“Grace H”

and 1 more site!
Primland
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Meadows of Dan
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I went to Primland on a family vacation and it is one of the most beautiful property with luxurious rooms and the sweetest staff collectively. There are many activities available plus spa.
The view from our room was stunning panaroma of mountains,woods,meadows and golf course kind of reminded me of the scenery from the movie Sound of Music. It has a very European feel in Virginia with the very best southern hospitality. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed June 4, 2014

A visit to Primland is an experience of excellence. The mountain views seen from the lodge, the hiking trails, the golf course, etc. are simply breathtaking. The lodging and dining facilities are amazing as well. The staff is superior as well--making sure your stay is fun, relaxing, and enjoyable. The food and beverages were delicious too. This was our second honeymoon, and Primland was a great choice!

Room Tip: I would suggest booking rooms by phone. The website is informative, but you get a much better idea...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2014

There is so much to do at the resort. Although the golf course is top rated, there are so many activities available. Sporting clays, ATV tours, guided hiking, a spectacular spa and golf are a few examples. Everyone is very accommodating with your desires. We never do much pre-planning, so having a flexible and cooperative team allows the guests to enjoy all that is to offer. The food is varied, delicious and the staff is awesome. I would check out the "Tree Houses" before you make your reservation. They are very private and the views from your deck are spectacular. This resort is well worth the cost!

Room Tip: Check out the Tree Houses or the fairway cottages.
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I went to Primland for a weekend, and overall, I felt it was a gorgeous property with very nice service, deserving of its reputation as a great place to stay.

This place is honestly in the middle of nowhere. Because of Friday traffic, it took roughly 6 1/2 hours to get here from DC, and about five and half hours to get back. It is quite a drive. But the same time, you can also fly to Charlotte and then drive two hours. You are very secluded and there is no service if you have AT&T. The Wi-Fi is strong, so you're still connected, though.

We were put in an amazing Blue Ridge Suite, number 28. I would absolutely recommend that room, since it has the best views of the mountain. I did go inside the Pinnacles Suite because some friends were staying there, and while it is a nice suite, we all much preferred the room I was staying in. There were two full baths, as well as a small kitchenette and living and dining areas. But this room also has an amazing balcony that connects the bedroom to the living room on the outside. It's a gorgeous place to sit and relax and wonder why you just drove six hours to get to a hotel!

The staff here is very friendly and very helpful. Even though I was there for two days, you start to recognize the workers because they stay there basically all day. The breakfast crew was particularly friendly.

I did enjoy the food here. Breakfast was my favorite here, especially the ham steak. Delicious, and I got it both mornings. And even in the lunch bar, the Cobb salad was gorgeous and delicious. At a place like this where you're basically forced to eat their food because of lack of options, it's good that the food is actually very good and high-quality.

This property is huge, with 12,000 acres. To get to some of the activities, you have to drive a very far away. For instance, the tennis courts are about 9 miles away, and shooting is about 7 miles away. I guess that's the only minor complaint that I have about Primland, the shooting. I don't go shooting very often, but I have shot a few times at the Greenbrier, in West Virginia. Comparing the Primland to the Greenbrier, Primland just couldn't hold it. It has a nice lodge, but their clay targets are not very inspired. Mainly, the staff member we had was very corporate and not friendly. I basically had to ask for a look of the clays at each station, and she was not really there to ensure we had a good time. She should've been firing them off to her three times before any of us shot, since clearly we were not pros at clay targets. I did not enjoy my shooting outing, which is unfortunate because the resort in general so nice.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Primland for a nice getaway. But to me, the larger question is whether I would recommend it for people coming from further away than North Carolina; I still would. This resort has a very intimate and exclusive feeling to it, which I really enjoyed and it's not something you can get that just at an expensive hotel.

Room Tip: Number 28 is a Blue Ridge Suite and the best one
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We were greeted by friendly and knowledgeable bellman, check-in staff, and every person onsite was helpful and knowledgeable. The drive up the mountain is windy and takes awhile to get there - but you end up at the top of the mountain with sweeping views everywhere. The lounge, entrance, and every area of the lodge greets you with warmth and coziness. We had an amazing room unlike any others we've been to. Lights and shades are all electronic and you can set them however you want. Our balcony offered an amazing view of the golf course and gorges all around. At night, they have the firepits on the decks - where everyone gathers to eat smores, or cozy up on a lounge chair with wool blankets they provide (if you are cold). The manager's reception every day offers a wonderful glass of wine - and at night, when your room is turned-down - they leave you delectable Cookies in your room. You are offered bottles of water, lots of resources, and anything you can need is available. 5star all the way!! Bathroom was like a spa and the room was a wonderful retreat. This reminds me of the Vanderbilt Inn at the Biltmore combined with the relaxed feel of The Homestead. However, it's very private - and you are not encountering tons of other people during your stay. Feels like you were there on retreat! Golf course challenging and lots of fun! SPA - wonderful couples treatment; very serene in the Unity Suite - and both massage therapists were discreet, listened carefully, and provided excellent service. Although this was for our 19th anniversary -- we will return with our two boys to enjoy some different property ammenities. (Horseback riding, fly fishing, hiking on the trails, and smores).

Room Tip: We had a lodge room with a balcony on the 2nd floor - it was on the side of the resort- but there ar...
Reviewed May 27, 2014

After a long trip up the mountain - you arrive at Primland. The property is gorgeous and lush. The accommodations are plush. We stayed in the fairway cottages and it was equipped with a small fridge and microwave (which we never used). These rooms were spacious and included a beautiful gas fireplace and balcony overlooking the golf course.

Our only criticism was that when we arrived early and our room wasn't ready we were not checked in (which meant coming back at a time when it was busier...) and not receiving a map of the property or the events of the day. I am sure this will be easily rectified, with staff training.

There are lots of activities - we enjoyed clay shooting, golf and the spa (the Spa is awesome!). Take a hike with a guide and learn about the property - totally worth it!

The food is awesome - we tried the 19th Hole, Stables Saloon, and the fine dining at Elements. All very different experiences, but all very good food.

This trip was awesome - well worth the drive!

Reviewed May 27, 2014

My wife and I celebrated our first anniversary here and the staff at Primland made it a great trip. The service was excellent from when we first entered the security gates to when we dined at the Chef's table in the Elements restaurant. Just little things like handwritten notes wishing us a happy first anniversary from our housekeeper to all the staff knowing it was our first anniversary. Thanks again to Matthew, our valets, Donna (our housekeeper), Jon and the head chef at Elements, the wonderful waitresses at the Stables Saloons, the astronomer and his assistant and the many other staff who were so awesome!

To get to Primland, we took the North Gate which made for a scenic albeit lengthier trip, but apparently, the South Gate affords a quicker way to get to the resort. It took us about 10-15 mins drive to get into and out of the resort via the North Gate. It's absolutely incredible how large the estate is, and my wife and I tried to cover as much as we could.

I admit Primland is the very first course I've ever golfed at, but even for a newbie, one can appreciate how well put together the course is. The tee times are pretty spread out, about 20 mins between each round, so you definitely don't feel rushed through the course. I think my wife and I spent half the time taking photos on the course. The course itself is situated on an elevated plateau with beautiful vistas of the mountains and valleys around.

We also went hiking and caught some beautiful views on the Pinnacle Loop hiking trail. There's a spa and pool on the lower floor of the lodge, great for relaxing and just taking it easy. We definitely felt very chilled out after our 3 days at Primland. There's a wonderful deck and firepit in the back of the lodge, and at night, they offer smores! The deck also offers wonderful views of the middle of the golf course and the hills beyond the resort.

There was also an observatory built into the lodge! Definitely another highlight of our trip. Our knowledgeable astronomer and his assistant walked us through a variety of galaxies and stars and we were able to see them through the powerful telescope and rotating observatory dome. My wife and I opted for the extended 1 hour tour, and the astronomer and his assistant took us outside where we were guided through many notable constellations and got to see Saturn and Mars through the telescope. It was an awe-inspiring experience, we even got to see the rings of Saturn!

In terms of food, my wife and I tried all the dining options on the lodge. Room service was excellent with a good variety of food with some local favorites. We went to the Stables Saloon twice, the 2nd time was the "Chuckwagon Buffet" where you literally ride to the Stables Saloon in a covered chuckwagon driven by a tractor. A bit bumpy, but made for a unique experience. The highlight of the buffet was a band called The Mastertones led by Stevie Barr. They did a number of covers, and Stevie's musicianship and technical mastery were a delight to hear. The rest of the band was just as impressive, great singers, mandolin player, and bass player.

My wife and I loved our room at Primland. The feel is rustic but modern, and it reminded me a bit of our honeymoon lodge in Bora Bora. The room was spacious with sliding doors opening into the bathroom up front, and a window overlooking the expansive gold range and Blue Ridge mountains.

Overall, you'll get the feeling that there's more staff than fellow travelers at Primland, so it makes for a nice private retreat. Apparently, the resort has capacity for almost 180 guests, with private cabins for larger parties. Since the cabins are fairly well spaced apart, and the lodge has about 2 floors of about 8-10 rooms each, it makes for a fairly roomy experience.

Outside of the resort, there are a few sights to see, we went into the town of Meadows of Dan, stopped by a large candy shop, and a few other country stores. Just a little further, we visited the Mabry Mill as well. If you drive east along the highway out of the North Gate, you'll come upon a general store with a beautiful and unobstructed view of the valley below. When we were there, we were able to take in a folk performance by some local youth.

If you've made it this far in my review, thanks for reading, and hope you make the decision to stay at Primland! My wife and I would definitely consider coming again, and probably bringing more friends and family!

2  Thank Jephreo
#1 of 1 in Woolwine
Wolf Creek Farm B & B
Wolf Creek Farm B & B
#1 of 1 in Ararat

Been to Primland? Share your experiences!