“Pleasant Surprise in the Hill City”
Review of Main Street

Main Street
Ranked #17 of 313 Restaurants in Lynchburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Pleasant Surprise in the Hill City”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Came here on business on a Monday with no reservation. Surprisingly crowded! Definitley would recommend reservations for weekend nights or near holidays. Service was nice; just slightly on the slow side but we weren't in a hurry. Hostess, bar tender and servers were all just as pleasant as could be. Noticed the head chef coming around and asking if patrons were enjoying their meals.
I started with a Cosmo, which was nice (I opted out of their blood-orange version and went with the traditional variety). We all enjoyed lobster bisque for starters. Dinners came with a small but nice salad and a roll. I ordered one of the specials (bass with crab meat), ordered asparagus instead of rice. Was a little puzzled when the asparagus was served separately, but it was nicely done. All of the dinners were served over green beans, which were slightly overcooked. My bass was done nicely but there was a bit too much sauce (which was good, just a bit too much of it). But, I give 5 stars for the dessert - the Boston Creme Pie cake was fabulous! Not too sweet, which was great, a generous whipped-cream/mousse filling. Yummy!
I thought the ambience was pleasant. The place isn't huge but seating was comfortable.

• Visited June 2013

Fairfax, VA
“Main Street Eatery & Catering Co is great!!”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The food is great: veal oscar for me and filet with crab for my husband -were both delicious! Most impressive was the fact that the chef/owner came out to make sure that we were enjoying our meal! Very warm friendly atmosphere, all the staff work together as a team. Highly recommend the Main Street Eatery!!

• Visited February 2013
Reading, Pennsylvania
“Definitely worth the trip”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

If you are ever near Lynchburg around dinner time and want unique, European-style cuisine and ambiance, this is the place to go. In what other small town would one find venison and rabbit, wild game, or various types of wursts as regularly-appearing items on a menu?

First, a disclaimer: I have known the chef and his wife for about 20 years, first when I lived in the area and then after I moved away. I have also eaten at numerous good restaurants here in the USA as well as overseas. Main Street Eatery holds it own with every one of them.

The decor is casual/elegant. Wood floors, brick walls, high ceilings and soft lighting are the norm. The owner/chef and his wife circulate among the tables, talking to the diners as time permits. The staff is friendly and well-trained. Because of its liveliness, when the restaurant is full it can get noisy at times.

Like every other good restaurant, be prepared for a leisurely dining experience. Those who want a quick meal are encouraged to go elsewhere; this is a place to relax and enjoy one's food. A wait of 30-45 minutes for meal preparation is not unusual, since almost everything is prepared from scratch as ordered. I recommend reservations, especially on weekends, because the Eatery is not large and fills up quickly.

I generally order the German-style dishes, which are the specialties here, and have never been disappointed. Salads are crisp, the veal is wonderful and the venison is outstanding. The bar has a nice selection of wines and German beers. The desserts are out of this world; be sure to save room. Depending on the season and the kitchen, there is a choice of anything from fruit pies to decadently delicious chocolate lava cake.

If there's one area I would suggest for improvement, it would be the vegetables. They have a tendency to be overly salty at times.

This is not an inexpensive restaurant, but dinners can be moderately priced if you forgo the drinks, appetizers and desserts.

• Visited March 2013
Springfield, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Meal”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Very good food. Service was good but a little slow. Save room for desert they were great. The chef came out and chatted with the guests. Good atmosphere. Lots of free parking on the street. This place does get busy so I would recommend a reservation when you eat at Main Street Eatery.

• Visited January 2013
Lynchburg, VA
“LOVE IT!!”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I love Main St Eatery! The food here is amazing every time, the ambiance is special and the dessert cart is impossible to resist. I especially love the paella which is outstanding The difference here is that the chef owner Urs cares about the food and his guests. He uses the freshest ingredients he can find and cooks it perfectly. One year the restaurant was not going to be opened New Years Eve so I called and spoke with Urs and basically begged him to be open so my friends and I could celebrate there. A couple of days later he called me personally and said they had changed their mind!! Needless to say we had a wonderful evening!! Don't forget to check out Octoberfest when the menu is the best in town! Oh, andante dessert cart?? Save room or you will never forgive yourself.

• Visited December 2012