“Still somewhat pricey, but no significant problems” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Chiswell/Max Meadows Area

Super 8 Chiswell/Max Meadows Area
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Max Meadows
Raleigh, NC
“Still somewhat pricey, but no significant problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I stayed here on a Friday night, in hopes of finding a motel a bit cheaper than the ones further down I-77 near Hillsville. This one was slightly cheaper, but not much more- with taxes, the total came to around $62 for the night (single, non-smoking)

I got a ground-floor room on the far end of the motel, and there were a fair number of people staying here. I didn't have any problems with my room- I didn't have any of the smell/mold issues; the bathroom and beds were clean, with no pests. There were some slight maintenance/cosmetic issues, but nothing that affected me. The TV worked fine, and the Internet wi-fi worked the first time without any password, and was fairly fast. I used my own alarm clock, but other than that, everything worked as well as I needed it.

The price still seemed a bit steep, although it was Memorial Day weekend. This motel is in the first off-ramp past the I-77/I-81 interchange and has a McDonald's and gas station, but there are other, more significant motel/restaurant districts at the next district and further along the highway into Wytheville. It might be worth checking to see what prices are like an exit or two further west along I-81.

Overall, I'm happy with the stay, I wish it was a bit less costly, but had no other complaints. Everything worked, and I got a good night's sleep.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

The staff member at the counter was very friendly and helpful. She gave us directions to our room... and when we pulled around to the back to enter our room, we noticed a cop that appeared to be routinely circling the premises. Among entering the room, several mosquitos flew out the door as if they were saying, "Get me the hell out of this place!" We quickly knew why. The mold on the bathroom ceiling was so bad that I felt compelled to photograph it. The sink was so clogged that I could not run the water long enough to brush my teeth without turning it off to allow it to drain. When taking a shower (in flip flops! due to the mildew around the drain) the water backed up to my ankles. The floor was covered with hair and the toilet had urine on it. I slept on top of the blankets, with every inch of my body covered with my clothing. Luckily the room did not get hot. The deadbolt to the door was broken... with some of the parts missing. The jack and Jill door to the neighbors room was beyond sketchy. If we would have opened the mysterious door at the same time, we would have been face to face with a stranger. Needless to say, I snapped another picture and wedged a chair with heavy suitcases on top in front of the door. I slept with a light on... just in case! On the way home, we booked ahead at the Country Inn in Wytheville, where I am laying in a comfortable, safe, and very clean room writing this review. It was only $30 more... and more worth it than I could ever explain.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank HMBpitt
niagara falls, canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

There was mold in the bathroom, very run down and tattered.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

Stayed here September 2nd with my husband. I will just say...never again! Bunch of trashy drunks hung out right outside our room all night, rooms were not clean at all, and we paid 100 bucks for the nastiest room I have ever stayed in my whole life!! Next time we r staying in WYTHVILLE!!! DO NOT STAY AT THIS ROACH MOTEL!

• Stayed September 2011
welland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed here with our 3 children. We didn't want something too expensive as we were just driving through from Florida to Canada and needed somewhere to stop overnight. My husband had planned it out before we left to stay at this hotel. The outside looks pleasant enough, but the room was not to satisfaction. When we walked into the room which was entered from directly outside, the room was quite warm, so when we put the air conditioner on, the room immediately started to smell of urine, not to mention the air conditioner was so noisy we couldn't speak to each other without yelling. The rugs were absolutely disgusting! My 3 children's feet were as black as the asphalt outside. We had to have them wear their shoes when ever getting off the bed. We had a baby with us and required a crib. Couldn't believe that the wanted to charge us an additional $15 to have the crib in our room. I think a crib should be something that is complimentary....I could see having to pay extra for a cot, but a crib, come on! Needless to say, did not get a whole lot of sleep with a baby between my husband and I, a smelly and noisy room. The hotel staff were friendly enough. The so-called continental breakfast was a joke. Not enough there to feed a mouse, so we left and went to McDonald's across the highway. Would not stay here again or recommend to anyone, unless they're a pig!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Lenoir, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

We stayed at this Super 8 over this past weekend. We were up for the big Hillsville flea market event and wanted to stay just a little away from the excitement. Our room seemed clean enough, though when I went to use the bathroom, there was urine on the back of the toilet. I thought maybe one of my family members we were traveling with had had himself an accident. To my dismay, when I got in the shower, it was clear the tub and fixtures had not been cleaned in sometime. There was this pink gunk around the top of the faucet where the shower lever is. The bathroom floors also did not look very clean. The towels left stray hair (not ours) on us when we would dry off out of the shower. I had to wash the coffee pot before using it for my husband's coffee. The bed my children slept in, actually had what appeared to be blood on the box springs part. I cannot say for sure what exactly it was because I did not ask. The rooms were already paid for by our travel companions so I did not complain to anyone. I do know once we got home, we all took a very hot cleansing shower.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

The Super 8 is the cheapest hotel in Max Meadows/Ft. Chiswell, and it looks it. This is an older property, which looks a little rundown. The front desk clerk was prompt and professional and the room seemed pretty clean, if not threadbare. Get a room on the 2nd floor, because the floorboards creaked and I'd hate to hear that all night. The mattresses are firm and there are plenty of pillows. The bathroom plumbing is passable. The AC unit was very loud on the highest setting. In all, it seemed a good place to crash for the night or rest after a jaunt through the nearby state park. Also, if you take a left turn out of the parking lot, there's a great little grocery store about a mile down. You will probably have to drive to Wytheville for a sit down meal.

Also, skip the outlet mall. Only four stores remain open, and they are extremely expensive and useless.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Holiday Inn Express and Suites Wytheville
The Bolling Wilson Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Red Roof Inn & Suites Wytheville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wytheville

Been to Super 8 Chiswell/Max Meadows Area? Share your experiences!