“A great stay for too short a period”

Craddock Terry Hotel
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We went to the Craddock Terry Hotel with a group tour, staying there for only one night. It is a very pleasant hotel and one might describe it as eclectic. It is, of course, a converted shoe factory and trades on that fact in a fun way. It uses a high-heel shoe, as well as Buster Brown's dog, as hotel symbols. It also uses high-heel shoes as gift-shop souvenirs, displaying bottles of wine in them. (We bought a bottle of wine but not a shoe.) The rooms are spacious and the accommodations luxurious. Breakfast is delivered to your room in a "shoe box". We asked to keep the cloth bag that was in the "shoe box" to hold the food and find it very convenient to have. The staff was friendly, pleasant, accommodating and very helpful. We had several questiond of the front desk and they were very ready to serve. Many activities were available near the hotel. Too bas we did not have more time for the river walk ot more museums. We did get to see one of the local mansions, as well as the Anne Spencer house, and the D Day Memorial nearby. All were impressive.

Room Tip: It is relatively close to a railroad and they even offered a devise to help with this, should one ha...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Craddock Terry Hotel

Reviewed July 23, 2014

We just went there for the 2nd time. My first review was that it was five star, all the way. Such an interesting hotel, which was a ladies shoe factory, It is even better now. Great personnel, great restaurants. Town is a nice town. A little quiet, but that was OK. We hope to go there again.

Room Tip: TRY to book a room which has the original stone walls. With that and up to date furnishings, it has...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kenkoch
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My only regret is we had just one night. What a charming place to stay. Everything was perfect! Lynchburg seems to be shut down on Sunday evening but we were able to have a nice meal at the resturant below. Oven brick pizza was awesome. Will return when visiting Liberty University again.

Room Tip: Lots of "brand name" places to stay in Lynchburg, but you can do that anytime. This is the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Such a cute and unique hotel. A former shoe factory converted into a luxury boutique hotel. The staff were extremely nice and helpful. Great location to downtown, river trail and access to highway. I'd definitely stay here again! Look for the red high heel shoe!

Room Tip: Such a cute boutique hote!! lt's near train tracks so you may want to ask for a room on the oppo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Stayed here on a business trip. The staff members are all friendly and helpful, all of them. The room I had was very large, clean, and very comfortable. The bathroom was exceptionally clean as well. The decor of this converted shoe factory made for restful experience.
I will likely return to the area for a personal vacation and stay at Craddock Terry hotel. I'm sure my wife would like it even more than I do.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Loved this hotel...staff is great and the building/theme itself is very cool. Could spend all day just meandering around checking out everything. Loved the two adjoining restaurants - very convenient. loved the accessibility of the trails nearby and that we could use the bikes.

We stayed in a suite and it was beautiful! Loved the high ceilings and the beautiful bathroom. Had everything we could have needed.

Our first night was excellent! Nothing to complain about.

Second night - ugh. Woke up to it being hot. When I went to the A/C to turn it down I realized it wasn't working. Since there were 3 others in our room I was torn whether or not to call about it - as I didn't want to wake the others. As I laid awake (cause I was too hot to sleep) the fire alarm went off. At that point we were concerned since the A/C was off that perhaps there really was an electrical issue. We left the building and after about 5+ minutes of the alarm - it turned off. Upon return to our room we tried to call the front desk to check on the reason of the alarm and report the A/C issue.... But now our phone was out too. So we went to the front desk. We were told that maintenance had done something to the AC and they knew it was out. "Sorry for the inconvenience" was all we got.

At some point the AC did begin working again - but about 1/2 our nights sleep was shot due to being uncomfortable, leaving the building due to the alarm - then just being aggravated. And then the next few hours (so it seemed) we could hear maintenance workers in the hallways likely working on whatever issues was going on. And unfortunately they weren't speaking in volumes that reflected it was the middle of the night!!!! You would think they would at least speak quietly knowing people were TRYING TO SLEEP!

We were provided no concessions to our inconvenience. Just a sorry. Had this not have happened - this hotel would have received 5 stars from me - but I just don't feel they handled the issue very well. Someone stays at a hotel to sleep - and we didn't. We paid good money for our suite - but I guess having a good night's sleep was not important.

Definitely left me bitter. I would love to say I would return next time I'm in Lynchburg - but now I am not so sure.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank TravelerVAVA
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I am a big fan of the hotel and stay there when I am in town; but when I went to reserve a room for one night in August, they turned me down, demanding a three-night minimum. Needless to say, I am disappointed with a policy that--unless there is some other rationale--speaks of greed rather than a traveler's needs. Shame.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business