“Okay expeience but not memorable”
Review of The Bavarian Chef

The Bavarian Chef
Ranked #1 of 16 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: German
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2012

well, it is often good to visit a german restaurant, but you will not return after you had the food. The food is really not what i would call home-made and you could easily buy a six-pack of german beer for the price of one pint from this place.

1  Thank marco p

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I lived in Germany for 23 years.....this place has great beer, but the food is not barely Bavarian--barely German. The service was OK, but I wouldn't go back for any reason

1  Thank Donald D
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I am not one for leaving less than positive reviews, as I believe each has their opinion, taste and personal feelings but I count on people’s honest evaluations on Trip Advisor - so I would like to share my experience at the Bavarian Chef this past weekend. I base my opinion after living in multiple places in Germany for just over 12 years total....

This is the worst "German food" I have ever experienced in the USA, Period. Nothing was authentic, even close to being prepared in a German fashion nor tasted, looked or smelled like German food. The prices are all $22-$50 per meal - incredible for a wiener schnitzel or a few sausages, cordon blue, etc... The beer menu "was not up to date" according to our waiter and none of the first 4 beers selected were available.. such as the Hof Brau, Spaten, etc. I was able to order a bottled "American distributed, German labeled beer" for an amazingly high price. Tables are crammed into a small room, barely enough room to walk around.

I ordered a Cordon Blue... Not only not "German" but cooked horribly with sandwich meat in the middle with some sauce resembling French dip juice. My wife experienced the 1/2 Glockel (chicken) that appears to have been cooked for about 10 hours straight and was not seasoned nor prepared with any flavor beyond what you might expect if you bought a tyson whole chicken cut it in half and baked it for an afternoon... Tried the Spaetzel – tasted like any store purchased American egg noodles – certainly not homemade nor made with the Bavarian touch. Ordered an Apple Strudel for desert - not only dry and over cooked but literally burnt black on the bottom.

$85 for two horrible meals and a blackened Apple Strudel leaves me to say this is by far the worst, grossly overpriced meal that resembled NOTHING you would experience in neither Bavaria nor any other place in Germany. Massive disappointment for my wife and I – I see others enjoy this place but to each their own… if you’re looking for fairly priced, well prepared, authentic German food, in a comfortable atmosphere, we recommend you go elsewhere.

2  Thank Bravosix1
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Our family goes to the Shenendoah Mountains every year to camp and hike. The Bavarian Chef is always on our agenda. They open at 11:30am on Sundays and serve the absolute best food! The side dishes are served family style. The entrees come with beautiful garnishes. Well worth going out of your way for.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

What a truely fantastic restaurant. I had a pork shank which our lovely waitress recommended. It blew me away.
We were a party of eight and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful dinner so professionally prepared and served.
I felt like all the folks really sincerely cared. I regret only that home is too far away for me to become a regular customer.

1  Thank xigel

Been to The Bavarian Chef? Share your experiences!