“Sharon wad great!! A++” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Sharon wad great!! A++”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

The receptionist Sharon was great and gave us A++ service. From the restaurant recommendations to the friendly check it, everything was great. Clean rooms, nice location within walking distance to local venues. Free Parking (at least it was on the weekend). She even hooked it up with breakfast.

I would recommend getting bottled beer or liquor at the bar. The draft was a bit funky.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kingtimparker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Winchester, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

We stayed with a group of teenagers (there were 17 total in our group) attending Winterfest at Liberty University. The motel was not prepared for large groups, even though they were informed when the reservations were made how many of us there were and why we were there. WiFi was advertised, but upon calling the desk I found out the WiFi is only on the ground floor (we were on the 7th). I tried the cable in the room to no avail. The clerk said the "box" in the room must be broken, My son's room didn't have connection either. When we got up to shower the next morning, there was no hot water in the 5 rooms we had. When we went to breakfast, they were not prepared to seat us and the promised conference room for devotional was unavailable. We were seated finally in a banquet room with another larger youth group. They agreed to let us share their buffet. This was bad for both of our groups, there was not enough food to go around and we waited for some time. We were told that would be faster than trying to eat in the dining room. Not a good experience. I will not stay there next year when we go back to Winterfest.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
usa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2010

Have stayed at this hotel multiple no. of times over the past 3-4 months . The rooms were clean enough and the amenities are good ( gym, onsite restaurant).

The onsite restaurant has good food , ate most of my meals there!

The staff was very friendly and I had no issues finding a parking spot in the adjacent parking garage.

Overall an above average hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
gmcamm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lynchburg, responded to this review, December 29, 2010
Thank you for your review. We hope that you are a frequent visitor to our city, and will continue to spend your time here with us!
blacksburg
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2010

I'll preface this with saying that if I'd been in a different room and dealt with different front desk staff I probably would rate this hotel higher.
Problems:
1. Rude front desk staff - when I checked in there was no one in line and both staff were on the phone. I assumed it was business related. After a couple of minutes one barked at me "Name." After a couple of more minutes she needed to use the computer and she dropped the phone, making it clear it was not a business call. She did not explain free breakfast (I learned this later when looking at envelope she gave me) and made up a license number when writing out my parking pass. When I asked if there was an elevator in parking garage (3 stories) she responded with "No, use the stairs," not suggesting luggage cart or indicating where one was.
2. When I inspected the room the bathtub faucet was running. I could not shut it off and it was obvious from the dark brown stains that this was an ongoing problem that had been ignored for awhile. There also was dirt all along bottom of tub. I did not bother to complain based on response I expected from rest front desk. Rest of room was fine - in decent enough condition and beds appeared clean after close inspection.
3. The BIG problem - loud music from the lounge. The hotel is L shaped - front desk, lounge and restaurant are in one story structure with skylight rising for another half story above it. Bedrooms are in 8 story adjacent structure. My room was on third floor next to lounge. I was aware for a couple of hours of loud music. At 11 I was ready for sleep and went down to ask when the music would be turned off. Unfortunately, the same desk clerk was on duty. When I asked when the lounge music was going to be turned off I was snottily told there was no music playing in the lounge. When I indicated I could hear the music right there I was told that is was their speaker system - not the lounge. When I asked when it would be turned off I was told there was no way I could hear that in my room. All of this was done very snottily and it was clear to me this is an ongoing complaint from patrons. When I said it was same music I could hear in room - pretty distinctive muzak she sent someone up with me to walk hall and locate room with loud music. I got the strong sense this was a game played frequently - you can't hear music in hall. I brought him into the room and he indicated the music was loud, but pretended he could not tell where it originated from. The music played ALL night. I was able to partially drown it out with white noise of fan, but it did wake me up at points.
4. Not new - as mentioned in an earlier post the hotel website indicates it is a brand new Holiday Inn. This implies it is a new structure, which was part of the reason I stayed there. It is not. It was not in bad shape, but is not new.
5. I contacted HI afterwards by email indicating problem with music and suggesting the system be turned off at 10 or 11, etc. and never received a reply.
Positives:
location - if you want to be in downtown area, which is undergoing a revitalization;
free breakfast in restaurant either choose specfic breakfast that is free or get $7 credit. I will say front desk clerk I talked to upon check-out was absolute opposite of night clerk - very polite and helpful and the same goes for the waitress at the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
sboblett
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2010

I travel very often staying at many hotels across the country and this facility was as nice as any I have stayed in for a long time. I am not sure where the negative comments came from but from what we saw, they were completely unjustified. My rate was less than most low end facilities and the room and service were above most mid to high end hotels. Front desk staff was efficient, courteous, accommodating and very customer oriented. The room and its furnishings were modern, very up scale, clean and full of extra amenities. I only wish that everywhere I stay, paying much more, was as nice.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

The whole place needs to be redone inside..my business clients were uneasy at the bar/ lounge as it was the "African American" social hall with some Supper Club event with terrible blues and R&B music at an ear piercing volume. Most all the floks in there were plastered hooting and yelling. We retired to our rooms only to find them to be filthy dusty and stale musty smells in the air and bed. Drunks were beating on my door at 2 a.m asking "where you at girl!!"..Umm ..that is my last stay in that dive. I suggest the Craddock Terry Hotel..very very nice and upscale for a few dimes more.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank Coast929
merry hill
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

Their web page states "BRAND NEW"...NOT!!!!! I would put this hotel in the same category as Super 8...which I would NEVER stay in. Nothing in the room was Brand NEW!
The floor was dirty, the bath room was dirty, a/c did not work., hair dryer did not work..and NO refrigerator. I was there for a convention and the hotel was full..but that's NO EXCUSE for the condition of the room..I would have insisted on a refund and gone to another hotel/motel except for being at the convention site. I would NEVER stay there again...I haven't stayed at Holiday Inn for several years and now I know why!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family