“Great Resort!!! -- Beware of the Time Share Tour”
Review of Massanutten Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in McGaheysville
Massanutten Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in McGaheysville
Maryland
“Great Resort!!! -- Beware of the Time Share Tour”
Reviewed June 20, 2008

This huge resort is filled with a wide variety of great activities, beautiful surrounds, a top rate water park and even good food. You can stay on the campus for the entire trip. We had a blast. However be warned if you are going to to the timeshare tour. The 1 1/2 hour tour is more like 3 1/2 hours and if you chose not to purchase the timeshare deal, beware, because your upbeat, friendly tour guide will grow horns, turn red and pull out a pitch fork. We spoke to several who were there, as well as friends who have gone, and nearly all of us experienced 3 hour plus tour and a nasty tour guide who was rude, disrespectful and down right offensive. One gentleman stormed out of the room, leaving his wife and 2 young children, just to calm down. Beware of the tour, and if you are planning to purchase with RCI (the timeshare company), purchase at a different location. Do not encourage the high pressure, wolf-in-sheep's-clothing salespeople here.

• Liked — Beautiful balcony
  • Disliked — Bottom floor
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
79 Thank GDCMaryland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Turkish first
North Plainfield, New Jersey
Reviewed May 29, 2008

We did a long weekend over Memorial Day and we did it as an exchange against our Vacation Village in the Berkshires timeshare for $175. This was a great deal! There is so much to do and my 5 year old did NOT want to leave. This resort is HUGE (covers 10,000 SF or something crazy like that). There are pools galore (inside & out) and activities all over the place. We went to an Illusionist show for $5 (we got the activity card for free for agreeing to see the timeshare tour) which was worth it because we got into the water park for 1/2 price and other things for free and half price. We stayed in the Shenandoah Villas which has 2 bedrooms and a pull out couch, sleeping 6 (or more) very comfortably.
There was a full kitchen, large TV, huge jacuzzi tub in the upstairs bedroom as well as a deck, 2 bathrooms (only 1 shower though so that wasn't so good), and it felt a lot like home. There were a lot of stairs to climb to get up there and you need to bring spray for all the ants (they welcome themselves into the villa all the time). The portion that we stayed in could use some updating, but we couldn't complain, it was a great deal and we loved it so much we are trading our other timeshare for this one! The kids love it and that was the most important thing............and there's plenty to do, even if the weather isn't so great!

• Liked — It was within driving distance but we felt like we were far away from home!
  • Disliked — Needed some upgrades.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank stephensfam23
New York
Reviewed May 3, 2008

I went to Massanutten as a free gift from a timeshare presentation I did in the Berkshires. My family went for 4 days, 3 nights and paid only $50. We stayed in the standard hotel room which was simple and clean. Of course, we had to do the tour and timeshare presentation at Massanutten, but lucked out with great , understanding sales people that knew we were just there for the cheap vacation. They gave us a $150 Visa gift card at the end. We were also given free tickets to the Water park by the front desk. I have young children and they absolutely loved the Water park. Overall, I would recommend vacationing there. Lots of activities indoors and out. The resort is huge! All personnel we encountered were great. We did see some very pushy sales people that we were lucky not to get. Beware if you do the timeshare presentation. We were very, very nervous going there, but wound up having one of the best vacations we ever had. It was a very pleasant surprise.

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank benella8
Greenwich, CT
Reviewed April 30, 2008

We exchanged a timeshare week to go to Massanutten. This was our second visit to the resort. Both single moms, with two boys, ages 13 and 11. It is off season in April, but the warm weather starts early in VA. It was a mixed weather week, but there were enough activities both inside and out.

We purchased Activity Cards for the week.. $99 for each adult, and $69 for kids under 17. This gives you discounts on just about everything, and makes some activities, free. It is worth the money, if you like to do ALOT. We did ALOT.

There are many craft activities--making sun catchers, glass etching, basket making. Even the boys seemed to enjoy the glasses. My friend and I took a scuba class, which was in one of the indoor pools--no sea creatures, but a nice introduction to doing scuba, and only $15 with the activity card.

The boys are beginner golfers, and what a great place to be to take them out on a real course. Price for 9 holes with the activity card was $2.50. Yes, that is correct, $2.50!!!

The boys signed up for a golf clinic, where the pro gave them some individual attention, which will get them on the right road to playing golf. Seems they listened to him, and not to me!

There is entertainment several nights. We went to the Magic Show, which was very good, and the Comedian the next night--which was ok. But both were free with the Activity Card, and it got us out at night.

I took the dreaded Timeshare tour. It only lasted 2 hours, and for my time, we got the 2 Adult Activity Cards for free. I did not buy at the resort, and we still got the free cards.

There are bus tours to Washington, DC, and Vineyards. We did not do any of those, but they were not too expensive either.

We stayed in the Mountainside Villas, which sleep 8. It was a two bedroom, two bath unit, with a loft area. So the boys were able to have their own space, and not get on each other's nerves. We also had a jacuzzi tub, and a Sauna--which was quite a treat. We used it a couple of nights. We did not eat out much, so made good use of the well-stocked kitchen pots and pans. We saved our money for some of the activities.

We attended the Murder Mystery Dinner, which was $50 for adults, and $15 for the kids. It was ok. The food was very good, including Alaskan Crab Legs, and Prime Rib, and chicken. That was a fun night activity.

This would be a great place for a family reunion, because there are so many things to choose to do. You do need a car, as things are spread out over a mountain. Some up, and some down. Horseback riding is on site, and was good for the kids, thru the woods. An hour was $25 each.

If you do go, sign up for the activity classes early, as they do fill up, and you don't want to miss out on anything!

• Liked — Plenty of room, and a well stocked kitchen.
  • Disliked — Up and down the mountain
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank 50joanie
White Plains
Reviewed April 28, 2008

I just returned from a stay at Massanutten Resort and I can say that as long as you read the reviews and know what to expect, you won't be disappointed. We had the unit for a week, but only stayed for 5 days since we didn't want to take too much time off work. I went with my husband and son (18months) and we invited another couple and my brother in law. We had a 2 bedroom lockout Woodstone Unit- which was basically 2 1 bedroom units with a shared hallway. There was more than enough room for all of us. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at how clean and new the units were. You can tell things were on the new side and there was no dirt to be found, though I did notice a little mold/mildew on the shower frame. And speaking of showers, as nice as they looked, there was not very good water pressure in either unit and the jacuuzi tub takes a long time to fill.
The kitchens were well stocked and we loved the gas grills outside of the units, we bbqed twice in the 5 days we were there. We also ordered pizza on the resort, it was edible, but not very good. We had lunch at Fairways, which was actually pretty good. The service is very friendly, though you food does take a while. Right off the resort, we ordered dinner from the Log Cabin BBQ place and it was excellent and very reasonable.
As for the resort ammenities, we did get to try out a lot of things. The boys played on both golf courses (they played 4 times), but prefereed Woodstone because it was a little easier. My friend and I had massages at the spa. She wasn't thrilled with hers, but I though mine was pretty good. We also went to the water park, which is a great way to spend a day- maybe two. There wasn't that much for my 18month old to do, but he had fun in the childrens area and on the lazy river. I also took my son on a pony ride- even though it was really a full size horse. He absolutely loved it! It was $10 for about a 5 minute ride- not cheap, but not ridiculous. He also really enjoyed the park.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank nferrandi
VA
Reviewed April 19, 2008

I agree with a few of the others reviews about being surprised to find some negative comments. Visitors should have the benefit of more information about the resort.

Indeed, It is a family style resort with many varied types of Condo sizes and styles. I will mention a few, if allowed to share where I have actually stayed to help visitor choose unit preferences.

I have gone with friends and family skiing many times and have also gone in the summer (i.e. special events in the Summer- Especially on the July 4th with Entertainment in the open mountain area near the Ski Lodge which was very nice event - Many Locals even come to enjoy the activities).

Most of the accommodations on the resort are Condo with fireplaces and varying partial and full kitchen and a person's experience can be very different depending on the size, style and location of the condo unit. The Timeshare resort shares the mountain with private home owners.

Unfortunately, timeshare tours can vary in quality and usually do NOT provide adequate information on the varied units but instead on those for sale. Also, timeshare visits are most often in the hotels and do not provide one and two bedroom units that reflect the experience found in most of the accommodations on the mountain in small, medium and large condo's. Instead left with too much time with sales people and timeshare sales experiences instead of the resort activities.

I have been on a few of these timeshare tours and stayed at the hotels at this and other resorts. Some of the sales people were professional, one gave us a great tour of the Mass. mountain and brought us to the top with breathtaking views and showed us where some went on hikes. Unfortunately, some sales reps were rude and have found it to be the inconsistent nature of many timeshare sales/resorts tours. If you do not want a time share sales experience vacation, research activities and the atmosphere found at the the resort in a condo style vacation. Pick the unit style that meets your needs and stand firm on a NO with timeshares sales as the method to experience this resort, otherwise it may limit your stay and experience.

I have found Massanutten to be a nice Family Place as some have noted with multiple outdoor and two indoor, two golf courses, put-put, indoor and outdoor basketball courts, tennis courts, two golf courses one near check-in and one on the mountain, horse back riding, roller boarding, ski, snowboarding and snow tubing subject to conditions, game rooms, in and outdoor basket ball courts, tennis, suana, dry and wet steam rooms, a few small fishing area's. Wine tasting on the resort and some local shop keep events. Excersize room and SPA Facilities with Massages, manicure and pedicures. I have happily used the spa facilities often.

Opportunity for excursions, in near by area's, washington if not from the near by Washington area well as outdoor type excursion like boat/canoe and wine country excursion. Lot's of Flyers in the check-in for nearby independent trips from the resort.

If you enjoy mountain air and views in winter and/or summer, want a place to relax or perhaps participate in one of these activities this is a place you might want to try. Recently the small water park. I understand the resort is working on bringing some specialty stores in the future.

My child learned to fish and Ski on this Mass. mountain. I spent time in the steam room, got a pedicure and massage while some of my family and friends were on the slopes and we all got together in the evening for dinner. We received ski instructions from experienced mature instructors from elementary to intermediate skiing through the years.

It is not a large ski resort mountain and not very wide slopes or many slopes but it does have a nice variety from elementary to med diamond for a small east coast resort while also giving a brake from the slope with nice variety of activities off the slope. It is also less expensive than some of the other ski slope resorts.

Some of the Units I have stayed in in the last 10 years:
You can call resort for location and number of steps since all units can vary on steps to units and vary from none to many.

Mountainside Villa - Nice with Loft Bedrooms and many with dry Sauna but can have lots of out as well as to the loft (if stairs not a problem varied views some on the golf course on top of the mountain. Older units well maintained in my opinion. My Husband likes this Mountain Lodge style. I do not like the stairs in the unit and especially not the units with many stairs on the outside.

Once stayed in a small partial kitchen downstairs Shenandoah - too small and limited kitchen. Maybe the the larger full kitchen is nicer?

Eagle Trace Unit are Med nice townhouse style with many varied locations (and views) and their are some Small Eagle trace units (hotel conversion) styles and because of this they are cheaper to rent. As is sometimes the case you get what you pay for.

I prefer not to stay at the smaller hotel converted Eagle trace but sometimes you need to go with what's available so we did with some friends about 3 years ago, but only able toget these smaller units and keep group together. I reserved 10 units/families and a snow storm hit (even the Schools were closed back home and we extended our weekend a bit longer).

The Roads were constantly being cleared by the private mountain snow plowers but the snow would not stop (stayed in larger eagle trace and summit earlier years and concerned we would be disappointed) but instead most said they were happy to be in these in spite of them being smaller because the units were together and next to the snow tubing, not far from skiing and some walked. Especially with the snow storm.

Snow tubing with the snow was beautiful site with the view of the mountains around, felt like you were in a Winter snow globe. We tied a large number of tubs together with parents, teenagers and younger and had a Blast! I do not know if they still allow this, it makes the tubes go faster. Unfortunately, in recent years it has not snowed a lot and the resort can not control Mother Nature, so some of us went to higher colder mountains, a limitation with the weather and some east coast ski resorts.

We have also been on the slopes when near by college students have come to the mountain to ski during the week when the slopes were not as active.

One of my recent stays was in Nice newer Woodstone Units which is convenient to check-in, the newest golf coarse, the indoor/ outdoor pool and spas but not as convenient to the ski slopes and views are golf and valley views. Med to large multiple level townhouses.

The Summit is my favorite because it is on top of the mountain with some of the best views . Location vary greatly in view experience and distance from slopes. Since they are some of the largest units it can handle larger group. Very big tub with jets and big open space living space. Also, can find some unit with no or few stairs. Which is why after years of going to the resort I purchased one of the summit (be it not from one of the resort salespeople) I have enjoyed the resort enough to eventually buy the unit I liked best after viewing and visiting many more then the mere week purchased. Hopefully, in spite of this you will have the opportunity to benefit from my experiences with the resort.

It is not a large fancy expensive resort but a nice family clean resort with a variety of activities including some with nature. Whether single or not, people tend to bring their family and friends with them to enjoy Massanutten Resort together.

• Liked — Enjoy mountain atmosphere and Nature with family and freinds made possible with varied Unit Size
  • Disliked — The distance between units and varied activites
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank travelpal1
PA
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I enjoyed staying at Massanutten.. The Summit is a very big suite full kitchen and dining area. Two bedrooms one a master with private bath and another with two twins...The living room has a pull out queen couch. ..Also we had a very nice two person hot tub which we enjoyed ... The suite was very clean and I am fussy..... The negatives are the walls are to thin and we where in a bottom unit and heard peoplle above us alot.. Another negative was that the furniture was wabbley the kitchen table,the end table, and even one twin bed good thing my husband brought his leather and fixed them.. At the resort they have a a indoor water park which the kids enjoyed...The minature golf was ok very boring course nothing nice about it at all.... The kids wanted to do some snow stuff but found it to be very over priced so we skipped it..

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank sweetpoison76
Also consider these accommodations in or near McGaheysville
Sleep Inn & Suites Harrisonburg
Candlewood Suites Harrisonburg
Candlewood Suites Harrisonburg
#13 of 22 in Harrisonburg
Fairfield Inn & Suites Harrisonburg

Been to Massanutten Resort? Share your experiences!