“Impressive Road Food”

The Thunderbird Cafe
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Description: We are a locally owned restaurant specializing in southern comfort dishes and cuisines.Breakfast served all day!Signature handcrafted burgers!Specialty sandwiches!Comfort food entrees!Full espresso bar!Blue Plate Specials: 10 meals under 5!Happy Hour: 4 pm - 6 pm everyday!
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My daughter just graduated from James Madison University in Harrisonburg, VA. This is one of her more out-of-the-way recent hangs. This is a diner on the Middle American rather than New York model. The food was very well-prepared and in generous portions. The fare is breakfast-centered, but lunch and dinner looked great too. All day breakfast. The offerings were standard, but with a certain flair, including some pretty fun alternative ingredients to throw into your 3 ingredient omelettes (smoked Gouda, black bean salsa, portabella mushrooms). The bread is thick-cut and hearty (no fiberboard). The grits were creamy and silken. My daughter had the Cobb Salad (the bacon was thick cut -- it looked great). An obvious choice for the locals.

1  Thank Frank I

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My family and I stopped in here for lunch one day and their special was The Hot Rod Burger, and let me tell you: it was THE BEST burger I've ever had. With a homemade kaiser roll and buffalo sauce, bleu cheese, and onion straws. Delicious. And their bread: awesome. Sausage gravy: fantastic. And for dessert: Chocolate Peanut Butter Pancake Tacos-PHENOMENAL!
Service was welcoming and friendly.
You NEED to go here.

1  Thank Ilovegoodgeuel
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went there one morning for breakfast while staying in the area. My family had the following and all was delicious: Gravy & Biscuits, French Toast, Potato Hash, Eggs, Bacon. Soooo good!

1  Thank tracim28787
Reviewed April 8, 2013

For years when I heard the word "Thunderbird" two things came to mind. An iconic classic car that, for all intents and purposes, should have been retired in the 60s and a wide variety of motels, biker bars, and seedy establishments that... also should have been shut down in the 60s. Luckily the trend does not apply to The Thunderbird Cafe located just outside of the Massanutten ski resort. If I keep my comparison to similar diner style restaurants The Thunderbird will easily rank as one of the best on my short list. My family ate their for breakfast the first morning of our trip and, at the request of our kids, continued this new tradition for the duration. Simple yet tasty food, reasonable price, friendly service and cleaner than you would expect from a typical Diner. We will plan to not only return, but to make a habit out of it!

1  Thank MikeO133
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We ate here for breakfast. No gluten-free menu, but plenty of gluten-free choices (eggs, grits, meat, etc) and friendly service. For those that ate gluten, the biscuits were amazing, and, seriously, just like my grandmother's. Quality grits cooked in milk. Really, the whole breakfast was a treat.