“A Little Bit of Jazz Fest in NOLA at Jimmy's”

Jimmy's on the James
Ranked #41 of 324 Restaurants in Lynchburg
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Pull up a chair, take a taste, and join the fun. A modern day speakeasy focused on personal service, live music, and delectable cuisine set in a socially inviting atmosphere.
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Highly energizing atmosphere with Jimmy singing at the piano throughout the evening. Food was surprisingly good and abundant with lots of choices from my beloved New Orleans.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were in Lynchburg for a concert at the Academy of Fine Arts which is across the street from Jimmy's. we had the Pasta Jambalaya and Shrimp and Grits -- both were very good, spicy but not too spicy. Endulged on dessert since we had a little extra time and had Beca's Chocolate Chess. We thought it was going to be pie but it was served in a mousse dish although flavor was definitely chess with chocolate added and wonderful. The hostesses and wait staff couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful. I had read they had great cocktails so I asked for a drink menu. Surprisingly, there wasn't one but was told the bartender could make anything. I asked for something tart with vodka and got a wonderful drink with Absolute Hisbiscus, lemon juice, ginger and peach favors (probably liqueurs) -- fabulous! Jimmy (owner) sang while a friend played the piano and later the friend sang and did a wonderful job. A wonderful atmosphere and great food which made a lovely beginning to our evening.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

After two visits over the past year, I would highly recommend Jimmy's on the James. Our first visit was marred by an experienced server but the food and atmosphere warranted another try. Jimmy's on the James doesn't really fit a general description. It can be cozy, romantic, fun, boisterous, but all the while you feel 'at home' here. The menu is an offerering in southernized classics with a nod toward comfort food. The bar is very small but excellent, really everything about Jimmy's on the James is just so 'different' and in a very good way. Unlike any other place around, either a chain or locally owned. The owner Jimmy plays the piano and sings the 'classic's' you might hear in a dinner club back in the day - and he does it quite well. He will stop by your table to make sure things are to your liking, just adding to the charm of this place. We were told the kitchen closes around 10:30 on the weekends, but the place is open until 2:00AM - which I assume means there is a lot of music and other fun activites for those looking for some late night action in Lynchburg - which, trust me is much needed!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I have been to this restaurant several times, and have never been disappointed. We decided to have a night out this past weekend, and had a very delicious dinner at Jimmy's. The waitress was very friendly, attentive and accommodating. When I mentioned I was looking for something that was low in saturated fat, she had several suggestions, but then followed it up by checking with the chef. The result was a great meal that didn't leave me feeling bloated. They have a good selection, and a lot of their options are made with butter, so if you need something lighter, don't hesitate to ask. My meal was chicken stuffed with red peppers and spinach, and topped with a very tasty cheese sauce (which you can get on the side). We really enjoy the live piano music. We feel like we are somewhere far away from Lynchburg (maybe NYC) every time we go there. It is a bit noisy but the music keeps it a fun and romantic place to go. One observation...the name is a bit misleading. Jimmy's is not far from the James, but I have never been able to see it from inside the restaurant.

Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Fun listening to Jmtmy sing.. The man is in his element. Place is loud, but who cares.. Fun, relaxing place.. Average food and is pricey.. Service is excellent. Great place to spend time with friends .. But no romance here. We had oysters, salad, one entre, 3 drinks .. bill,$74..
Real turn off is paper over linen table clothes...