“Excellent Latin American Resteaurant”

Delicia's Latin American Cuisine
Cuisines: Latin
Description: Family with children & senior are welcome.
Description: Family with children & senior are welcome.
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I have dined at Delicia many times for lunch and dinner since this place opened. I believe I have tried every Latin American dish on the evolving menus. This restaurant is unique in Lynchburg - actual Latin American food. I think the food rates with that in the top ten restaurants in Lynchburg of all cuisines at any price. Within that group Delicia is also the least expensive.

The food is fresh and expertly prepared.The kitchen and dining room staff is mostly family and they are on site whenever they are open. Rudy, the owner, goes to great effort to get the best food and ingredients at a reasonable price. He and his wife, Vilma, always try to make all customers feel at home. Their family lives across the street in Richland Hills and their children attend Lynchburg public schools. They are invested in the community.

The menu at Delicia includes a Mexican section and that food surpases any "Mexican" restaurant in the area but this is not just a Mexican restaurant. Try the Latin American dishes, They include fin fish, shell fish, beef, pork, chicken and vegetarian dishes, all uniquely prepared and excellent. I won't repeat all that others have said about specific dishes, but the guacamole and Margaritas are worth a visit here if you don't try anything else.

If you are in the mood for "just fast food" then Lynchburg seems loaded with Mexican chain restaurants. Go to Delicia for Latin American dishes freshly prepared with interesting spices and sauces and properly prepared drinks and beer you may not have seen here before. Rudy encourages customers to relax and take the time to enjoy the food and drinks. This is not quickie food.

These hard working people have created something different for us. Give Delicia a couple visits and I think you will add it to your favorites list.

4  Thank MrLarry2014

Reviewed April 25, 2014

This is the best ethnic restaurant around by far. I can't believe it's not more crowded. It's lynchburg's best kept secret for sure. The best salsa, most authentic food... Diverse menu... Great brunch too. Can't rave enough. My family and I are regulars!

Reviewed March 20, 2014

This is my favorite neighborhood restaurant.

Drinks: Their chips and salsa are homemade fresh. Try their mojitos and margaritas (especially when they're on special), you won't regret it! Instead of making their margaritas with sour mix like other restaurants in town, they make theirs correctly with triple sec (orange liquer), simple syrup, lime and tequila. I've tried almost all of their margaritas and I have to say they are tasty, but the mojitos are perfect for a hot summer day (or dreaming of summer in the middle of winter).

Food: I can't say much about the food except I've only tried one thing. Tipico Vegetariano. I'm not a vegetarian, but this is the only way I can get the fried plantains (I love their fried plantains because they fry them until crispy on the edge like creme brulee) and the cheese pupusas in one plate. I also LOVE their green corn tamale that comes with it. The green corn tamale is sweet, not savory.

Value: Expect to pay more for dinner and drinks

Location: Can't be beat for a neighborhood restaurant. The outside area is in the parking lot like every other Lynchburg restaurant (except for Westside Deli) though.

Inside: There are pictures of El Salvador on the walls and the owner is always happy to talk about what it's like to live in another part of the world. The tables and floors are always clean and just by working in the food industry myself, I can tell their kitchen is clean by the service.

1  Thank LBreviewer
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I went there for lunch with several co-workers. I like the fact they do lunch specials, and the menu has a lot to choose from. I did not like the fact that you get one basket of chips per table.. Salsa was good. Also I haven't been to a place in a long time that charges you for refills on ice tea or sodas. I thought the food was average. I think everyone one at the table agreed. Definitely not bad…, but average.
Inside of the restaurant didn’t come across as being very clean either.
All in all I think a 3 star is generous but judge for yourself.

Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

I are there with a for lunch. The chips & salsa were fresh, better than the other local places. The good food too, was fresh very tasteful. I'll definitely come back.