“Not too good.”

Blue Orchid Thai Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed August 12, 2013

First of all, let me preface this by saying that I am half Thai, so I know what Thai food should taste like. I ate there for lunch. I ordered the num tok, fresh rolls, and got hubby cashew chicken. The beef that was used for the num tok is the wrong cut of meat and had too much lime in it. The cashew chicken was flavorful, but OILY! The portions were incredibly small even for a dinner size portion and the prices are too high for what you get. My co-worker got he drunken noodles and she said that it had flavor, but she has had better. Service is a little slow.

4  Thank BelieveItWhenISayIt

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We've gone to Thai restaurants all over the country. The food at Blue Orchid is in the top 5. We've eaten here 10-15 times and have never been disappointed. The portions are generous and the prices are great!
We've gone to the other Thai restaurant in Lynchburg several times. The food was good but the restaurant didn't seem clean. While Blue Orchid lacks atmosphere, it is always clean and the staff is friendly.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Seems like someone may have been listening. The time from plating to table was significantly reduced, surprising even our waiter. The food quality was unchanged: delicious and hot (the way I like it). I didn't realize that they delivered in town, which is a bonus. I really want this place to succeed, because it's nice to have more than one Thai place in Lynchburg.

1  Thank OneNZero
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've been here several times with both family and business guests, for lunch and dinner, and the meals do not disappoint. Their strong suit lies with the curries, in my opinion, and my wife is a fan of both their Pad Thai and the pineapple rice. A 'Thai Hot' selection is not 'nuclear,' allowing the flavors of the other spices to come through, but will be appreciated by someone with decent heat-resistance. Presentation is excellent, whetting the appetite more fiercely than can be imagined. I believe the food is just *that* freshly prepared. The owner/chef is Thai and has a lovely family.

So here's what they can do to make the experience earn a 5-star rating. They need to train the cook and wait staff to recognize that lunch in particular can be a time-sensitive event. For a business lunch in particular, with 6 to 8 at a table, 40 minutes is a long time before the dishes roll out, and what's worse, if they do so in a onesy-twosy manner. Even with a nominal party of 4, they need to learn to somehow minimize the wait from order to table. Perhaps part of the issue is wait staff experience: the timing for serving drinks, entrees, desserts, and getting the check is just a little off, suggesting they're not paying attention as well, even on a low traffic day.

So this place is definitely a must-go, if you don't mind the somewhat awkward timing. We'll return in another couple of weeks, and I'll update at that point, to see if someone's listening.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Okay to be totally fair there are other Thai restaurants in the area one of which the owner is from Thailand. So we have become self-proclaimed Thai food snobs as it were because her food ROCKS but that is a whole other review. (Yeah I went there:-D) We were a party of two and ordered for an appetizer the fresh spring rolls. The presentation was great but I wasn't really happy with getting iceberg lettuce wrapped in rice paper and calling it a spring roll. I would have preferred some other culinary additions to consider this "good". So onto the main dish, the hubby had Pad Thai which still lack in flavor and I ordered the Pineapple fried rice. (Yeah I know it's not Thai but hey! I wanted some-smiling-) The fried rice also lacked flavor and they forgot to add the cashews. When I mentioned it they gave me a small cup of whole cashews which I crushed with the back of my spoon. (Smooth move). I just feel they need a little more BAM! to their food. I cannot rate this a good restaurant and I would be shocked if they succeeded with their current selection of foods and their flavors.

4  Thank Traveling-A-Plenty