All reviews mabry mill the blue ridge parkway motorcycle trip pet friendly room continental breakfast rooms are clean enjoyed our stay motel accommodations channels
Reviewed November 12, 2011

We were driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway and realized we needed a place to stay when we reached Roanoke. The visitors center at Roanoke recommended the Woodberry Inn since we wanted country style cabin type accommodation.

We felt welcome and comfortable from the minute we arrived! The owners, Shep and Angi, are very involved in operations and our comfort was their priority. The room we got was facing the pond, adequately furnished, spacious and had very fast intenet.

For dinner we visited the restaurant for a delicious, carefully prepared meal while enjoying the scenery over the mountains.

At $80 plus tax this was exceptional value for money and I would like to recommend the Woodberry Inn to all.

Date of stay: November 2011
1  Thank PJVlok
Reviewed October 29, 2011

To begin with the food was not good four out of four visits. Service was almost nonexistent, it was easier to get up and refill my ice tea and water than to ask someone. I will just tell you about a few examples; I don’t have all night to go into everything. The first time I had a filet, I ordered it black and blue and after explaining to the waitress what it was she came back with the owner and I had to explain it to him too “hard seared on the outside and rare, cool inside”. Both of us had the steak ordered this way they came burnt from laying in one position on the grill and they were both well done. The next time we both had filet and again black and blue, Pittsburg style, they were covered with so much blackening seasoning I had to spit out the first bite it was so salty, even after cutting off the exterior it was too salty to eat but it was cooked medium and not well done. The crab balls, Sysco crab cake mix in a tub, scooped out and dropped in the fryer, only I think they forgot to turn the fryer on. The waitress even made the excuse as she set them down, “they have trouble with the fryer staying on”. Sitting in a pool of fryer oil and under cooked, even cool inside, four little crab balls with a cheap store bought tartar sauce. The catfish on the other hand, I guess the fryer was working again and turned up to high, was dark brown, over cooked, with the same generic tartar sauce but the fries were good, I like my fries crispy. This is the last item I will talk about, being from Charleston SC, I do take my shrimp and grits to heart. They served their “Famous Shrimp and Grits, a traditional Carolina dish” it stated on the menu, with instant polenta stuck in the microwave, mashed down in a bowl, I could still see the form of the plastic tube it came out of, topped with over cooked shrimp and deep-fried Tasso ham. The whole idea is for the Tasso to flavor the sauce, not the fryer oil, Tasso is a seasoning cured pork and much of the flavor was lost to the fryer. When I asked the owner if the chef was off tonight and maybe they had a staffing problem he looked at me like I was crazy, then smiled and went back to eating a sandwich at the bar. What is this guy doing in the restaurant business? I heard the rooms are very nice though.

Date of stay: August 2011
1  Thank Sacpasa
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Very clean, quaint inn. The owners were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and cozy, no frills but was not expecting that. The food at the restaurant on site was yummy! Feels to good to have the chance to support local business owners instead of the big hotel chains.

Reviewed October 18, 2011

I had organized a motorcycle trip for eight folks. Our second night of the journey was at the Woodberry Inn. What an excellent choice. Right from check in to check out was first class! We had such a large group they gave us a private dining room. The shrimp & grits were the best I had ever had! From the bartender to our server....never missed a beat!

The rooms are a little dated, but the size and cleanliness makes up for it! I enjoyed it so much I just tried to book a room for this weekend and sold out again! Book early!

It's an outstanding location, quarter mile off the Blue Ridge Parkway. A mixed group of people were there the night we were. The food is so good, locals come to eat as well!

Room tip: Try to get a "pond side" room!
Reviewed October 9, 2011

The Woodberry Inn is a quaint inn with the most friendly owners you could ever ask to meet. The staff is incredibly kind and helpful, the restaurant has delicious food at very reasonable prices. The rooms are clean and the bed was very comfortable. I would highly recommend the Woodberry Inn to anyone traveling on the Blue Ridge Parkway. This is a great location as it is close to Mabry Mill, Chateau Morrisette and Villa Appalachia wineries. There are also great hiking trails in the area.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple