WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Super 8 Chiswell/Max Meadows Area

Super 8 Chiswell/Max Meadows Area
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Max Meadows
BARBERTON
“Manager excellent, staff friendly and helpful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Hotel was clean, needs clocks they do not work. We have stayed here before and the clocks have never worked. The beds are clean, bug free, I always check. Breakfast is adequate for the price of the hotel. I am looking for a clean place to sleep at a good price. I am not interested in the HAMPTON INN and paying for the great decor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Savannah, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

My husband and I were travelling back from NY to GA and needed a place to crash for the night. The room door had a gap under it enough for any roach to come in. I fell asleep at 11pm and was awakened by some idiot yapping through the wall. Fell asleep again at 1am and the drunks started hollaring on the balcony in front of our door. I called the front desk and the girl said she'd "try to find their room and ask them to be quiet" I called back and said they are hanging out hollaring outside the door and may not even have a room. She rudely told me she would deal with it and they disappeared seconds later. I think she did nothing and they just happened to take off. We learned our lesson from this place. If you travel, travel classy or stay home. Leave these holes for the trash

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sarah_S55324
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stopped at three Super 8's on my recent trip, and this was the worst of the three - But read on, it wasn't horrible!
This was the kind of road trip where I am looking for a cheap place to crash for a few hours. I chose lodging based on low price and desirable location for a stop. Beyond that, my criteria are that the place be clean, secure and functional. It has beeen a long time since I tried a Super 8, and my recollection was of a cheap, marginal place to stay. This was a little better than what I remembered. The building is nice. The desk clerk was pleasant and efficient. The room was clean and secure. The microwave, fridge and coffee maker were all clean and functional. Really, the only problems were a slow-draining sink and some really well-worn furniture pieces. Outside noise was abundant, but somehow was nearly inaudible inside. Oh yeah, probably the biggest problem was that it sounded like there was a basketball team upstairs, practicing and rearraanging furniture until about 1:30 AM. When I checked out, I mentioned it, and the desk clerk said I shouldd have said something before. I pointed out that complainers are readily identified by complainees, and I really didn't need the hassle - Besides, I managed to get six hours of sleep, and rude/noisy guests may be the motel's responsibility to address, but they are an unavoidable nuisance in any hotel (The noisiest neighbor I can ever recall was in a $400/night accommodation). I'd probably stay here again if my itinerary made it a logical place to stop. BTW, I found the one review characterizing thiss place as "pricey" to be funny. I paid $44 plus tax, but anything under $70 is unusually cheap in that area. I guess I was just happy to find something less than the $120+ that's common where I live.
One observation - If you want the Ritz, don't stay at a budget lodging. They keep their prices low by economizing on what they give you.

Room Tip: If you go for the second floor, there won't be anybody banging around over your head.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Raleigh, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

I stayed here on a Friday night, in hopes of finding a motel a bit cheaper than the ones further down I-77 near Hillsville. This one was slightly cheaper, but not much more- with taxes, the total came to around $62 for the night (single, non-smoking)

I got a ground-floor room on the far end of the motel, and there were a fair number of people staying here. I didn't have any problems with my room- I didn't have any of the smell/mold issues; the bathroom and beds were clean, with no pests. There were some slight maintenance/cosmetic issues, but nothing that affected me. The TV worked fine, and the Internet wi-fi worked the first time without any password, and was fairly fast. I used my own alarm clock, but other than that, everything worked as well as I needed it.

The price still seemed a bit steep, although it was Memorial Day weekend. This motel is in the first off-ramp past the I-77/I-81 interchange and has a McDonald's and gas station, but there are other, more significant motel/restaurant districts at the next district and further along the highway into Wytheville. It might be worth checking to see what prices are like an exit or two further west along I-81.

Overall, I'm happy with the stay, I wish it was a bit less costly, but had no other complaints. Everything worked, and I got a good night's sleep.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
La Quinta Inn Wytheville
La Quinta Inn Wytheville
#7 of 20 in Wytheville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wytheville

Been to Super 8 Chiswell/Max Meadows Area? Share your experiences!