shot at.

We dined at Elements for breakfast each morning and dinner one night at the 19th Pub. The service and food at both venues was excellent. One night we dined at the Chef's Table. It was an unforgettable experience.

We were a bit surprised to find that we did not have cellular service in the area around Primland, beginning about 10 miles outside the resort. A local resident advised that Verizon is about the only service that has coverage in this area. We made the mistake of depending on the navigation tools on our cell phones to get to Primland and ended up having to stop and ask for directions after a while. That said, the wireless in the treehouse was very reliable.

Primland is a beautiful resort and the staff is very attentive and helpful, truly committed to ensuring we enjoyed our stay. The fall foliage in the area was fantastic. We will return.

Stayed: October 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cindy P
Reviewed January 9, 2015 via mobile

Lovely place to stay and rejuvenate ! We spent 2015 New Year in Primland. A 4 day stay in a scenic, rustic log cabin... We went on their ATV adventure and their Sporting clay range. I love Primland, but the food was not as we had expected. I hope it is just a Chef change and not a permanent problem.... I am a Foodie so this was my only complaint.

• Stayed: January 2015
1  Thank Kimcassada1
Reviewed January 9, 2015 via mobile

From the understated elegance of the main lodge where we stayed, to the food, service, activities and amenities, we were amazed. The spa"s Native American theme was executed well and the treatments we had were five star. Our dining experience was over the top, too. Great fresh and local ingredients and we never felt like we were being charged too much like we have at other high-end resorts. We can't wait to go back in the spring/summer months so we can really enjoy the vast outdoor activities in warmer weather. Even though we only had time for a very brief stay, it was one of those rare visits where one night felt like a week. We left relaxed and impressed. Well done, Primland. Well done.

Stayed: January 2015
1  Thank Linda W
Reviewed January 4, 2015

My husband and I just returned from a 4 day stay here for our babymoon and we stayed in woodpecker west.

The cottage was lovely. Incredibly clean, well decorated and cozy. Due to rainy weather we spent a fair amount of time in the cottage so that was a plus that we had such a cozy space. Of course, the view was gorgeous as well!

Unfortunately, the "resort" aspect of primland fell short. There were multiple occasions where we called the front desk with a question or request and they told us they would check and call back and never did. They didnt have 2 of our dinner reservations recorded - one that we made before our stay and one that we made upon check in. They only have 3 dining options, one of which is a cars drive away and a buffet (not something we were interested in on our romantic getaway) so if we wanted to eat we either chose the pub which had about 6 entree options and 4 sandwiches or we chose elements which without alcohol ran us about $175 for 2. We constantly felt that they were pressuring us to eat more nights at elements which we frankly just couldn't afford more than one splurge night like that. Also, in room dining is available and offers all the same options as the pub so overall just a lack of variety.

We did do some spa treatments and those were very well done! We were very happy with those services.

Overall we had a nice weekend but the poor customer service and mediocre food options would cause us to not make a return trip or highly recommend primland to others.

• Stayed: January 2015
5  Thank Hayleyb0788
Reviewed January 3, 2015

My wife and I spent our second anniversary at Primland with high expectations. Most of those were far exceeded. We stayed in the Sparrow cottage on the fairway with a fantastic view of both the golf course and the lodge itself. From the moment we arrived, the staff were friendly and more than willing to take care of our every want or need. Hilariously, they accidentally ruined a few of my wife's surprises thinking that I scheduled them. I would not take anything away for this, because it added to the fun experience.

We utilized the spa and had one of the best couples massages we've ever had. We also took advantage of the numerous hiking trails despite the cold weather and frigid wind.

Our dinner at elements was the high point of our trip though. We splurged and the did the chef's seven course meal with the wine pairing. It was such an amazing experience and literally the best meal of my life. Each course was paired perfectly with the wine and the expertise of the wait staff and sommelier.

We did the star gazing which was a little lackluster due to high wind that evening. I can't fault it since it was a weather issue.

Our only complaint was our neighbors. Starting on our second, a new family moved into the cottage next to us with a room and bathroom above us. From the time they arrived, their child ran back and forth across our ceiling in what sounded like a herd of buffalo. To make matters worse, her mother also decided to do what seemed like taking laps in boots all afternoon and all morning. It was bad enough we even complained to the staff multiple times. I understand their risks in dealing with this kind of issue given the clientele. My only recommendation is to alert people when someone is staying below them at check in and to let them know that ceilings are not sound proof. I also question the child-friendliness of a resort like Primland.

All in all, I would highly recommend Primland to someone looking for a getaway. The grounds truly are beautiful, and the staff are consummate professionals. Just leave the kids at home.

• Stayed: November 2014, traveled as a couple