“We go back every year. This resort has it all!” 5 of 5 stars

Massanutten Resort
1822 Resort Drive, McGaheysville, VA 22840   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in McGaheysville
Maple
“We go back every year. This resort has it all!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

We have been exchanging our timeshare use with Massanutten for the past 6 years. I have 3 kids and there is something to do 24/7 at this place. Some people don't realize that this resort is huge and that they offer many different location exchanges within the resort "Massanutten". We have stayed at the Summit, Eagle Trace, Woodstone and we go back to the mountainside villas. Some buildings are newer such as Woodstone and they are located according to the activities most enjoyed. If you are a golfer, stay at woodstone. If you enjoy skiing, the fresh air and walks at the top of the mountain, overlooking the valley, stay at the summit, etc. Our family does not golf so we tend to stay in the villas and the fact that they are very spacious is also a bonus with 3 teenagers. I have read some of the other reviews and can't understand why someone would mention the fact that the cups are not big enough. If you own timeshare, have you ever found a resort that has extra large mugs?? We tend to cook a lot instead of eating out and I have found that if we are missing something, call and they will try to supply what you need. We have travelled extensively throughout the U.S. and Canada and I would have to say that Massanutten is one of the best! Some of the buildings and furniture are a little dated but the maintenance is fantastic and available when they are called. This resort has always been very accommodating. Another complaint that I read was about the "soft sell tactics". It is expected when travelling to a timeshare resort. Have these folks ever been to a timeshare resort before? Look at it this way, take the family and inlaws to the free meal, take the free activity cards offerred and then enjoy the resort knowing you got some freebees. If you really don't want anyone calling you, check in as a single parent. I have done this many times and when they call in the morning to verify if you are with your spouse, I tell them that I am with my "partner" and that gets me a polite "have a nice day"! Here is a quick rundown of what my family does in a week...skiing, tubing, horseback riding, fishing, go-karting, water park, tip to DC, trip to the caverns, movie night, arcarde, hiking, shopping in Harrisonburg (groceries at Costco and Walmart on the way to the resort before check-in). The local mall has Pacsun and a few other cool stores for the teens to shop at. Ross is in Harrisonburg also, for the Mom's...Dad's can check out the home depot in the same strip mall. This resort is a great choice. It has it all if you choose to do any of it. Don't complain if you choose to sit on a sofa and watch tv the whole time you are on vacation. One other point, if you are going on vacation, you will spend money! Some other reviewers complained about all the money they had to spend on activities. It does cost money and you will spend it if you want to have some fun. Otherwise, stay at home and write a review about all the money you saved! Enjoy

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
14 Thank MapleChika

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

Came here when we "won" a free trip.

Pros: Nice fake fireplace, good location, great tour guide (LaDonna)

Cons: Loose trash outside condo, dated furnishings, used washcloth in bathroom when we arrived, old appliances, loud neighbors, cigarette smoke from neighbors easily infiltrated condo, questionable linens, mold in shower, 4 hour "90 min" tour, pushy sales managers, pushed us hard to buy on the spot and made us feel like crap when we said no, and overall deushchebagery of entire sales staff and environment.

Go to ski, go with your kids, do not go if awarded a "free" vacation. We were supposed to stay from Th-Sun and left after our tour on Friday due to horrible conditions and overall disrespect we felt from everyone except our wonderful tour guide (LaDonna). Interesting to find a place that makes your everyday home life feel like a vacation.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank hawkman12301

Travelers are raving about these McGaheysville hotels

VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

The slope sliders program at Massanutten is a wonderful program for teaching kids (ages 4 and up) how to ski and snowboard. I was very hesitant to put my kids into the program, not knowing much about it but I am so glad that we did. The program is very well organized – from the online registration to the enrollment where you choose the kids lunch and get them fitted for skis, boots, and their helmet. We were extremely impressed with the instructors as well. We enrolled our 4 yr old and our 6 year old that were afraid going into the program of getting on the lift, but after day 1 they had one down the lift several times and by day 2 they had spent the whole day on the lift coming down the slopes and learning varying ski techniques. If you’re looking for a great program that will teach your little ones to ski, this is it! And, they even have a photographer that will capture rare moments of your little ones coming down the slopes.

5 Thank BlessdToTravel
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

While I recommend this place, it's primarily for its activities for a younger age kid. Believe the older ones will get tired of this pretty quick. We had fun but were ready to go on the 6th (vice the 7th) day.

The good... with a five year old, it was a great resort with a lot of things to do for our little one... small kid slopes, indoor water park, indoor pools, petting zoo. We enjoyed the mini terrain park and the snow was in pretty good condition. The water park brought an entire day (and night) of fun) and we really enjoyed the "florider" boogey board machine. Very well laid out for such a small size...

The bad... the beds were terribly hard and I could barely walk each morning. Also, the rooms sounded hollow as you could hear everything going on around you (and with ski boots above us, that's not good). The timeshare 2 hr meeting turned to 3+hours (go figure... just be warned). We did receive two activity cards out of the deal which saved us a LOT of money on the trip... so the whole trip was very reasonably priced. Also, they didn't notify us that most things were closed on New Years morning (e.g. the pool).

Overall, a fun trip but had a lot of little things that really nagged at ya... Oh... and don't miss the side-trip to Luray Caverns... it was awesome!

• 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank wemarionFishnGolf
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

I entered a contest to win a free trip while we were out to lunch one day. A few weeks later, I was called saying that I had "won" the trip, and all that was asked of us was that we would go and listen to a 90 min. presentation. We thought, great. We will take the kids down there and have some fun at the water park. It will be great. The lady on the phone said we would be treated like royalty and we would be staying in an owners room. All good right? Well, we got there and they put us into a standard hotel room. I wish I could say it was nice, but it wasn't. It was like the getto. You had to pay for ice, there was NO nice perks. The beds were uncomfortable, carpet and furniture very out dated and worn. Needless to say it wasn't a great first impression.

We were told that we would have our 90 min. session the next day at noon. We promised our kids we would spend the whole afternoon at the waterpark after it was done. 4 hours later we walked out of there and I was tired, hungry and irritated. The guy took forever walking around talking about all the reasons we should vacation for about 2 hours of that. Then my husband told the guy we might be interested in it if we could get a price quote. The guy danced around the question for another hour, brings a "manager" over and she gives us "the deal of a lifetime". You can't go lower then this, she says and puts on this whole thing about how she was doing this for us because we looked like a nice young couple. Well, after we said that we weren't interested in impulse buying that we might be interested but we would need to do more research on it, she told us it was a one time offer that she couldn't give to us again. We still said no. Then the guy that toured us got really pushy and irrate about us saying no. When we got up to leave, he told us to go to this room in the back to claim our gift cards. We were in there for 30 seconds and another manager tells us he can give it to us for half of the lower offer they gave us out there. There were so many things about the whole thing that seemed shady and slimmy to me that I just didn't feel comfortable with any of it.

My kids had a great time at the waterpark that evening when we finally got there. It ended up being a great trip because we made it that way, but no thanks to them. The waterpark was a lot of fun, but very expensive. For us, it was worth seeing our kids happy and having a good time, but be prepared to shed some major doe out. Also, be ware, that this is NOT an all inclusive resort. ALL the activities and food cost money. Nothing is free with your stay, so just be prepared for that.

Overall the sales people are shifty and the front desk people are NOT friendly. We were NOT impressed.

12 Thank Chand4
Bethesda, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

There were a number of complaints that I had about this place but here were the major ones:
1. The room and facilities: They were very outdated, to say the least. Our comforter looked like it was at least 10 years old and had tears in it. The towels provided at the pool were of the same quality as my rags at home and I'm completely serious about that. If you're going to try to convince to buy at your resort, why treat me like this?
2. Tour service: After having been on previous timeshare sale tours with my parents, I knew this would not be fun. But what completely dissatisfied me was the sales representative's inability to directly answer some of my questions. In addition, he would misrepresent or miscommunicate what I would say in order to further his argument. I've dealt with timeshare reps but Bailey at Massanutten was out of line in his customer service and honesty. He even said that the 90 minute schedule was a "leisurely" 90 minutes and that his directions were to spend 2.5 hours with us.

• Stayed December 2010
9 Thank Michelle N
canton ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

a car is a must that being said the resort itself has much going for it all seasons sking, sno boarding water park (very large and expensive but worth a day trip) monticello, Staunton , Natural bridge, many natural caves and even d.c. is less than 2 hour drive Sky line drive or just relax and enjoy nature as i said this area has it all

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank issdc
Also consider these accommodations in or near McGaheysville
Residence Inn Harrisonburg
The Mimslyn Inn
The Mimslyn Inn
#1 of 9 in Luray
4.5 of 5 stars 814 reviews

Been to Massanutten Resort? Share your experiences!