“Decent Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Massanutten Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in McGaheysville
Massanutten Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in McGaheysville
Pikeville, North Carolina
“Decent Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We were able to reserve an efficiency unit through the AFVC. We did not realize how very small the efficiency units are so it was very crowded with two adults and two teens (aged 18 and 15). We were a bit disappointed that it's a nice hike to any of the amenities. We also found the unit to be dirtier then we expected (the floors were filthy). The upside is that we did find the resort to be centrally located to everything we wanted to do. We tubed down the river, rode horses, visited the on-site waterpark, and visited many local sites. Yes, we also did the timeshare presentation which was worth the 3 hours to get $100 in "mad money" which we spent on meals. We would not purchase here though.

Room Tip: Choose a top floor unit - our room was very quiet except some noise from adjoining neighbors!
3 Thank Danibran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We exchanged our Marriott Timeshare to stay at Massanutten to be close to the Shenandoah National Park where we wanted to do some hiking. Our confirmation said that check-in was 4:00 p.m. We weren't able to get into our condo until 6:30 pm which I found entirely unacceptable and then upon getting into our condo the smell of burnt popcorn was overwhelming. As someone else said, almost everything at the resort has a cost attached to it. The resort is huge and is not walkable at all. There is a hot tub the size of a small pool in the condo which I think is a big waste of water. A nice size jetted tub would be a nice touch but this is ridiculous. We stayed in the upper condo which had a screened porch and no grill. The lower condos have no screens but they have a grill on the deck/porch area. There is a stacking washer/dryer for the two condos on the lower level. Our friends had put their towels in the dryer one day when no one was in the lower level condo and when they came back people had moved into the lower condo and removed their towels from the dryer and didn't even leave them for them. I guess they thought they were theirs to use. The Fareways restaurant at the resort was very nice and our waitress, Meg was terrific. The proximity to the Park was as close as you could get by staying at a timeshare which was good for us since this is why we came. There are at least 5 pools at the resort but none are adult only. There were lots of kids and I would have appreciated a little quiet time at the pool when we returned from hiking. I would suggest making one of the pools adults only. We also booked a tubing trip ($25 per person). Since when we called on Tuesday to see if we could go out on the afternoon trip that day and it was booked, we scheduled a tubing trip for Thursday afternoon at 12:30. This had to be paid for in advance and there is a no cancellation policy. Canceling the trip is up to the company. Thursday came and at noon it was pouring down rain. No lightening or thunder but nevertheless, it was not just a light rain. We thought that the trip would be canceled, but no it was not and no refund was forthcoming. We are not wimps in the least but didn't think that being rained on would be much fun. The bottom line is that we have seen and done the Shenandoah National Park and I have no intention of returning to this resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank samswalker
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Went for a weekend and I thought the place we stayed in was pretty nice! The tv was a little outdated...but it was a spacy unit. The tour was long...but nice...I saw a few things I didn't like...but not enough to complain about! My sister, my 3 children & I are now apart of the Massanutten family (new owner). Bottom line, the look on my children's faces every time we did something on the mountain was priceless... & that's all that mattered to me....we had never been on a family vacation before...and I wanted to have that as long as we can...they won't be small forever! It's a great place for families...and even just a quiet getawayfor a couple or a loner! The waterpark is one of the best in the country...and the food in the restaurant is good! #twothumbsup

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank yonnisoul827
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

First time at Massanutten and very happy with our RCI booking for a week in the Regal Vistas. All homes are new and can be reserved as two bedroom lock off or a 4 bedroom entire home. Spacious and clean with modern appliances, kitchen, and bathrooms - huge TVs in every room. This resort has it all from hiking trials, go karts, waterpark, golfing, daycare, spa, kids activities and more. We will definitely return again!

7 Thank Katiejanegirl
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at the condo's at Woodstone at Massanutten. We stayed for 7 days due to someone giving us the time to go through their time share. I have to admit, I was surprised at how nice our room was and the amount of things to do.On thing to beware of is that when they as you to use your card for incidentals for your room, only if you want to use, they will tell you there is no charge on it..But they will put a $300.00 hold on it without telling you, and then put it back if you do not use it for any room charges. My advice would not be to give them your card for incidentals...
We decided to do the Activity Cards which did save a little money of the activities. There are a ton of things to do each day, but you will still pay a discounted priced for some of the activities. Some are free, but there still are fees that you will pay based off of what you want to do. We made more money back in doing the Time share presentation. They will offer you an array of deals that suite your needs, to get you to do the tour. My advise is to do the tour on a rainy day if you have one during you stay. It will take 2 to 3 hrs. On our day, we luck up and got a great salesman and crew that took us around. I know they use all kind of tactics to get you to buy, but we did enjoy our tour of the whole resort. Based on the research and knowing we wanted to eventually get a timeshare anyway, we decided to go with a deal that worked for us. There is a difference is the Woodstone Condo's and the hotels at Massenutten, so don't get it confused. I am seeing that the rating change off of where you stay at the resort. This can be rather expensive if you don't plan you stay. My advise would be to download the activities you want to do, call the concierge desk to chat about your options before you go, and know each day what you at least are planning to do, and adjust where you need to. The water park is very nice with a huge Arcade, restaurants and some other nice things. It is much larger than Great Wolf Lodge with the exception of the Tornado water slide that most of the GWLodges have.

Over all, I am looking forward to going back and have some fun time with my family at this resort. Just make sure you plan things out before you go, in knowing your budget. I am know an new owner here and I think it was a good investment. :)

6 Thank man1et
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

The Resort itself I would return to but the staff needs some motivation(maybe a little happy music or something). The price for a room was really great! However with this being our first visit there was no real account for the EXTRA expenses, from what I understood even if you own their timeshare, you have to pay for activity passes (current deal is $99 for a pass, and yes you do still have to pay for the BEST activities its just at a "discounted rate"). The prices ranged from free to like $50/adult that's not including the kid(s) in several different activities(w/o a pass). We read in their activities booklet that their Waterpark( LOADS of FUN!!!) has two passes to CHOOSE from, but when we got there we had no choice but to pay for ALL DAY PASSES, we had plans to do several events that day the waterpark was suppose to be just one of them. The price for (2) adults and (1)4y/o($26) was $104, plus you had to get a locker $10. This was absurd, being as though there was restrictions placed on using some of the water areas. If I pay $120 for my family to be entertained, I want all accommodations to be made so that no matter the age there is a way to make it happen, and IF not then they should have some kind of age advisory. The place isn't super exciting and the activities are pretty spaced out; you will definitely need a vehicle to get around. Only reason I give them "VERY GOOD" is because of the scenery...THAT'S Pretty much it. If you're out late or a night owl there is nothing for you to do here. You would have to drive 15mins up the road to get food unless you don't mind the Convenient store in the gas station, which is still about 5mins away in the car. It's pretty good for entertaining a family with different interest of entertainment, but you WILL definitely pay for it! Money Scale $-$$$$, We stayed there for 2nights in a double bed room with 2 adults and 3 children from the ages of 1-4years and we spent $500 for food(in and out of resort), entertainment, and gas. I give it $$$and a half. Come prepared to spend. I definitely didn't leave feeling like I got $500 worth of vacation, fun, customer service, or quality. If I'm on vacation I want everyone to around me to make the surroundings feel like a vacation! Especially for that kind of dough.

Room Tip: Be specific with what kind of "great view" you're looking for. We asked for a great vi...
5 Thank Ash G
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

All aspects of the resort were very good with one exception. At check-in we were offered two free Activity cards ($198 value) if we heard a two hour presentation. We agreed - what a mistake. After two hours we were stuck in the sales guys car in a remote area of the resort. He said the presentation was going to take at least another two hours and if we didn't want to our credit card would be charged. The conversation then got ugly. Wasting 4 hours of your vacation isn't worth it. Overall a great resort. Just stay away from the time share trash.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor - no noise problems. Check out Luray caverns and Montacello.
4 Thank Ruslan0510
Also consider these accommodations in or near McGaheysville
Sleep Inn & Suites Harrisonburg
Candlewood Suites Harrisonburg
Candlewood Suites Harrisonburg
#11 of 22 in Harrisonburg
Fairfield Inn & Suites Harrisonburg

Been to Massanutten Resort? Share your experiences!