“One of the best meals ever”
Review of The Bavarian Chef

The Bavarian Chef
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: German
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 10, 2012

What a truely fantastic restaurant. I had a pork shank which our lovely waitress recommended. It blew me away.
We were a party of eight and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful dinner so professionally prepared and served.
I felt like all the folks really sincerely cared. I regret only that home is too far away for me to become a regular customer.

1  Thank xigel

Reviewed July 1, 2012

If you like German food, this place has the best of it ... and the servings are big, too. They serve vegetables "family style," which means that they bring free refills. So, if 2 people dine here, and you each are offered 2 different sides with your meal, choose 4 different sides because they will graciously bring refills. Their mashed potatoes (they put bacon in!) are the best and so is their sauerkraut. (They put bacon in the sauerkraut, too, but heck, you can't get too much of a good thing.)

1  Thank j p
Reviewed May 31, 2012

My wife and I have been coming here for years.We have always had a wonderful dining experiance. The friendly, knowledgable waitstaff will offer excellent suggestions for your cullinary journey to Bravaria. Jager Schnitzel,Rheinischer Sauerbraten, Cordon Bleu ( just to mention a few) as well as Special Entre's, are excellently prepared fresh daily. They have a full bar, good wine selection, and Beer. Don't forget about the desserts.

1  Thank Grenville F
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Love the food. Service is top notch. Great place for special occasions. Been there for a couple of anniversaries and a birthday.

1  Thank sdk76
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stopped in after a day on Skyline Drive. We were seated immediately by the hostess who was very pleasant. We were seated in their upstairs dining room. The staff brought out the bread for our table which we were looking forward too as we were hungry from a day in the wilderness. Unfortunately the bread was stale and hard while the butter had an over abundance of garlic. Usually I don't mind garlic being strong but this was over the top. We then placed our orders with our waitress who was wonderful. I ordered the Cordon Bleu and my wife had the Schweine Kotelett. My Cordon Bleu was OK except for the burgundy sauce which I thought did not go well with the dish. It tasted and felt out of place with a dish that has veal, ham and cheese. I have never heard of a burgundy sauce being offered on Cordon Bleu before and we have been to Bavaria. The Schweine Kotelett seemed OK but when cutting into it the chop was as dry as the Sahara. Now on to desert... in a corner near our table there was a stack of three high chairs and on top of those was where one of the staff had placed the dessert tray. When we finished our meal we looked over at the tray near us and my wife made a comment on how un-appealing it looked. It looked as if it had seen a few rounds on the floor which had taken their toll on the presentation aspect. Our waitress then came over to inquire about dessert we politely declined. If I'm in the area again I will give them another chance and order different items.