“Food is great but don't expect your college age kids to be treated well...”

Shoemakers American Grille
Ranked #2 of 312 Restaurants in Lynchburg
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main Street
Description: Located on the Bluffwalk in historic downtown Lynchburg, Virginia, Shoemakers American Grille offers fine cuisine in an upscale industrial setting. Its shoe themed rooms and décor reflect Lynchburg’s rich history in the early 1900’s as the mecca for all things shoes and tobacco. Bar opens Monday - Saturday 4:30 pm for Happy Hour.
“Food is great but don't expect your college age kids to be treated well...”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Terribly disappointed that our college age kids were not treated well here without us present. We have had many great meals together here when we visit but when they treated our daughters
poorly when they came without us we have decided to never return.

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank Carol S

Leesburg, Virginia
“Outstanding Restaurant in Lynchburg CBD”
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I guess my profile tells the tale... I rarely give 5 ratings. This experience deserved it. Probably the best steak I have ever had. Complemented by one of the best reds I've enjoyed with a meal. Starch and veggies were perfect. Service was very helpful, professional and friendly. Timing and presentation were spot on. Atmosphere was excellent if a bit dark (only one of my iPad pics was worth sharing). Limited outside seating area at the front seemed nice... perhaps they have more tables in summer? Love the positioning of the line, visible on the way in/out. Gave Chef a big thumbs up for such a great night, even if I had to enjoy it alone this time. When I am back to see the kids at Liberty, this is the first place I will take my wife. PERFECT.

• Visited April 2014
Allison D, Guest Relations Manager at Shoemakers American Grille, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Thank you for the FIVE stars!!! So very happy you enjoyed everything-we look forward to having you back!
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Nicest in Downtown”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We've been going to Shoemakers for several years now for family mile-stones because it is one of the classier restaurants in a town filled with chain restaurants. The menu does not vary much and the food is always okay. No surprises.

The wedge salad is always a popular choice for our group, but there is nothing remarkable about it....the same wedge salad with bacon and Gorgonzola you find on many menus. The spinach salad is not warm...I was expecting spinach with sauteed mushrooms and onions, but it is only the dressing that is warm. The chopped salad is one of the more interesting choices for salads, and that, paired with a crab cake appetizer makes a satisfying meal. My husband's steak was over-cooked, but he ate it anyway. Lobster was on the menu that evening, and my brother said it tasted fresh and sweet. The Shoemaker Burger is huge and is in need of the special sauce it is doused with since the beef was on the dry side. Good sweet potato fries were served as a side.

Service for our large group (8) was attentive, but the food was slow in coming out. There is not a lot of good dining competition in Lynchburg, so this is probably your best bet if you are looking for something special.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank TravelGirl30iw
Allison D, Guest Relations Manager at Shoemakers American Grille, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you for your feedback - it means a great deal to us!
Suffolk, Virginia
“Excellent”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I had the special sea bass with crab cake. Wonderful. My co-worker ordered a 16oz steak... coated in blue cheese and mushrooms. It melted in my mouth and was cooked perfect for me. She likes her steaks over cooked so had to send back but I got a bite before it went back. I would definitely return!

Visited June 2014
Allison D, Guest Relations Manager at Shoemakers American Grille, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Thank you Dana!
NYC
“Nice Restaurant”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

While not fine dining, Shoemaker's is a very nice restaurant. the food is pretty good, and the service is very good. My husband ordered the prime rib medium rare, and it came overcooked. We didn't make any complaints. He ate it anyway because he didn't want to send it back and he said it was tender enough so that helped make up for it somewhat. Ordered the crab cakes. While my son liked them, I thought they had a little too much filler. Sweet potato fries were very good, and the wedge salad was excellent. Our waitress, whose name I've forgotten, was very helpful. We we're out for a combination of Mother's Day and graduation lunch, so we were in a great mood anyway. All in all, a good experience. We are probably a little bit biased living in New York City and having access to excellent restaurants. While we would probably go again if we are in Lynchburg area, we would probably order something else.

• Visited May 2014
Allison D, Guest Relations Manager at Shoemakers American Grille, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thank you for celebrating your special occasion with us - we appreciate your review!