“Great stay for college or business trips”

Holiday Inn Express Lynchburg
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Warwick, New York
“Great stay for college or business trips”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We want to thank the staff for finding rooms next to each other on the first floor on short notice, as we stopped in hoping to find rooms. We had already checked out of another Lynchburg hotel where we have stayed a few times. This hotel was MUCH better. After a multiple-day stay while helping our son move into his dorm, we wanted to start the long drive home, only to find driving into dense fog on the mountains too dangerous.
We will stay here on future trips due to the great staff and better accommodations.
The rooms were lovely and the convenient back door to the parking lot ( and noon check-out ) made the stay more bearable with over a week's worth of baggage for four.

The throws on the bottom of the comfortable beds were a nice touch. The rooms were quiet and the hotel location was quiet despite being right off the highway and mall. Internet, tv and room heat worked well.

There is a chicken fast food restaurant right next-door if needed, where we bought surprisingly good and fresh salads and soups to warm in the room microwave..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express Lynchburg, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear LUfam,

Thanks for trying us out during your stay in Lynchburg - I hope your son's move-in went smoothly! I'm happy to hear that our staff was able to accommodate your needs and that you enjoyed our rooms' amenities. We are indeed near a variety of restaurants and shopping, so it's great you were able to take advantage of that. Thanks again & we'll see you on your next trip!

David Amick
eCommerce Manager
Daly Seven, Inc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel itself is fine--typical of an older Holiday Inn Express. Nothing fancy, but fine. Probably a 3-4 rating, except that the staff was exceptional, taking care of a booking issue with no questioning and providing friendly service.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express Lynchburg, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear wsflyer,

We pride ourselves in our staff's service and I am glad to hear that your experience with us was excellent. Thank you for taking the time to write a review; we look forward to your next stay at our hotel!

David Amick
eCommerce Manager
Daly Seven, Inc
Charlotte,NC
Reviewed December 8, 2012

It was a good location very close to the highway but you could not hear much of the noise, near the mall & other shopping etc. The rooms were comfortable, with your standard microwave,refrig, TV etc...the pet fee in the Lynchburg area is $ 50 which for this hotel is not per dog as in the case for other hotels in the are where they charge per dog....crazy!!!! The breakfast is Holiday Express eggs,biscuits etc but it is decent. There are two hotels right next to each other the Hampton Inn the rooms enter to the outside, the Holiday Inn Express has inside hallways...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, VA
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Checked in late after the birth of a grandchild. No problems (no priority club gift offered on check in)
Room was clean, comfortable and quiet.
Lynchburg is a beautiful city and I will stay at this hotel again when we go back to play tourist.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Warm_and_Rested
Holbrook, NY
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is the first time I have stayed in a Holiday Inn property in probably 15 years (or more) and I travel frequently on business and pleasure. My admin booked me in here for a business trip and I did not realize this until I arrived. That made me nervous as my past (distant past) experiences with Holiday Inns were not good. I was expecting old, run down and not particularly clean. I was pleasantly surprised.

As others have noted, the front desk is slow to check in guests. I am generally not very patient for slow check-ins. The rooms were a pleasant surprise. It was clean and fresh. I was pleased to see that the TV was a modern, large LCD and the bathroom seemed to be recently refreshed with a descent bathroom. It has a clean with new fixtures. Low end decor but, most importantly, spotlessly clean.

The breakfast is a cut above typical low end free breakfasts (in the class of Hampton Inn). The coffee was OK and it was nice to see fresh cinnamon rolls. The rest of the breads were typical, generic and commercial. Just OK.

Overall, I would say this place is not bad. Not fancy but serviceably clean and basically comfortable. I could see myself staying here again but would probably try to find a place that is a little nicer. I am still not a Holiday Inn fan but concede that I need not fear a Holiday Inn reservation necessarily.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mitchm11741
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is my very first review of any sort but I was so irate after my experience last night that I feel like this is a good time to start. I booked a room through the Holiday Inn (877) number just yesterday morning. We have two dogs that we were traveling with and this location came up online as pet friendly. According to the website the pet policy includes a “$50 deposit” and again this was reiterated on the phone. I was told my total would be $123 plus tax. Perfect.

Unfortunately, as soon as we arrived it went quickly downhill. I waited alone at the front desk from 6:45 to 7:00 just staring at a sign that said “Be back soon, help yourself to coffee”. I actually got desperate at one point and called the hotel’s direct number in hopes of stirring someone but I just got to listen to the phone ring and ring right in front of me. 15 minutes is an eternity when you are tired. When Brooke finally came to help me, I quickly realized I wish she hadn’t. She told me my room charges would include a $50 non refundable fee. I explained to her that I confirmed it was a deposit on the website and on the phone and she just stared back, shrugged her shoulders and said “it’s a fee”. I told her that I didn’t want to pay 40% more than I was quoted on the phone. She just continued to tap away on her keyboard continuing my check in procedure. I said, wait a second, I don’t want to pay that. She said, you can take it up with the manager in the morning. I said, “I’m not going to pay you $50 and just hope that I get it back in the morning.” She shrugged and literally just stared at me as if to say “what do you want me to do about it”. I asked to speak to a manager right now, not tomorrow. She said there wasn’t one there and she’d have to call one. Of course no one answered where she called. At this point I asked her to take care of the line that had formed and we could try again. During that time I called the 877 number again. I was told that indeed it was a “deposit”. I said, “Ah ha! Can you talk to this front desk person because I was being charged a nonrefundable fee”. She then said, “Oh it IS a fee.” My head exploded! WHAT? On what planet is a deposit and a fee the same thing. I was told that if I needed more assistance I could call customer service on Monday. MONDAY??? This is Saturday night. How is that possibly helpful?! I obviously gave up on them being of any help. Anyway finally someone did answer where Brooke called. This is a direct quote, “Hi Monique, is the pet fee a deposit or a charge…thanks.” She hung up. Looked at me and said with an expression that was so irritating I can’t do it justice in words, “It’s a fee”. At this point I lost it. I honestly thought this whole time (30 minutes) that I had been waiting on this “customer service” employee to talk to a manager about my concerns. You know, the ole “hey I have a customer who needs X,Y,Z…” Basic stuff. But instead I just got a one sentence conversation that did nothing to address my concerns as a paying customer. Needless to say, I got her to cancel me reservation and walked out. Now I did not do this lightly as it was already almost 8pm, we were tired and had no idea where we were going to stay – and in fact that’s the ONLY reason I lasted as long as I did. But luckily we drove across the street to the Kirkley. I asked if they allowed pets and they said “yes, with a $50 FEE.” I thought, “Thank God! Someone who is honest and friendly!” I happily paid 103 plus the $50 fee. Not only was it cheaper but the staff was super friendly!

You may be reading this and thinking to yourself, “jeez it’s only $50”, or “wow, this is such a small thing to be angry over”. But I promise that if you were there and saw how Brooke acted towards me. How she showed not one sign of trying to helpful. How she didn’t so much as say, “I’m really sorry for the confusion but there is nothing I can do.” A simple “sorry for the confusion” and I would have probably just paid the fee. Not only was she terrible, but there is a systematic problem going on: 1. They leave one person working the entire front desk on a Saturday night so that when you are really road weary and just want to settle in, you have to wait for 15 minutes just to be helped. 2. This one person has zero power to help address any concerns (at least according to her). And 3. When you call the national customer service number on a weekend you are told to call back Monday.

I absolutely would not step foot in a Holiday Inn after this experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Hutch28139
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lynchburg, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Hutch28139,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your experience with us. We strive every day to create special experiences one guest at a time and I am truly sorry we did not manage this in your case. I am sorry you received unacceptable service from our front desk staff. I will follow up with the staff to ensure similar incidents won't happen again. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work
diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Odenton, Maryland
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I've stayed here twice, for a week at a time each. Compared to other hotels in Lynchburg I have heard about or visited, this is by far one of the cleanest! The only negative I can say about them is that they need more front desk staff, because they seem to always have a phone call when I visit the front. I can be quite the stickler for customer service and I think for the most part they do a great job!
Some great pluses to this place are the FREE hot breakfast. The bright, cheery, and hard-working woman who works the breakfast bar is absolutely a joy to wake-up to in the morning! They have healthy and hot breakfast choices that can please anyone.
The housekeepers are sweet as well. They do such a good job of cleaning the bathroom! For instances you can tell they moved some of my mess off the counter and actually took the time to wipe it down and carefully place my things nicely back on the counter.
The rooms include a couch, desk, suitcase table (which I absolutely love!), a fridge, and microwave. For one or two, or even three people this is ample space (with some to spare).
The bed is comfy, but the pillows are better! The "business center" has printing capabilities. This is a blessing for someone who needs to print school work!
Lastly, they have a free pass to a gym off from the hotel. For any of you health nuts out there!

All in all it is worth the price, clean, and great business or family trips.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo