“5-Star in every way!”

Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main Street
Description: Located on the Bluffwalk in historic downtown Lynchburg, Virginia, Shoemakers American Grille offers fine cuisine in an upscale industrial setting. Its shoe themed rooms and décor reflect Lynchburg’s rich history in the early 1900’s as the mecca for all things shoes and tobacco.
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

We love Shoemaker's, their food, service and setting are 5-star! It's hard to say what stands out - the staff are so hospitable and accommodating. Fabulous appetizers we've had: seared tuna, crab cake, calamari, salads. Entrees: amazing streaks cooked perfectly (their grill is seasoned to perfection, IMO), beautiful salmon, sides all great, especially the mac'n'cheese. I have to note the service again, because the whole experience is made so wonderful by the cheerful and attentive staff. Great job guys!

Allison D, Guest Relations Manager at Shoemakers American Grille, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you!! We love our staff and appreciate you highlighting their service!

Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

We loved this restaurant. Went on a Saturday night without a reservation. We when arrived we were advised we would have an hour wait. Only took 30 minutes for a table to open up. The front desk staff were attentive and courteous and managed expectations well.

Our server was delightful. She was very friendly and had great suggestions.

Food was incredibly tasty and well prepared. I had the beef tenderloin with blue cheese sauce. Not overpowering flavour notwithstanding the type of cheese. Well done.

We're very happy your enjoyed your meal and our service - thank you!

Reviewed March 9, 2014

After living in the area for more than a year, we finally decided to give Shoemakers a try for International Women's Day. The restaurant was busy on a Saturday night. There are few other choices in the area. I have to say that he entire staff was very friendly. Our waiter was funny, attentive and had a great personality. The atmosphere was not as I expected. When you enter, you pass a bar area with TV's going. There was no coat-check. The dining area was OK, but not elegant, simple decor with a mix of booths and tables. The only thing that showed this place was "special" was dimmed lighting and cloth tablecloths. There was an unusual mix of dress, from families in jeans and t-shirts to businessmen in sport coats. We felt overdressed for sure.

The menu choices were narrow, and seemed to favor seafood aps and entrees. I found little on the menu to my taste that evening. They did have a couple specials, lobster and prime rib. I chose to have just a hamburger (as we have been O-D'ing on our Omaha steaks lately). My wife had a trout dish. My meal arrived luke warm at best. It was a good burger, but I've had many better. My wife described her trout as just OK, saying she had better even at Cracker Barrel. I will admit our desert and french press coffee was a good way to finish. The cheesecake was one of the lightest and tasty I've had in a long time. With one ap and two drinks apiece, the bill for the two of us was over $120. Not insane, but no bargain. When I compare this to other expensive meals we had (ie. Tobacco Factory, Richmond), it paled in comparison.

Most of the places we tried in the Lynchburg area, even the chains, seem sub-par. Finding an impressive place for entertaining clients or special celebrations is difficult at best. Shoemakers is the top of the heap here, but we will probably travel to Richmond instead.

1  Thank X-countryGuy
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Just ate there tonight and had an awesome meal. I had salmon with fried oysters- cooked perfectly, in my opinion. The friends that I was dining with raved about their meals as well- some had steak. I have never had a bad meal here.

Allison D, Guest Relations Manager at Shoemakers American Grille, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Cheryl, thank you so much for the nice review. We're very happy you enjoyed everything!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

My wife and I go there for birthdays and anniversaries. It is a place that offers better quality food--the grilled Ahi Tuna is incredibly good. If there is a fish special on the menu, it is worth ordering. Sides are excellent as well. They offer outside dining when the weather is amenable.

Appreciate your nice review and thank you for celebrating your special occasions with us!