“good food, had a terrible waiter though”
Review of The Crown

The Crown
Ranked #41 of 321 Restaurants in Lynchburg
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Fenwick Dr.
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We went for valentines day about 2 years ago, and it was the worst experience ive ever had. We had a girl waiter who clearly must have just started. She was awful. She took forever to get our orders, then got them wrong. On top of that, we both wanted chicken and tortellini, and coincidentally, they were out of that, so the only thing we could get on the menu was expensive steaks, which my husband doesnt even prefer. We told the manager about our experience and that the waiter was terrible, and he said he would have the owner call us the next day. That never happened. I even called back to follow up, and could never reach a manager. The only thing i can figure is that since we didnt tip her AT ALL, they were mad at that so didnt call. i'm not going to tip, especially in an expensive restaurant, when the service sucks!

1  Thank brandinicole21

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Had visited this restaurant years ago and it was so good just recently went back and the place could use a facelift!

Reviewed July 28, 2012

The food and service are outstanding! They have a grill in the resturant area and a couple of the friends we were with complained about the smoke (something) burning their eyes. The smell is definitely noticable when you enter the resturant.

1  Thank hmiller80
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Well, when my husband said he was taking me to the Crown for our anniversary dinner I will confess at first I was dissapointed. Our last experience there was good but by no means memorable. Still, Lynchburg is not exactly hopping with places to go for really special and dress up occasions. I am happy to report that at least two moments during this dinner were memorable.

First, we brought with us two gift certificates. These gift certificates were over 7 years old, expired and technically for the Crown Sterling (before management changed). We did not have high hopes that they would accept them but they did! That was an unlikely and much appreciated gesture. Apparently, according to our server, they have taken gift certificated even older and more expired than ours.

Secondly, near the end of the dinner the manager brought out 2 free coconut macaroons for us! Another lovely surprise. They were delicious.

Overall, we've had better service before but a small complaint. Also, they got our reservation wrong but it was not a problem since there was plenty of seating. There was live keyboard music and the individual was taking requests. I always enjoy that. Food was delicious but seemed a bit expensive still. We had a new appetizer which included goat cheese and pita bread, just fantastic! That was probably my favorite item. Neither my husband and I are steak people but we can appreaciate a good steak, which we got.

Overall, I was pleased with my experience. Still I will reserve going to the Crown for very special and far between occasions since the price is hard for us to justify.

1  Thank BetsyB21
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This used to be a very special place to dine in Lynchburg. I have tried it lately since the new owners took over and I was shocked. No pepper mills, cheap fake butter, menu changes that were not good, and the Host Choice meal was a paper thin cut of beef ! If you go here and expect the same quality of food in the past please save your money and go elsewhere as you will be sad. Please someone save the Crown. We got seated in a stinky old cigar smoked back room next to a junk/ storage area because they didn't have our reservations that were made weeks earlier. Waiters are excellent as always though.

Been to The Crown? Share your experiences!