“Perfection!!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Meadows of Dan
Norwalk, Connecticut
“Perfection!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Primland was perfection all around! Everyone we encountered at the resort was very friendly and helpful. Upon arrival, I was shown to my room (which was ready early) and given a thorough run down of everything. Maid service comes twice a day and makes sure you have fresh towels, etc. They leave chocolates, fresh fruit and water on your nightstand in the evening. They even refilled my ice bucket one evening while I was out to dinner.

We only stayed for two evenings and ate both nights at the bar. Our food was excellent. We weren't served anything for dinner that we didn't love. I found the prices for the food to right in line with other high end hotels. I saw that some other reviewers complated about the price, but I felt everything was reasonably priced on the dinner menu.

I spent my first day at the spa and found it to be very relaxing and great service (note: a 20% tip is automatically added to your bill. They didn't tell me when booking but informed me at the end of the service when it came time to sign for my services. I was absolutely fine with the auto tip, as I felt the level of service warranted it.). The spa facilities were first rate. You won't be disappointed if you spend time there.

Unfortunately it rained most of our weekend. So, we didn't get to do many outdoor activities. We did get in the 2.5 mile hiking trial one morning prior to the rain. If you do this trail, be prepared for some steep climbs!

The Details:
I stayed in a Blue Mountain suite that had a huge balcony overlooking the front of the resort. the room is fully equipped with everything you need (iron, ironing board, in room safe, hair dryer, ipod docking station, mini fridge & keurig coffee maker). Water and coffee supplies in room were free of charge. There is an in room dvd player and all the tv station anyone could ever need. There is a game room on the lower level of the resort that has a ping pong table, pool table, chess set, wii, and large tv. Great place to hang out and relax. Since the resort is relatively small, we had the run of the game room one evening.

The only negative (as others noted) is that you aren't close to a populated area. So, you are limited to their food choices. While I found the food to be excellent, I think I would want more options if I were staying longer. But everything else at the resort makes it well worth it to sacrifice a little bit of variety.

Overall I would HIGHLY recommend this resort for anyone who enjoys the outdoors and has high customer service expectations. The staff at this resort will definitely meet those expectations. I will definitely be going back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Visited for the 2nd time this past August (1st visit was in December). We thought it couldn't get better than our 1st visit, but it did!

This time we booked the Sparrow Cottage; it was simply remarkable! The West side had a large yet cozy bedroom/sitting area w/ a porch that overlooked the 10th hole to the Lodge.

The East side was HUGE & gorgeous! It had a full kitchen complete w/ cozy breakfast nook, all eating/cooking utensils & glassware you may need (whether cooking-which we didn't, or ordering room service- which we did), & a fridge & counter nicely stocked w/ refreshments & snacks. The living room was sunny, airy & spacious w/ 30ft high ceilings & a stone fireplace. Also on the 1st floor was a powder room & wraparound porch. Upstairs was a large loft bedroom that overlooked the ground floor. (Our family of 4 was very comfortable w/ plenty of room for our toddler's crib & our infant's bassinet.) The bathroom was expansive as well, with a separate walk-in closet I wish I had in my own home! We definitely plan to stay in the Fairway Cottages again in future visits.

We enjoyed the pool & spa & got to use the outdoor sun loungers this time. We also booked the Couple's Unity Room for a Couple's treatment & had the ultimate relaxation experience. The room is quite big & outfitted w/ a huge double jacuzzi & double shower.

We enjoyed the food during our stay in December, but this time we were blown away. We so enjoyed our 2 dinners at Elements during this stay that we booked the Chef's Tasting at the Chef's Counter for our last night. Chef Andrea Griffith's food is simply fantastic! Chef Griffith & her staff put out food comparable to many tasting menus I have experienced here in NYC, even surpassing some. (For you foodies, I would say that it's not quite EMP but better than Marea.) The ahi tuna w/ pickled jalapeño & cucumber sorbet & the duck egg w/ cauliflower & truffle are 2 must have dishes. Carl the sommelier did a rather impressive wine pairing as well. The staff on a whole (special mention to our server Jacob) were warm & gracious in their hospitality. A marked improvement over the service we experienced last time, which had been our only ever-so-slight complaint.

The 1 minor (so minor that it may seem like I'm looking hard for fault, which
I am) was that the vents over the shower could use a cleaning. Yes, I'm nitpicking!

Overall, a truly spectacular place that my family plans to return to w/ other friends & family to share the experience. You will NOT be disappointed!

• Stayed August 2012
Norfolk, Va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Primland is one incredible piece (12,000 acres) of mountain property, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway by the Meadows of Dan/Stuart, Va. It was developed to accommodate a lodge, golf course by world reknown course architect, Donald Steel, trails for hiking, biking, horseback riding, ATVs...and sporting clays. The Lodge has a movie theater, Pilsner Pub, library, invisible gutter pool, ballroom, golf shop, a Celestro telescope and 26 stylish luxurious suites. It is situated on a six mile stretch of the Dan River for those who enjoy fishing. That said...we went to dine. My #1Chef is a foodie and the sweetbreads did not disappoint. Read ritzytopaz and GoMauka's account on TA and you will get the idea..in fact all the reviews express our impressions. The earlier negative ones..not so much..it must have been a bad day for the staff if it is negative..We found nothing but the best in all categories. When you drive up..wonder where all the cars are? In a garage under the the hotel in the mountain!! Enjoy this luxury!!

Room Tip: We were staying in the area w/friends and did not experience the rooms, spa or golf course. We had h...
1 Thank MBearNorfolk
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

This was a last minute trip for the family. Only one hour from our home. First, we were told that no one stayed in our cabin the previous night so we could come and check in as early as we wanted? Security was great! Staff was great! Amenities were great! Food options were great! Wine cellar was amazing! Lots of activities... I recommend the 4 wheeling!

As I said in a previous review... Homestead in Hot Springs staff take a lesson on customer service from this place!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank K F
Pinehurst
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was our second trip and we found it as good as we thought the first time and continue to wonder why not a Forbes 5 Star and AAA 5 Diamond. It's in those categories. Really.

We would put it along with Inn at Little Washington and Jefferson Hotel as the best in Virginia.

The architecture/design/decor is modern and Zen-like and is very much like Amangani in Wyoming or Falling Rock in Pennsylvania, but the privacy of its 33 rooms/cabins/treehouse on 12,000 acres is unique....takes at least 15 minutes to get to Lodge from South Gate (the short route from the South). The service is always friendly, and mostly efficient, and the food is gourmet. Bedding is luxe and the views are expansive. Spa and golf are among best anywhere. It is upper tariff but it is good value among the top class of US resorts.

We have recommended to over a dozen friends within the last year and all have been appreciative. We will continue to do so.

Room Tip: Try the romantic tree house if available.......top of mountain and secluded from rest of Lodge, over...
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We visited Primland earlier this month. We were with a group of 16 on a golf weekend. My husband and I stayed in Cardinal East cabin on the 18th fairway. The accommodations were fabulous. We had a nicely furnished suite that was luxurious yet very comfortable. The sitting area had a spectacular view of the mountain scenery, and the stone fireplace was a nice treat even in August. The bathroom was spacious, clean and nicely appointed. Our cabin came with a golf cart so that we could travel back and forth between to the Lodge. We also shared a putting green with the two other houses in our area. Two in our group stayed in Cardinal West which was an adjoining cabin and suitable for entertaining a larger group. The remaining 10 in our group rented one of the mountain homes. It was an interesting house. From the exterior, it was pedestrian. The first floor of the interior felt like a mountain log home. The deck was enormous and could hold about 50 people easily. The view was absolutely breathtaking. On the lower level there were four modern bedrooms that were designed to take advantage of the scenic view...amazing!

We had meals in the 19th hole restaurant, the beautiful veranda of the lodge, the main dining room and the stable restaurant. I loved the menus (modern, southern fare) and always was satisfied with my meal. The cheesy stone grits were a treat for breakfast! For our Saturday night dinner, the lodge was busy with a special event so the resort offered to deliver our meal to our cabin. It was nice to have a relaxing meal in a ultra quiet setting.

As mentioned, we were there for a golf excursion. The course is challenging and unforgiving but worth every moment you spend on it. I'm not sure I saw any other golfers in the 72 holes that we played. It was like having our own private golf resort. Truly a memorable experience. I wish we had spent another day to take in some of the other offerings of the resort like sporting clays and the spa.

Primland is truly a gem in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. If you're looking for a special getaway, this is the place!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Primland Resort is on 12,000 acres with gorgeous mountain scenery. We stayed in the Lodge; The room was large, and modern, almost a suite, with feather beds and comfortable mountain view sitting area. Cabin renters have golf carts to navigate the grounds. The Elements restaurant served excellent food; 19th Green was good but not quite as consistent. Service throughout the hotel was friendly and efficient. The spa was relaxing, but probably has a small staff, since I couldn't get a second appointment; book ahead. There are plenty of outdoor activities; since I am older and not terribly athletic, I only hiked, though we also took a scenic drive and visited Stuart VA. Keep in mind that Primland is not very close to anywhere else; the distance from the front gate to the Lodge alone is 6 miles. Primland is a "keeper" on our list of NC-VA mountain resorts.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the front entrance--somewhat better views.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meadows of Dan
Comfort Inn Mount Airy
Comfort Inn Mount Airy
#4 of 8 in Mount Airy
Uptown Suites of Stuart

Been to Primland? Share your experiences!