“Best German Restaurant Ever” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Bavarian Chef
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: German, European
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Pittsburgh
“Best German Restaurant Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

My wife and i had dinner there on 5/24/09 and had the best german food ever. I have eaten in many german restaurants but this is by far the best. don't bother with the appetizer or salad because the meals are huge. I had saurbraten that had at least 6 slices of roast beef with a sweet and sour raisin sauce. My wife had a pork dish and she had 3 hugh pork cutlets. All sides which you get four with your meal are served family style. we spent $50 for our meal which for the size of the serving was a good deal.
I would strongly recommend this place to anyone.

1 Thank cdboss

Hershey, Pennsylvania
“Always great and always fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2009

This is one of our personal favorites. Great food and big portions (everyone leaves with a styrofoam box). They have never disappointed. This is a must visit for anyone coming to the area. Treat yourself!

Reservations are recommended. Never go there when UVA is having an event (the secret is out).

1 Thank oldstocks
Aylett, VA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food! Superb Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2009

In December, I joined my sister and her college roommate, from 50 years ago, for a reunion and holiday celebration. at The Bavarian Chef in Madison County, VA.. What a pleasant surprise. The food was excellent, from preparation to presentation. The service was unbelievable - we felt like royalty. It was definitely worth the 2 hour drive from Richmond, VA. I am already planning another trip there in the springtime. It was worth the trip just for the scenery and the beauty of the countryside.

The menu is a little pricey but definitely worth it. I can't think of a better way to celebrate a special occasion.

1 Thank PerkyOneAylett
Harrisonburg, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Three great experiences, and one not so great.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2009

We've been to The Bavarian Chef three times and have always enjoyed the food and good service. On New Year's eve, our fourth visit, I ordered one of the specials (not listed on the menu), a combination of shrimp, scallops and chicken in a pastry shell. At $31.50, this special was about 50% higher than the price of most menu entrees. Unfortunately, next morning I felt ill and I suspect mishandling of the seafood. I started the new year with a couple of things I didn't ask for; the price of the "special" and 2 days of intestinal discomfort.

Restaurant-goers, there is no shame in asking the price of a special!

1 Thank JockeyJoe
Scottsville, Virginia
“Great German Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

My husband and I were there in January 08 for our 15th anniversary. We had heard it was a great place to eat and it lived up to its hype. I had never eaten at a German Restaurant before so I have nothing to compare it to, but both of us enjoyed it very much from the food to the service. My husband is a very picky eater that does not like to try new things, but they had something for everyone. He had the Scallops which he said were the best he had ever eaten and I enjoyed some of the German faire. German food is very filling, so don't eat much before you come here and pace yourself as you will want to save room for desert. Our server was excellent and when I could not make up my mind between a couple of the sides he suprised me by bringing me everything that I had wanted to try. It is a little pricey, but you get huge portions and delicous food. Great for a special occassion!

1 Thank travelingmama74