“Great Steak Experience!”

Good for: Families with children
Cambridge
“Great Steak Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

We were seated around a huge hotplate and were somewhat bemused, but then a young American man with a Japanese traditional dress presented himself, and began to entertain us with amazing skills, juggling sharp knives, and unbelievably eggs with stainless steel cutlery without breaking them. He fried eggs, steak and shrimps, garnishing them with Japanese condiments, and the result was simply delicious.
Without doubt, one of the best and most memorable meals we have ever had.

Visited July 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stay Away from Kyoto! Try Wasabi or Osaka's!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

May 11, 2014 at approximately 12:15pm I, along with three other guests visited Kyoto on Wards Road in Lynchburg, Va. Unfortunately, we will never return. First off, when we asked our server if it was half off sushi (We had heard it was on Sundays) she shrugged and replied, "I think so." We had to insist that she go and verify for us. Secondly, upon her return to the table she informed us it was two sushi for a $1. We ordered various sushi selections as appetizers. Before ordering our entrees we handed her a $10 off the purchase of two dinner entrees coupon. We told her we were willing to order off the dinner menu in order to use the coupon. She took our orders and disappeared. After the chef began the process of cooking our entrees our server returned and informed us that the coupon couldn't be used on the entrees we ordered unless we ordered a more expensive entree. This was frustrating because the chef had begun cooking our meals already! We gave her the coupon in advance so why didn't she inform us of this stipulation prior to submitting our orders to the chef? Other than having to ask for refills and sitting there for 20 minutes with empty glasses, the cherry on top was that our sushi appetizers arrived AFTER our entrees AND the order was incorrect! Who wants to take leftover sushi home?! Finally, when we got our checks the sushi was not on special as she had informed us! We spoke with a manager who told us he would adjust the price on our checks. This never happened. They ran our credit cards for the original unadjusted price and the manager was nowhere to be found. Unfortunately, I have never had such an awful experience and I will not be back. I strongly recommend Wasabi or Osaka's for not only quality sushi/hibachi but also outstanding service.

• Visited May 2014
Crozet
“Not even close...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We visited this place for a passing through dinner. It was rated pretty high on Yelp. Big mistake trusting the trolls on Yelp. What should we expect when we parked in the parking lot? It looked like a typical Lynchburg dive. The restaurant is dark and creepy inside.
When we were escorted to the hibachi grill, I asked for a sushi menu. The waitress walked away to ask if I could order from the sushi menu. She came and told me that I could only order a la carte which is more expensive unless I move to the sushi bar area. Sine I was with my family who doesn't eat sushi, I had to order a la carte. What a stupid rule to gain more money...
The hibachi chef was not very talented. The food was very mediocre. Even the fried rice was unspectacular. The sushi was also very low grade. The cost of the dinner was high for the quality of the food.
Stay away from Yelp recommendations!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Penn-Virginian
“Best Japanese food in the world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have been eating here ever since I was a kid and they have never disappointed.the food is awesome, the entertainment is awesome when the chef comes to ur table to cook. But sadly they
Have the same decor since they opened. They need a new carpet walls and more.

• Visited July 2013
“Awesome dinner... would recommend!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Dinner was awesome. Would recommend. Filet mignon and shrimp and fried rice was great. Reasonably priced.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank drak77

Been to Kyoto Japanese Steak? Share your experiences!