“Our lunch was terrific and a great value to boot.”
Review of Mangia - CLOSED

Mangia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of one of the oldest neighborhoods in the country, Mangia is the cornerstone of historic Rivermont Avenue. The rustic Italian fare, extensive wine list, local artwork and convivial setting inspire a dining experience that is at once luscious and relaxed while allowing a family style feast. People watch on the Café, have an intimate dinner in the candle lit interior or lounge to the mellow live acoustics in the bar. Our chalkboard changes daily with local and organic specials or Italian classics. We invite you in as family; to share the very best we have to offer, on your terms.
“Our lunch was terrific and a great value to boot.”
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I each had the half-order of eggplant parm (my staple at Italian restaurants) which included a side order of pasta.
Both servings were extremely generous and very well prepared, although my eggplant was a tad undercooked. My pasta was exceptional! Perfectly cooked and exploding with wonderful flavor.
A wonderful and filling lunch before our trip home after visiting our daughter at Lynchburg College.

We've had dinner at Mangia on past visits to Lynchburg with excellent results, and it has jumped to the top if our list for area restaurants.
Worth noting; the fenced outdoor seating affords us the opportunity to bring our Pug with us. Staff last year even provided a water bowl for him.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank schake24

Hampstead, North Carolina
“I love this restaurant”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Mangia is a small Italian restaurant on Rivermont Ave and is one of my favorite places to eat. The staff are all really nice and you are never rushed - in fact you should expect to pace yourself and enjoy a stretched out meal if possible. The dishes are always great and the portion sizes are just right (particularly since you can order half-size portions).

My favorite lunch meal is the Roast Beef sandwich Mangia serves during the lunch service, coupled with their homemade potato chips and tiramisu. You can get a sandwich, order of chips or fries, tiramisu, and a soda for $8. That's an excellent lunch value if you ask me - hard to beat anywhere else, especially considering the quality of the food you get at Mangia. All of the produce is locally grown, the meat is purchased fresh from Bedford Ave butcher shop ... it's all top quality, all of the time.

My review is based on my most recent visit with my eldest son last month (his first time, where he declared the sausage sub he got to be the best sausage he's ever tasted), but I've been here several dozen times, and will visit many more almost certainly.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank bfarber
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food on a great day!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have recently moved to the area, and in walking our dog on a beautifully sunny day, we chanced having a late lunch here due to the dog-friendly seating on the front patio. It's more of an upscale, sit down restaurant than we were expecting, and I'm not sure if I would prefer eating inside over out. It's an Italian restaurant, so there's a very full menu. The sandwiches we ordered were gourmet in their make-up and HUGE, which is why I'd say the value for the food is about a 4. (My husband and I both took a half of our sandwiches home with us.) It's definitely not a Subway if you're looking for a quick lunch sandwich, but for an easy, sunny Sunday afternoon I'd pick this place in a heartbeat! We had a lovely day there, and our dog was welcomed and adored by the staff, which dog owners don't always find.

• Visited August 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not Worth the $”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The service was slow and inattentive, and there wasn't even a large crowd. The outside dining was pleasant, however. The grilled shrimp had a wonderful flavor. I'm glad I ordered it to be added to the pasta, which was quite bland.

• Visited June 2013
Lynchburg, Virginia, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Patio is nice, food & service needs help!”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The food is inconsistent and the service needs much improvement. The patio & happy hour is the only thing this place has going for it. The only good server (Geno) is no longer there. Every one I talk to about Mangia agrees that we love the concept, however it is not executed well. Hire consistent cooks & experienced (and friendly) servers and Mangia could do really well.

Visited June 2013