“Very relaxing.”

Hungry Mother State Park
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Marion
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I live near here and my family and I enjoy riding our boat & fishing on the lake. There are way too many things to list that you can do here. It is so peaceful you can just feel the stress leaving when you drive by the lake. I would recommend a getaway here for a weekend or camping the whole week.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

As the parents of 7-year-old twins, we try to do fun things with the boys. We decided to take a vacation close to home this year so we camped for a week in a pop-up at Hungry Mother State Park. It was one of the cheapest vacations we have ever taken, but it was also among the best! We stayed at Campground B, which has really nice camping facilities and has easy access to everything in the park. We hiked every day, spent time on the beautiful beach every day (which was so relaxing), fished, and took part in the programs offered by the park. One evening, we paid $4 each and took a canoe ride. My husband and I had never set foot on a canoe before, but found it easier than using the paddle boats! Our boys were absolutely thrilled with it! Many of the programs are free. One night, we went to the Owl Prowl, which was very educational and fun (rangers gave an informational program, played games with those who came, and tried to call owls in for viewing). Another night, we went to the "island" for the Smores program, which also had lots of information about park animals. We cooked around the campfire a lot, but we also discovered a nearby Little Caesar's (near Walmart if you forget something) that had a drive-thru where you could get a large pepperoni or cheese pizza for under $7. El Puerta Mexican restaurant had great food and was less than $20 for a family of four! There is also a nearby drive-in movie where you can either sit in your car or take blankets and chairs to sit on a grass strip in front of your car. The owner of the drive-in movie also has an amazing ice cream shop (very reasonable and good) with a putt-putt golf course behind it. This was one of our all-time favorite vacations!

9  Thank Twinsmama
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My sister and I heard from a local in Damascus that there was an arts festival going on in Hungry Mother State Park during our stay. We decided to check it out. The arts festival was a lot of fun -- it was all set up in an area by the lake, full of local vendors and artisans, and lots of food. We also thought we might hike around, but realized that the hikes were really more like "walks in the woods" than a mountain hike (with rocks, streams, and pretty overlooks). There is a lovely lake and beach area, good for canoeing and paddle boating. It also has a lot of camping and cabins. This is a very nice park, just be aware that it is more recreational than it is "mountainous."

1  Thank Letsgosomewherecool
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed 4 nights at Hungry Mother State Park. We camped in Campground C. There is no electricity but the campsites are a bit further apart than the other campgrounds in the park and no RVs with their noisy air conditioning systems. You set up your tent on a deck (there is a pic with another review) which is quite unique but very easy. It's also great for when it rains (which it did quite often!). There is a beautiful lake, great hiking and biking trails and the restaurant has delicious food, large portions and reasonable prices - especially considering the portions. The entire park staff was extremely helpful, informative and very pleasant. We can't wait to return.

The campground is approximately 1 hr from New River Trails State Park (primitive camping - thus we did not stay there) where you can pick up the New River Trail bike path. For a fee they drove us from Foster Falls to Galax where you can pick up the trail and we biked the 32 miles back to Foster Falls. You can continue on the trail if you so desire all the way to Pulaski, VA.

2  Thank SassyPh
Reviewed July 8, 2013

has a fantastic restaurant, picnic sites, and even beach area for swimming in the lake - playground - cabin and paddle boat rentals too. my family has been coming here for as long as i can remember. very nice, beautiful area.

3  Thank tripeeblonde