“Unique Boutique Hotel in the Heart of Lynchburg”

Craddock Terry Hotel
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Reviewed February 15, 2012

I was really surprised to walk into this amazing property where I was scheduled to stay for a business conference with a customer. Having never been to Lynchburg the last thing I expected to find was a truly unique boutique hotel with the highest standards comparable to any 5 star hotel in NYC, London or Dubai. Staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, genuinely so, and the hotel mascot, a dog named Watson, just adds to the charm of this place. A great place to getaway for a weekend with someone special or a great hotel for the business traveller, the Craddock Terry Hotel and its restaurants and events center are awesome.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th floor, they are spacious and designer fab.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed February 9, 2012

What a great getaway. The room was spacious, clean and unique. The decor and architecture were a balance of old and new that prompted a "wow". I especially liked the open beams from the old shoe factory. The bed was a slice of heaven. The bathroom well equipped w/ dryer, robe and accessories.

The food was fantastic as we ate in both restaurants and truly enjoyed our breakfast in bed. The gym was small, but it was a nice touch to be able to get a quick workout (which I needed after the wonderful, but not expensive meals).

Best of all, was the staff. They were immensely helpful in making my reservation and then bent-over-backwards to make sure that the stay went smoothly. The made a spa appointment for me and then moved it (at the last minute) to be more accommodating after we arrived. The offered me a late checkout to meet my travel needs and all the while, were never intrusive on my stay.

If I were a better writer, this would be a better review…in other words, my stay was fantastic and I highly recommend a stay at the Craddock Terry Hotel!!!

Room Tip: Just give them a call and they will take care of you.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Craddock Terry is a beautiful hotel. Rooms are spacious and the associates were willing to answer all questions and provide us with information on the city. Breakfast is delivered to your room in a shoe shine box! We traveled with a 1 and 2 year old and there was enough space in the room for them! Only problem is you need to ask for a tub if that is important for bathing of the kids! We had problems with them charging us double and it took a week to get cleared by the bank. They say it happens with certain banks, I guess we were the lucky ones....other than that it is a great place to stay!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2012

the craddock terry is a sparkler in a world of mostly mediocre hotels. the design and decor reflect the building's former glory as a shoe factory. rooms are gorgeous. staff friendly. what more could one ask? you can bring fido.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2012

We planned a quick trip to Lynchburg (we live in Roanoke) to take our five children to the Amazement Square children's museum.

While not our first time to the museum it was our first time staying over night in the city. On a whim, we decided that "for the fun of it" we would do so...and we are glad we did!

The reservation was seamless and brought about an unexpected discount in one of the two rooms we reserved...a King Suite and regular King. When we travel we usually look for and stay at Marriott Spring Hill Suites or a similar "nice" family oriented suite hotel.

Pricewise, this was equal to what we are use to paying. As others have noted, the quality supercedes those chain hotels. The beds are great as are the bath linens! It's uber hipness ("boutique") is just that....different and classy to be precise. Being Keurig coffee fans we were delighted to find those in the rooms...nice touch!

We tried most every pizza from Waterstone (7 different pies) and were happy with each and we are snobbish when it comes to pizzas. They (the pizzas) are small and we had to feed our brood of 7 plus we had some family join us with their 4 children...so we could have ordered 2 more and not have been overly "hoggish". We picked these up from the bar rather than wait for a table (over an hour wait) and ate them in our room. Great energy and vibe in the Waterstone...probably not the most conducive setting for a table of 13 with 9 children and "I get that".

The hotel was attractive, rooms were clean, walk-in showers and bath were huge and the trains were way too loud. They kept me awake but did not bother my wife who was staying in another room with some of the children. Backing up...yes it would have been ideal to have rooms closer together but this was not possible....so any thoughts of...oh well we already have 5 kids so let's leave it at that.

I left with the impression of "I could live here" because the funk factor is trying its best to come out....the renovations have begun around the hotel and I am anxious to see the progress of those when we return (and we will). Honestly, it made me appreciate Roanoke's downtown that much more where this has all been done already (and continues to be done). But nonetheless a really cool city is on the brink here in Lynchburg and in fact is "there"....but ready for the next level.

As a side note it is always good to support a business in which you have some ties and it was with a surprise that a family friend Sharon Petroski, shared that this hotel was under her companies management banner...well done!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Landsx7
Reviewed January 9, 2012

We spent a few days with our daughters at the Craddock Terry between Christmas and New Year. Everyone at the hotel was extremely nice and very attentive to any question/need. The room was spacious, impeccably clean and nicely decorated. The attention to detail throughout the hotel was amazing! We even had a small Christmas tree in our room with a box of little shoes decorations and a note inviting us to decorate the tree if we wished to do so! The breakfast left each morning at our door inside the shoe shine box was an unusual but delightful surprise. Breakfast was good and the convenience of having it at your door was priceless! Overall, a great experience. Would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jessruth
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Yes, the inside of the property is amazing. What they did with this old factory should be commended. My room was spectacular. Everything was very well appointed and spotlessly clean. The room was large, as was the bathroom which contained literally the largest shower I have ever seen in a hotel. There was also a very comfortable chair and couch. Much better quality than most hotels. My only complaint about the room was the TV. It is a long way from the bed, had kind of a funny color, and the remote is impossible to figure out. I took to just using the buttons on the cable box and TV.

Now, despite all this, there were too many small problems. Any one alone would be minor, but they accumulate to the point that I would not return.

The shoe box breakfast is cute, but the selection is very limited, and I don't know about the wisdom of delivering a box with items that should be refrigerated by 6:30 am if someone doesn't wake up for hours after that. I'm also not sure I like the food being unattended for hours in a public hallway.

There is the problem of the trains. You can get a white noise machine, but not sure why I would want to stay in a hotel so close to the tracks unless it were spectacular, which is what I was hoping but did not find.

The location is terrible. You are close to much nicer areas of downtown Lynchburg, but the hotel itself is surrounded on two sides by decrepit commercial/industrial buildings. The view from my room was horrible. Again, this could be overlooked if it were the only problem, but it adds to the disappointment.

The hallway had some large machine in it making a lot of noise. I have no idea what it was, but it was there from checkin to checkout.

The AC is loud to start, but gets better.

There are two restaurants on-site, which is good, but there is no room service! For the price of this hotel, I would expect that amenity. I don't know if it is the fault of the restaurant or hotel (I don't know if they are separately owned, but they share a building), but something should be able to be worked out. In fairness, the hotel did offer to pick up and deliver the food, which was a nice gesture, but required paying with a credit card, and I had cash.

Speaking of the restaurants, the copy of their menu in the room was outdated and contained incorrect prices (too low, of course). If you are going to give a guest a menu, it needs to be accurate. A conspiracy theorist might view this as bait-and-switch.

Finally, I had a lot of trouble with the internet. Far, far more than I have had at any other hotel. My VPN would connect, but I could not reach my corporate network. I also started seeing many pop-up ads and browser overlay with ads. I ran some diagnostics and found that my IP data was being intercepted before reaching my VPN servers (I have "trace routes" to prove this). This is absolutely unacceptable and an abuse of the customer. It could be compared to listening to a private phone call.

Now, one could claim the problem was mine. However, this was my corporate PC, I work for a large computer company very much concerned with security, I have a whole host of Symantec products installed with up to date definitions, and most importantly the problems disappeared when I moved to a Hilton Garden Inn less than 24 hours later.

My recommendation......approach with caution.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo