“Loved it.”

Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Atlanta, Georgia
“Loved it.”
Reviewed October 12, 2011

My daughter and I were visitors to the Craddock earlier this month and loved it. She was impressed with the detail of the hotel, especially the walk-in encased shower. It felt great to come "home" after an intense day at Liberty to take a shower and plop in the bed without any fear of possibly getting bit like my previous experience at another local hotel in Lynchburg. Every time I have class at Liberty, this will be my home away from home and I will leave my daughter home because she loved the Waterstone and Shoemaker restaurants.

If I must say; however, I did hear the trains run at least 4 times each night and did not realize that I could request a way for "noise reduction" to occur in the room. I just wish the front desk would've introduced that little tidbit to me before going to my room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
saint paul
Reviewed October 9, 2011

A top notch historic hotel with gorgeous large rooms, comfortable and well decorated. I would love staying here again.. Just two points of constructive criticism. (1)The bathroom tub (bathroom also has a standup separate shower) is very deep and long. It was the largest regular bathtub I've seen, the only problem is I had difficulty because of the size in getting in and out without falling. This could be easily eliminated with the installation of a grab bar along the side. (2) I had a real problem with the internet service which is so important to many of us in this tech world. What was disturbing was that despite excellent service in other areas, no one seemed to take this particulary seriously. If those two things don't bother you than certainly, stay here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Smithfield, Virginia
Reviewed October 7, 2011

What a great time I had for two nights in Lynchburg. The Craddock Terry was wonderful, the service was outstanding. The novel use of the shoe shine kit boxes outside the rooms for breakfast orders was such a clever idea. The convenience to the historic areas of downtown was perfect for my needs and the hike along the river helped me use up some of the calories I consumed a the Shoemaker's Grill! The ambience of the building has ruined me for the more modern hotels of today.

Room Tip: There was a fridge and coffee and tea maker in the room. Water was included to use for making either...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I have stayed in the Craddock Terry several times for business and have always had a wonderful experience. The hotel is sophisticated and modern without sacrificing comfort. They have made some nice nods to the building's history as a shoe factory without going too far with the theme. The "shoebox" breakfast is very convenient for a business traveller. The restaurants in the hotel are also very good. I would recommend this hotel for a romantic weekend away or a business traveller.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My husband and I along with another couple stayed at the Craddock Terry Hotel on Saturday, September 17, 2011 after spending the afternoon/evening at the 2nd annual Lynchburg Beer and Wine Festival.

Walking into the hotel gives off a warm and cozy ambieance feeling. The decor within the hotel lobby gives a snapshot as to how shoes have changed over the years. This boutique hotel once used to be factory in downtown Lynchburg and the transformation into what it is today is beyond words.

Our room was decorated in warm tones with a comfy king sized bed. The bathroom was large with a sunken jetted tub. Plush bathrobes hang in the closet for your use.

Complete the continental breakfast card and place it in the wooden shoebox provided and breakfast will be outside your door the next morning. Breakfast consists of muffins, bagels, juices, fruit, yogurts, breakfast bars ... your choice. Though breakfast may not be fancy, the idea is simple and gives a flare of unique amenity.

Getting the opportunity to stay at the hotel was a surprise 40th birthday gift for me from my husband. Although I had no interaction with the staff since my husband was in charge of this outing, the staff did recognize my birthday and left me a hand written note with chocolate candy and gourmet peanuts on the desk in our room.

If anyone is looking to get away and explore the downtown shops, restaurants and history of Lynchburg, VA, the Craddock Terry Hotel is a perfect resting spot.

On a side note, the furniture throughout the hotel is made locally in Lynchburg, VA.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed September 27, 2011

My friends and I did a one night stay, arranged on short notice, at this fabulous boutique hotel. The rooms were very comfortable, well designed and very clean! A Keurig coffee maker and a wonderful old fashioned wooden shoe box (for your free continental breakfast) are just a couple of the delightful amenities this converted shoe factory includes. Our breakfast was delivered just outside the door early the next morning. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. The nearby trains running at the night can disturb your sleep, but the beds were so comfortable we dropped off again right away. A wonderful spa a couple of blocks away, several excellent restaurants, and a trip to Poplar Forest all helped to make a memorable weekend getaway for friends needing some serious R & R!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed September 26, 2011

My biggest complaint about hotels is noise, and even with the trains (only 1 woke me up late at night), it was wonderfully quiet. The staff was friendly, accommodating, and very helpful (we were lost coming from the train station and called from an intersection- the woman at the front desk not only knew where I was but which way to turn when I told her the building we were next to). The building, of course, has great character, which makes for a wonderful change from all the chain hotels. The room was very comfortable. The only slightly negative thing I can say is the breakfast could have used a little more choice, but that's so minor. My work hit a snag and we have to go back to NYC at the end of the week. Guess where I'll be staying again before taking the train?

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business