“Deserves Its Top Ranking”

Craddock Terry Hotel
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed here one night midweek for business. Got a king executive room (seemed to be about 350 ft2, huge room) for only slightly more than what I'd been paying at another mid-rate hotel in town (grantd I did have a corporate rate). Awesome room. Keurig coffee maker, flat-panel TV, big closet with a shoe compartment (of course), large shower but no tub in my room (but with plenty of room for two active adults :)).
The hotel has been redone in top-notch fashion. mixing contemporary living and urban manufacturing perfectly. The staff is terrific, the details surprising and refreshing. Loved the shoe box breakfast. And the robes - especially since I'd left mine thinking I'd make do without it for one night. Mini fridge with two bottles of water.
Yes, you do hear the trains, which rumble through briefly, about every 2-3 hours (the CSX switching yard is just up on Concord Turnpike). For the most part, my sleep was restful. My only "complaint" was super-hot water (which may have been a thermostat or wiring issue of some sort). and the shower head should've been a hand-held to reach everywhere.
The workout room is small (one each of treadmill, reclining cycle and elliptical) but cool looking. The first floor stairs has a cute reading nook if you're inclined (see pics).
A collegue of mine got a king corner room which was larger (had a tub) for the same price as my room (I didn't inquire about room differences, nor did he, we just asked for what had been available). I wish I could've stayed longer, and brought my boyfriend along! I didn't get to eat at their high-rated restaurant, Shoemaker's, but my coworkers recommended it. I have eaten at Waterstone, it's pretty good for lunch.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger. Room 102 is just below the front desk, and across from the work-out room, s...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed September 20, 2012

The lady and I recently stayed here on a mini getaway for the weekend.

All I can say is, what a phenomenal experience! The Craddock Terry Hotel is the place to stay while in Lynchburg!

Upon arrival you will arrive in a well lit area lot with an incredible view of the hotel and its beautiful, surrounding buildings. Walking into the hotel was a breathe of fresh air while Buster Brown the wire haired terrier greets you happily!

The lobby was well kept and Nathan's genuine attitude and care beamed from behind the front desk. After a quick and painless checkin, we had a short trip to our room where we were taken back by the HUGE ceilings lined with beautiful wood beams and walls covered in a wonderfully textured wallpaper, almost leather-like (a shoe thing I assume), but you wouldn't know until you got close. Needless to say, the room was spacious filled with chairs, a sofa, along with your expected and some not so expected amenities such as a flat screen tv, a hideaway fridge, and a Keurig coffee maker! If you brought along your laptop, ipad or smart phone, enjoy their complimentary wired internet access or wireless.

The bathroom was clean and smart, the huge step in shower near the european style comode adjacent a THIRD phone, was separated from the vanity area which was accompanied by some neat bathroom amenities!

After your shower you can slip into one of the fresh, clean, roomy robes and stay in or put on your outfit and walk across an iron walkway that connects the hotel to two of the top restaurants in Lynchburg: Waterstone or Shoemakers. We ended up trying both restaurants and were not disappointed with either. Both restaurants are wonderful and it's nice to have two completely different choices to choose from. One is on the finer, steakhouse dining (Shoemakers), while just down the steps is a oven baked pizza dining room, bar and outside patio. Be sure to try one of the great microbrews available!

The best thing about our stay was the wonderful service we received. The entire staff from Buster to the engineers, were friendly and courteous. Timechee, the front office Manager was a delight and you will value as we did the wonderful, genuinely kind and caring person who will make you feel at home.

If you want to getaway for a peaceful, pleasant time, the Craddock Terry Hotel is a Shoe-in.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is the most interesting hotel I've ever stayed in. If you're looking for something out of the ordinary, and miles from a "corporate" feel, I would highly recommend it. The food and drink in the onsite bar and restaurant are excellent as well.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 14, 2012

It was the trip of a lot of firsts. The Rivier University Field Hockey team took its first visit to Virginia and competed in the Sweet Briar College Tournamant. This was wonderful and exciting, however it barely compares to the amazing experience that the girls and I had at the Craddock Terry Hotel. Everyone that we dealt with went above and beyond, not only meeting, but also exceeding our needs. Weather it was suggestions for team events, directrions, helping find locations for team meetings or just a friendly chat with the amazing staff and fantastic dog Buster Brown (we miss him so!) everything was professionally done, and always completed with a smile. The rooms were beautiful, comfortable and immaculate, the breakfast was perfect, and anyone who worked the reception desk was stellar. I would highly reccomend the Craddock Terry Hotel to anyone traveling with a team, family or even for business- they were amazing, wonderful people who took that fantastic "Southern Charm" to a whole new level. We most certainly look forward to many returns to the wonderful state of Virginia and the outstanding Craddock Terry Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

We found this hotel thanks to Trip Advisor, and are so happy we did! The room was clean and spacious, the bed comfy, and I loved that there was a couch and a chair for hanging out. The huge windows and high ceilings are beautiful, but the housekeepers need to dust them! Bathroom is big and clean, the shower super nice, no stray hairs to be found!
The staff were very friendly, especially Christan. We were so pleasantly surprised that this place is pet friendly, they even have their own resident pooch! The trains came through often, but they never bothered us and I'm a very light sleeper.
We loved having breakfast delivered to our door in the shoebox. Perfect touch and very tasty.
This is the best hotel we've been to in a long time, and we are very picky! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 3, 2012

These folks have done a great job converting the old Craddock-Terry Shoe factory in to a trendy hotel. There's exposed brick galore, and they've touched it all up with wood and metal finishes that blend in perfectly. Our room felt huge, likely due to the high ceilings and large windows. I'm pretty sure there were other rooms with better views, though. We could sort of see the river, but the view was mostly dominated by some kind of parking lot with dumpsters (these are the 2XX rooms to the right of the front desk). We enjoyed the room so much, though, that I don't feel I can complain too much about the lack of a good view. The complimentary breakfast was a very nice touch, and the "shoebox" it came in went along well with the overall theme. The bed was extremely comfortable. The only barriers to a great night's rest were the somewhat eerie noises (I think we were hearing some kind of machinery) and the fact that the air conditioning was blowing right on our faces all night, with no way to redirect it. All hotels seem to do this, but I'm usually able to block it from blowing right on me with creative use of a towel and/or ironing board. This vent, however, was too high up to reach.

Service was good. The front desk staff were, by and large, friendly and helpful. They would often ask if we needed anything when we walked by. The room seemed very clean and fresh, so the cleaning staff seemed to be doing their job well.

We were there on the Sunday before Labor Day weekend, in order to catch a North-bound Amtrak train on Labor Day, and, although Lynchburg is a nice quaint little town, it was practically a ghost town during our stay, except for this place and the associated Waterstone (I walked around town and there was exactly one other eating establishment open). I'm very glad we decided to stay here, or there wouldn't have been too much that was memorable about our visit.

Room Tip: The rooms in the building to the left of the front desk (the building with the restaurants in it) se...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Loved the first night (room 410) with no complaints whatsoever -- a comfortable bed, plenty of play room for the kids and a luxurious bath with the great eco-friendly products! We weren't planning to stay an additional night so we checked out and, lucklily, was able to get a room again that same night. The second room (204) wasn't as great only because it's on the front side of the hotel and the train was extremely loud, along with the air conditioner and some other loud, undetermined noise. And for some reason, this room didn't have a shower curtain. Other than that, I still rate the hotel with five stars because of the staff and the overall experience. The Craddock Terry is a great hotel with charm and sophistication.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the fourth floor!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family