“Flavor is everything!”

The Speakeasy
Ranked #4 of 41 Restaurants in Marion
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: A charming full service dining room and a cozy lounge and bar. A wide variety of menu options, sandwiches, burgers and our signature steaks; along with house specialty entrees Desserts are divine. Eat in, take out and room service. Meeting rooms, private dining and outdoor dining; catering onsite and offsite.
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Oh, my! I didn't know there was a way to make a hamburger taste that good! That was my first experience with the Black Rooster. The chef is creative and knows how to bring out the flavor of even the simplest foods. It's located in the front of the Francis Marion Hotel in the middle of the town and is probably the best place to eat for 30 miles in all directions!

1  Thank Ocraholic

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Shared dinner with business colleagues mid-week. Service was terrific. Menu choices seemed limited but the food was pretty good, expecially considering the town doesn't really have many reaons for folks to stop and stay. I had started with a salad with a nice poppyseed viniagrette; I was a bit surprised about the lack of veggies on the fancy greens (one half of one cucumber, chopped quite small, maybe a couple cherrie tomatoes). I didn't sample the bread basket, it looked like pretty standard French rolls. With dinner, I had the Chateu St. Michelle chard which was surprisingly good (our group also sampled a super-dry Shiraz and better tasting Malbec, alas I don't'recall the vineyards).
My main course was the blackened Carolina trout, which was tasty (though just a smidge peppery), with crunchy potatoes, nicely seasoned. Dessert was quite yummy, chocolate mousse cake. Service was quite excellent and made the meal enjoyable.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed great food, large portions, reasonable prices and great, friendly service! Who could ask for more?!

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Food was good. I think I had a hamburger and a couple of beers. Burger was good. It would have been nice to have a couple more local microbrews on tap but overall a very good dining experience!

1  Thank Chris P
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My family stayed at the Francis Marion hotel while, my brothers and I went hiking on the Appalachian Trail. My parents and I waited in the Black Rooster for the st of our party to arrive. The atmosphere was comfortable. The staff was friendly and on-the-spot.

In the morning, they served a continental breakfast to patrons of the hotel. Fresh cooked scrambled eggs and waffles were prepaid by a nice lady on staff. There were a good selection of premade options as one would expect at a pcontinental breakfast. Plenty of juice and coffee.

A pleasant atmosphere, while we were there it didn't see to be a bustling crowded restaurant mostly hotel guests and a few locals at dinner hour.

Been to The Speakeasy? Share your experiences!