“Nice”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Had dinner here at the suggestion of Carriage House Bed and Breakfast. They had an Octoberfest menu and the food and atmosphere was fantastic!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I took some work collegues for dinner and found this experience very satisfactory. I am mainly vegetarian and when I saw nothing on the menu I was very concerned. I asked the waitress to se what the chef may be able to do. He came through with a wonderful, tasty dish. All others had very good meals as well. Nice atmosphere and not rushed at all yet service was very attentive. Will definitely go back on the next visit to Lynchburg.

Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

They were busy, but made room for us. Our shared German platter main was good, but the highlights were the cake trolley and my Boston Cream Pie.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

My wife and I have had meals at Main Street Eatery a handful of times. Here are some of our impressions after having several dining experiences there:

PROS
--------
The food is excellent, no question about it. We have ordered from a variety of their menus (i.e., mixed drinks, wine selection, beer, appetizers, entrees, and desserts) and have been impressed with the presentation and quality. There have only been 1 or 2 items we have ordered that we did not thoroughly enjoy. Our favorites are the Smoked Salmon Crostinis, Goat Cheese Dip, the Sea Bass (two different ways), and each dessert we've tried.

The drink menus are extensive and offer a wide variety of options. The wine by the glass options are good, for both reds and whites.

They always have a seasonal, rotating menu of "specials" that offer a pleasant variety.

They have a "dessert train" they bring to the table to show their dessert options. This is nice, as you get to see the dessert choices firsthand before ordering.

The atmosphere is visually pleasing - classy, street-front restaurant with high ceilings, wooden floors, and 3-sided bar area.

CONS
---------
You are paying a premium for the dining experience. You'd be hard pressed to find a mixed drink for less than $8 or $9 bucks. Most entrees run about $20-25 a plate. Appetizers and desserts are pushing $10 each.

The clientele is definitely a 55+ crowd, mostly retirees or elderly couples. Not sure if this is because the food/drinks are priced out of range for young couples & families or what the deal is. Overall, not a family-friendly environment.

In addition, the waiting staff and owner/executive chef clearly favor the older crowd. The executive chef makes rounds to the tables during the evening to greet clients and ask about the meals being served. My wife and I are a young married couple (mid-20s) and have not been approached or engaged once, despite having him walk past our table numerous times to talk with others.

Overall, the food at Main Street is definitely among the top 2 or 3 restaurants in Lynchburg. However, given the price tag and dining environment, my wife and I have decided to find other restaurants to frequent.

2  Thank MiniFridge
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Had sea bass here that was outstanding.....wide variety on menu, fresh and original entrees, heartily recommend if in downtown Lynchburg

2  Thank indychowhound