“My world was rocked.”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Caracas, Venezuela
“My world was rocked.”
Reviewed January 29, 2011

I had a fabulous time visiting the Bav Chef during Restaurant Week. I was in a party of 8, and despite our rowdiness, the wait staff was incredibly accommodating and friendly. Everyone was delighted with all three courses we had. The quality and quantity of food we received was excellent. The beer selection was also fantastic. I talked to everyone about my experience at the Bav Chef, and some friends even took my word for it and tried it out themselves and also greatly enjoyed their dining experience. To top it all off, the Restaurant Week prices made it a steal. Keep up the good work!

• Visited January 2011

Elkton, Virginia
“Horrible. What a waste of time and money!”
Reviewed January 10, 2011

The atmosphere was warm and cozy. The food however, was a completely different story. I was in a party of 4, each one of us ordered a different entree. None of us could even attempt to eat our meals, even though we were hungry. The food was cold, sickening sweet, the Orange Chicken tasted similar to disinfectant, the Baden Baden Goulasch veal tasted freezer burnt and the Cordon Bleu was nothing like authentic Cordon Bleu. Having spent my most of my life in France and Germany, I think I would know. Thank goodness one of use ordered the roasted chicken which we split 4 ways. The waitress asked if she could box our leftovers and I said yes, however, she never did return with the doggie bags. I guess my dog wouldn't have eaten it either, so no great loss, except for the 100 dollars plus tax meal.

• Visited January 2011
6 Thank BachelorScience
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“If you want authentic Bavarian cuisine, go to Bavaria.”
Reviewed November 23, 2010

I had heard good things about the Bavarian Chef and always pass it on the way from DC to Charlottesville. I finally tried it with my family this past Saturday. The service was good and the wait staff were attentive. However, the food left a lot to be desired. While the portions were huge the food was bland, overcooked and overly sweet. Most of the family style side dishes were so sugary sweet they could be classified as a dessert. I have spent some time in Bavaria and while the dishes are reflective of what is served there, the flavors are not. When I want authentic German food I will make it myself at home.

2 Thank DCGal03
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Fabulous Food and Service at The Bavarian Chef Fredericksburg”
Reviewed November 12, 2010

Our two wonderful dinner occasions at the Bavarian Chef Fredericksburg have exceeded our high expectations – friends had recommended it highly. Last Friday evening, we took four guests and enjoyed the terrific food, great service, and the historic and lovely building. The German appetizers and entrees and specials were delicious and generous, and we all raved about our choices. The sides were plentiful and varied, and the desserts were to die for – the cheesecakes, sacher torte, and the apple strudel were outstanding. Our servers anticipated and attended to our every need without intruding; seating and service were prompt. The restaurant was busy both times we went, so reservations definitely are a good idea. We look forward to returning to try more of the menu.
Two German Food Lovers

Williamsburg, Virginia
“Absolutely Fabulous”
Reviewed November 6, 2010

We visited the Bavarian Chef for lunch on a Saturday and the dinner menu is served all day. If a light lunch is all that you are looking for you could opt for an appetizer, soup or a salad I suppose.
As for the dinner menu it has just about everything that you can think of for a German restaurant. One word of caution if you are ordering a dinner you may want to give some consideration to skipping an appetizer as the portions are extremely generous.

My wife had the Sauerbraten which is served in a sweet and sour raisin sauce and it was fabulous to say the least. I had a Haddock special that was seared and served over a wild rice combination and covered with a light champagne cream sauce and garnished with a butterfly shrimp. This was great as well.
We picked the whipped potatoes, German potato salad and red cabbage as our side dishes and they were served family style and were simply the best.
The portions were so large that we had the leftovers packed and they served very well as our dinner the same night.
Since we were very full I cannot comment on the desserts but from what I observed they would have been perfect.
Also as it was lunch we didn't have any wine or beer but I did notice a number of German brews on draft and will probably have a taste the next time we visit.

The Bavarian Chef is without a doubt perhaps the finest German restaurant in the Mid Atlantic region as we have been to a number and I must say that the food here sets the standard.
The service and staff were very friendly and professional to say the least.

The next time dinner with a beer or glass of wine will be on our radar.