“One of the Best”
Review of Massanutten Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in McGaheysville
Massanutten Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in McGaheysville
New Mexico, United States of America
“One of the Best”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have a hard time seeing how this resort can be ranked less than 4 stars by anyone who has been to many RCI member locations. I have been to a number of RCI 'resorts' that were nothing but glorified hotels/motels or condos, even if fairly nice. Very few have anywhere near the activities this park does, nor are the size in square miles. There is even a wilderness area on the west side. Not only the amenities (2 golf courses, pools, indoor/outdoor water park, skiing, restaurants, grocery, trails, etc.), but they often have entertainment such as magic or comedy shows, scheduled activities such as various crafts, water aerobics, art, photography class, etc., of which I have participated in my 2 visits there. We are back this year for a third time! Yes, these activities usually have a nominal fee ($5-15 for most), but worth it. The skiing & water park are a bit expensive, but less than most throughout this country. The units I have been in are clean & well kept, and the resort itself (and the area in which it is located) is gorgeous. I would suggest visiting a few of the very good wineries in the area on a day drive, as well as a cavern tour or two (Luray is a nice day drive and is one of the best caverns in the USA to visit, although 'touristy' (I have been through at least 10 caverns in various states), and it has a great car museum included in the admission. There are several others to visit nearby as well. The Civil War museum at New Market north of Harrisonburg was a real surprise---really excellent (much better than Manassas), and inexpensive. Staunton is a neat town south of Harrisonburg, and has a cool village nearby with 17th century buildings from England & the US (actual ones, not copies) with workers wearing costumes of that era (also inexpensive admission). Monticello & The U of Virginia gardens are not to be missed if possible, and James Madison's home is a good tour as well. Depending on the season there is river rafting nearby as well, although I have not been there during those seasons. All in all, a great place to visit. I want to mention that I am a member there, but do not feel this violates the Trip Advisor 'relationship' test agreement, as I am very objective, and have not been asked to give a review by anyone, nor gain personally from a positive review. I have not stayed in the 'motel' on this site, only in the time-share condos, as I indicated above. I have stayed in RCI member locations in Canada, Hawaii, & California as well, and visited (but not stayed at) a few other locations as well.

Room Tip: Have stayed in the Summitt area & Woodstone, and both were very nice. The full kitchen rooms are...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank nixster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Turkish first
Brinston
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and I just stayed at the Woodstone, our 2 bedroom condo was very spacious and clean. We had a mountain view from the front balcony and golf course view from the back balcony. We are looking forward to returning with family next time. We got a couple of messages asking if we were interested in a timeshare presentation and one call in person. We declined and that was the end of it, no big pressure. We drove the northern half of the Skyline drive, amazing views, we'll do the other half next time. Lots to do and lots to see!

Room Tip: The Woodstone was on fairly level ground, some of the other condos withinthe resort were built on t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Donna L
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I spent a week here recently for our 25th wedding anniversary. We both thought the resort was very good. This was our first time in the area so we really looking for a place to stay so we could get out and see all the things the area provided. The resort does seem to provide just about anything for the entire family. The only negative thing was the food at the restaurants we felt could have been better. We did find a great place to eat across the road at the entrance to the resort on Hwy 33 called Shyline Cafe. We thought the food there was excellent for breakfast, lunch or dinner (Thursday - Saturday).

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lynn B
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Woodstone units around the golf course are spacious with lovely views of the mountains.
There are many places in the Shenandoah valley to visit for day trips, as well as taking part in activities at the resort.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Barbara P
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Very aggressive and rude sales team. What they said would be a 10-15 minute confirmation to claim the price my wife supposedly won turned into an hour long heckling with the sales person trying to force my wife to give he credit card details. When I tried to intervene and request to get the information and confirmation of the prize via email first the sales person rudely told me I should let her finish with my wife and not interfere. The so called prize turned out to require us to drive 2hrs away to attend a 90minute presentation where we would aggressively be solicited with buying timeshares. So don't fall for any "prize" or subject yourself to some aggressive presentation whereby if u still not interested in buying timeshares the wicked sales team will be rude to you. Save yourself from the torture. It's not worth it.

• Stayed September 2012
6 Thank Fruitjuice77

Travelers are raving about these McGaheysville hotels

Douglasville, Georgia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Just spent a week here. There are plenty of things to do for the entire family. Us old folks, my husband and I, enjoyed the wine lovers dinner, the Civil War tour and the brewery tour. We also loved the dinner mystery theater. Both dinner were excellent; food good, well prepared and presented. Of course, you meet some pretty great people at these dinners. We also had a lot of fun with our brewery tour guide, Cody. He calls himself our "party captain", which he was. The chairlift ride to the top of the mountain was really nice; even one of us who is a little nervous about heights was pleased. We took some awesome pictures of the Shenandoah Valley from atop the mouontain. The suite was great; good beds, comfortable sofa and chair. All in all, we had a quite enjoyable week.

Room Tip: Food prices are better outside the resort. Hanks BBQ is good. and so is Romano's Italian Bistro...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Barbara O
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Our parents own time shares and gave us a week here. It's advertised in their literature as a Gold Crown Resort - the best you can get. It was an OK place to stay, but certainly NOT Gold Crown standard. There were so many little things wrong I don't think I could list them all. The floors turned our socks black, the deck area was only accessible by going thru a bedroom and hadn't been cleaned for a very long time. (To their credit, housekeeping responded immediately to remedy that problem and bring more dishes and silverware) Bed frames were bolted to the wall and rattled against it every time someone moved, fixtures were hung crooked, frig was so loud at times you couldn't hear the TV . . . . . .
Long story, shorter, we'd never recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tlpeck1
Also consider these accommodations in or near McGaheysville
Sleep Inn & Suites Harrisonburg
Residence Inn Harrisonburg
#1 of 22 in Harrisonburg
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Harrisonburg
Fairfield Inn & Suites Harrisonburg

Been to Massanutten Resort? Share your experiences!