“Lovely room and with no reservation”

Hampton Inn Martinsville
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Martinsville
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I was a bit wary of walking in to a hotel without a prior reservation. I traveled across country several years ago, and we always made a reservation by late afternoon by telephone. However, one evening in August, my husband and I found ourselves in Martinsville, VA, and he was road weary. We pulled up to the Hampton Inn, which my GPS led us to by a rather circuitous route from Route 58, and the manager assured us that the rate she quoted was the lowest she was allowed to offer. I was a little dubious and even asked if I would find a cheaper rate on my computer once I was in my room, but she just assured me that this rate was her lowest. It was $105, including tax and free breakfast. I thought it was a bit high for such an off-the-wall location, but we paid and headed for our room. When we opened the door to our room, we found the manager had given us a lovely suite with a whirlpool bathtub, sofa, and large TV. We were pleasantly surprised at the upgrade, considering I had let my Hilton Honors card lapse last year. There was an Applebee's close by, where we ate supper, and the free breakfast the next morning was above average. Everything about the hotel seemed clean and modern in appearance. I don't attend NASCAR events, but I'm sure this hotel is tops with the fans when the race is in Martinsville.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank wowgirl3

Reviewed October 29, 2010

Typical great Hampton amenities. Very nice front desk. Nothing wrong here. Will return. thanx!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
6  Thank Michael A
Reviewed September 15, 2010

We stayed at the Martinsville Hampton while attending a class. The hotel was the typical good quality that you would expect from a Hampton. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was very good. The only drawback to this hotel is the location. There were not many eating places nearby other than fast food.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank newgeezer
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I was very pleased with this hotel. There isn't much in Martinsville, but if you're there... this is a good place to stay with restaurants and a Wal-Mart with a mile or so.
The rooms were clean and the front desk staff wonderful.
I would definately stay again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Molly66
Reviewed July 13, 2010

The staff at the front desk was very accommodating. The room is clean and the food at breakfast was very good. I will stay here while in Martinsville!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank 4ashby
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Booked this hotel online for our baseball team on a state tournament. Got our rooms for $7, 9 per night. Very nice front staff. Room was very nice....clean...very updated....great beds with plush mattresses and pillows....nice and roomy....nice bathroom. Pool was small but fine, our boys loved it. Our room was next door to the ice machine and it did sound like a sea monster was in our room with the machine going off throughout the night, lol....but overall a good nights rest. Nice little laundry room to wash our uniforms in. Breakfast the next morning was wonderful, gravy and biscuits...waffles....sausage...eggs....assorted cereals, breads. The lady taking care of it was a little frazzled...very unprofessional, cussing and complaining. But I guess she had had a bad morning with another team who was there before us. Overall tho, was a nice stay..would go there again!

• Stayed: May 2010
1  Thank vanomad
Reviewed March 2, 2010

If you are a fan of Hampton Inns, then you know what to expect and this one in Martinsville will not disappoint.

The inn is in great shape...so good in fact that when the road "Hampton Drive" did not appear on my GPS, I assumed that this must be a brand new property. I was surprised to read here that it has been around for at least 5 years. Very fresh, very crisp and up to date.

The room decor doesn't seem to be quite Hampton Inn issue. The color palette seemed to be lighter, if not brighter, than what I have observed in other Hampton stays. I thought that this actually sacrificed some of the "coziness" that I enjoy in a Hampton room, but it was a minor point. Old style non-flat screen tv was only adequate and cable reception was often staticky. Room was clean and fresh smelling. Bed was comfy, wireless internet access was snappy and the room was in good repair.

The staff was quite attentive, attend to a couple of needs quickly and efficiently. Further, they seemed to be proud of the property and wanted to make a good impression.

Having said that, breakfast was only OK. Though I visited with more than an hour remaining in the service, supplies of several items were depleted and not replaced including milk, yogurt and bread. The breakfast attendant made only one brief appearance and was gone. Further, I am not expecting farm fresh scrambled eggs, but the instant ones I found in the chafing dish were a mess. They had been mixed into the size of small marbles and had the consistency of a pencil eraser...can't imagine that they followed the directions on the box. The microwavable entrees that some Hampton's use were far preferable. This may have been an anomaly and I was able to cobble together a nice breakfast from the other items available.

Common areas were clean and well kept. The maintenance man was seen several times attending to one thing or another and was quite friendly. The location of the elevator is a bit odd and counterintuitive, not to mention very slow.

On the whole, all gripes are minor. Much more to like than not. If you've got to be in Martinsville...this is a good choice.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank veggieracer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Martinsville
Comfort Inn Martinsville
Baymont Inn & Suites Eden
Hampton Inn Eden
Hampton Inn Eden
#1 of 3 in Eden

Been to Hampton Inn Martinsville? Share your experiences!