“Fall Family Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Massanutten Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in McGaheysville
Massanutten Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in McGaheysville
Bracebridge, Ontario
“Fall Family Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2006

We just returned from Massanutten in the middle of September and it was great. There were 11 of us (all family) staying in three condos. Two were the Mountainside Villas and one in the Shenandoah Villas at Killy Court.

The Mountainside Villas were absolutely fabulous with plenty of room, making them ideal for family dinners and the get togethers. The Shenandoah unit was actually three hotel rooms joined together and was not of the same caliber as the mountainside villas or the eagle trace units.

There was tons to do at the resort and we partook in most of it. Most of us purchased activity passes and played a lot of golf. The upper course was our favourite even though 9 of the 18 holes are under construction. Once these are done the upper course will be great. The lower course was nice but the two minor issues I have are A) the developement closing in what use to be a beautiful back nine. B) the ninth hole is NOWHERE near the clubhouse making a nine hole round awkward.

The new go karts are not included in the activity card but are well worth the $7. We had a great time on these carts.

While we did not go to the waterpark on this visit we did have a look through the complex and will probably give it a whirl next time!

All in all a great trip!

• Liked — The mountainside units were fabulous
  • Disliked — The Shenandoah Villas were basically hotel rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — NO high speed internet on site
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
13 Thank LikenDSun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2006

My family went for the free 3-day getaway in late Aug. Our sale rep was very professional, and we received no hassles after saying "NO" a few times. We were "let go" after a 2-hr presentation. The resort is big in area, and offers loads of activities. We enjoyed the swimming, summer tubing, and chair lift. The tickets were actually very reasonably priced. My family had a great time, especially my wife, who is hard to please. The only drawbacks were insufficient lighting at night given the hilly roads, and the lousy free breakfast before the presentation.

• Liked — A lot of things to do
  • Disliked — Hilly roads and insufficient lights
  • Tips/Secrets — Be mindful someone would sell you something if you're going for a freebie
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
16 Thank Trip_Review_DN
Long Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2006

Although i read mixed reviews my family had a great time. I traveled with 4 kids ranging from 4 months to 7 yrs old. my 5 and 7 yr old took advantage of the activity card that is $49. you save alot because there is good discounts for the camps and waterpark and also free stuff just for having the card. i would not recomend for the adults its $100 unless you are really going to do alot to make up that money. When you check in if they offer you breakfast or money or anything that is FREE they are trying to get you to sit in on their timeshare briefing. I knew about this from previous reviews so I just said NO and enjoyed my vacation. Very quit place. the pools are nice and there are lots of amenities to take advantage of. vist the massresort.com website. We stayed at the Eagle trace with full kitchen more than enough room and saved alot of money by going to the supermarket and cooking everything. This place is 5 miles from the other resorts. Next time i would rather stay at woodstone much closer to everything. Very enjoyable. We went to the waterpark 2 times during our stay it was really fun even for the adults. no crowded at all very short waits for even the tube rides.
if your looking for a family vacation here it is.

Stayed July 2006
16 Thank pepsigirl24
MARYLAND
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2006

I was very excited about having a free vacation for my family. I was told I would only have to listen to a 90 min presentation. I was scheduled for 8 am and it lasted til 4:00pm. I was VERY irritated. The sales rep was very polite, but the presentation goes on and on. I told him my children were waiting back at the hotel with friends and that they had not eaten and all the ploy was to get my husband and I to sign up. Even though I stressed the importance of not being able to take full advantage of the bonus offers, i.e. waterpark, golf, skylift offer, he still kept up his ploy. My children were very upset. I had wasted their entire day; which was supposed to be the best day. I was scheduled to check out that day by 11 am, so there was nothing to do but eat and get on the road. To make up a little, I took them to Luray Caverns which was a very nice experience. That made up some for there wasted time. The waterpark was very nice from the outside. I ended up buying, but after I have gotten home and read the fine print, I am canceling the contract. In hindsight, the whole presentation is a gimmick. Pay close attention to these reviews. You will find that what people are writing about is exactly how the game is played to get you to sign up. I wish I had read up on this resort prior to going. My dad often told me, " If it sounds to good to be true, it normally is!!" The resort itself appeared to very well kept and the staff was friendly. There is NO NIGHTLIFE after 10pm. This was a big disappointment. when you are on vacation, you expect to have things to do at least til 12 am. You must drive everywhere. There is no shuttle service available on the property to take you to the various spots. The water aerobics class was good for the body. to save yourself a regular workday with the sales rep- be adamant about your time restraints and if you didn't plan to buy, don't allow them to pressure you. They wear you out with the time and before you know it, u agree to buy just to get rid of them. take your tour the first day so you have the rest of the time to just vacation!!

• Liked — THE WATERPARK
  • Disliked — THE SALES PRESENTATION
  • Tips/Secrets — TAKE THE SALES TOUR ON YOUR FIRST DAY AND A THE LASTEST TIME POSSIBLE
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
16 Thank MISUDAD
Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2006

We were there over the Memorial Day holiday. We own at Massanutten, but it was our first time at our condo, since we usually trade. First of all, the condos are huge and comfortable. My in-laws stayed in the upstairs lock-out, which was just as big as our two bedroom downstairs unit. The only difference was that they didn't have a an oven, but they did have a gas grill.

It really is a family resort. I was a little bit bored, but somewhat by choosing. I was relaxing after all. I was disappointed that they advertised the driving range was open, when it wasn't! Most things were reasonably priced. I didn't play golf while I was there but the prices were reasonable. My wife and her mom did a couple of crafts and had a good time. My 14 year old also enjoyed it. Kayaking, biking, etc. was all available. The water park was fun. I'm not the waterpark type, but it was well worth spending a day there if your kids want to go.

Keep in mind that some people call Massanutten a "mass of nothing" because other than the resort, there is not much to do around it. You can go to some caverns, etc., in the area. We didn't eat at the resort, but there were two good barbeque joints right off the mountain.

Oh yeah, for everybody that complains about the pushy sales people, if you aren't there for a free weekend, just say no. I told the girl that called no I'm not going, and the next day her supervisor called with a "sweeter" deal. I just said no again and never heard from them again. You could also, when they ask you if you're married, say yes, but then hem and haw and say that the woman that's with you isn't your wife. That will get them off the phone!.

• Liked — great units
  • Disliked — have to drive everywhere
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with family
15 Thank Snerdog
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2006

An RCI exchange put us (family of five) into a two bed,two bath, nearly new condo. Lovely location, new water park (indoor and out), plenty of stuff to do. As a general comment, I think we're all getting a little tired of having to be charged for eveything we do on vacation. But I guess that's how it goes. $30 p/p for water park, horseback riding, canoeing, etc. Even a charge for a shuttle to take you hiking on the resort and for a ride on the one ski lift they keep open for a ride to the top of the mountain on the resort. Enough said. A lovely place none the less.

• Liked — Location and water park
  • Disliked — Thin walls in brand-new construction. Fee for everything.
  • Tips/Secrets — Hank's Smokehouse; excellent everything.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
21 Thank Five's_a_Crowd
Hilton Head
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2006

Thought I'd read some reviews before posting mine. WOW!!!

It amazes me how most of the reviewers focused their review on the 'sales pitch'; as though they didn't expect the resort to try to sell them something in exchange for all the freebies. Did they even notice that the place has everything under the sun to offer their guests? All ages, all interests, all seasons are covered here, and probably due mostly to the efforts of those 'pushy' salespeople.

It's obvious that Massanutten has piled much of those profits back into providing as much as possible for their paying guests/owners. As an RCI member (4 weeks) I can tell you first hand that you will find no resort that offers more. Most of the facilities (I/O pools, 2 fitness rooms, tennis, r-ball, v-ball, b-ball,hiking trails, parks, playgrounds, picnic areas w/ grills, spas and hot tubs, p-pong, saunas and steam rooms...) are free to members and guests. Yes, if you want to use the big ticket stuff, you'll pay as you go (skiing, waterpark all year long, game rooms & arcades, 36 holes of golf, driving range, 36 hole mini-golf, go cart racing, wine tours, canoe/kayak/raft/tubes on the river, climbing wall, horses, chairlift rides, private lessons for anything, specialty dinners w/ entertainment...Much more). Does anyone really expect to get these things for FREE? Please tell me where and I'll be the first to go! Most of the things that cost $$ can be free or heavily discounted if you're willing to buy their activity pass ($99 adult or $49 kids for the whole week). The waterpark comes to around $9 a day with this and a 6 day pass. Better than $50 for other parks, and it wasn't crowded at all. No lines anywhere!

I'm in sales myself, but on my vacation I'm no different than anyone else looking to relax and have fun. Our condo was lovely, the staff was casual and helpful, and the facilities and entertainment at this place never end. What else could anyone want... other than everything for free with no strings attatched?

Get my point? If you pay for your stay, you'll definately get your money's worth here. If you go for the 'freebies', expect a salesman in your face doing his/her job, hopefully professionally and persistently. Somebody's gotta pay for all that stuff!!!

• Liked — Fun galore
  • Disliked — Lack of high speed internet
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at least a week
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
24 Thank Parshooter68
Also consider these accommodations in or near McGaheysville
Sleep Inn & Suites Harrisonburg
Candlewood Suites Harrisonburg
Candlewood Suites Harrisonburg
#12 of 22 in Harrisonburg
Fairfield Inn & Suites Harrisonburg

Been to Massanutten Resort? Share your experiences!