“A little old styled, but Tasty”
Review of The Bavarian Chef

The Bavarian Chef
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: German
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 12, 2012

We stumbled across this place one road trip, and learned to return with proper reservations. I've never been to Germany, but my husband has, and he adores good Sauerbraten. Tonight he was not disappointed. I thought his beef was tender, and the sauce just the right amount of tang. I had the Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup appetizer, which was very nice, and the Jäger Schnitzel. Veal was tender, and the sauce flavourful and packed with mushroom & bacon - nothing fancy, just good food. The specials sounded good. Service was informative, pleasant, and attentive. While I wish their decor was a little more spacious & updated, but aside from that we'll return just for the food.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

This place was the top recommendation from our hostess at our bed and breakfast nearby. When we arrived, the parking lot was packed and people were talking about how far they had driven just for the restaurant. There was some confusion attempting to get us seated...even though the place was half full, the hostess took nearly ten minutes staring at her table lineup before calling one of the servers to ask where he would like us. After that it took nearly fifteen minutes just to get our water and bread order and another fifteen to take our order. The server was friendly, but everyone there seemed to be off daydreaming.

Having been an exchange student in Bavaria in high school, I was really excited to try this place. My heart sunk once I opened the menu. The only "authentic" menu item was the sausage plate. Everything else on the menu was about as close to authentic German food as Taco Bell is to authentic Mexican. The main ingredient is correct for a main ingredient in a German dish, but the method of preparation and spices are way off. That could be overlooked if the food still tasted good, but it didn't (other than the roasted pepper soup). The pork was the toughest cut of meat I have ever had in my life. The "zesty mushroom" sauce on top tasted exactly liked canned BBQ baked beans. The spatzle tasted like a really bad fried egg and the potato dumplings were made from instant potato. The "hot bread" that came to the table was stale, as though it had been baked four days earlier.
I honestly believe you could go to any school cafeteria in the country and get a meal with higher quality ingredients that tasted better just about any day of the week.

The atmosphere is a very cheap and poor imitation of a Bavarian mountain lodge...but they do try. I love German beer and I ordered a beer that I know well. I am pretty sure it had been sitting in the keg since the late 90's. It had no carbonation and had more flavor of aluminum than hops.

Save yourself the disappointment - don't bother stopping here.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

Great earthy, european fare. Large portions but great attention to detail. Wonderful flavors and textures.

1  Thank cjet96
Reviewed April 1, 2012

It's just not my kind of food. I like a more heart healthy diet. The Bavarian Chef is for the meat and potato crowd. It is very popular and the parking lot is usually full. I had a fresh trout wich was covered in Almonds and fried. One visit was enough for me.

1  Thank Hoos2
Reviewed March 18, 2012

This was my personal favorite for many years and still never disappoints. I asked the chef how he makes everything taste so good and he said they use cream by the gallon. There are always plenty of leftovers. Food is outstanding. Service is fun. Just remember "Herr" in German is "Man" so women, stay out of the restroom marked "Herrn."

Been to The Bavarian Chef? Share your experiences!