“Terrible service, ok facilities”

Holiday Inn Lynchburg
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Wichita, Kansas
“Terrible service, ok facilities”
Reviewed July 8, 2006

We stayed here June 29 - July 2 for a wedding. We had many other family members staying since this is the hotel where rooms for the wedding were booked. Many people experienced the same thing.

First, the good things.
Location - Lynchburg is a lovely city and this hotel is situated in a great location with easy access to many things downtown.
Facilities - building is nicely decorated, rooms are nice

And the bad....
Service, service, service. Some examples:
-given wrong directions to get to the hotel on our way in
-first set of room keys we got didn't work, second set didn't work, they said a maintenance person would fix it and the "fix" allowed anybody to enter our room - we were finally moved to another room
-no housekeeping for the first 2 days which left us without any towels, toilet paper or tissues. 45 minutes before we needed to be at the wedding for pictures, our 11 year old daughter was tracking down somebody to get us towels and finally found somebody in the stairwell who had a stack and she brought them back with her. This was after repeated calls to the front desk and housekeeping. Many of us in our group had this happen.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank nan1217

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed June 26, 2006

Finally decided to come down from the mountain top of hotels in Lynchburg and stay at the Holiday Inn Select in historic downtown. Excellent quiet clean room (sign under bed "yes we cleaned under here") - delicious breakfasts - grandkids loved the pool - garage parking. Saturday morning stroll to Lynchburg Marketplace - packed with people and fresh produce.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank hhmarcom
Nor*Cal
Reviewed June 12, 2006

I came to Lynchburg a few times, and after reading the glowing reports of this Holiday Inn I decided to try it.

But things seem to be consistently not quite right. The lobby looked fine, but when I came up to my room, I couldn't get in. I got the green light when I put my card key in the lock, but the door wouldn't open. I pushed and shoved and figured it was stuck. I finally went downstairs (from the 7th Floor) and told them. They sent a nice front desk guy with my back up to my room. He inserted the key, got the green light, and cheerfully explained that sometimes the door handles lift UP rather than down. What?!!! The guy didn't seem to question the fact that the door handle was installed wrong, but only lift it the wrong way.

I found the room pretty well worn. The bed was a bit concave. You know when the sides of the bed are slightly higher than the middle. Looks like it and the comforter should have been replaced in the 80's.

The property is downtown and far from Liberty University. (I think another post said it was close to the university. )

A far better place is the Courtyard by Marriott esp. if you want to be close to Liberty U.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank bdeml
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 16, 2006

Based on others reviews, we recently stayed one night at the Holiday Inn Select over Spring Break. The moment you walk into the Lobby you realize that this hotel should not be compared to the average Holiday Inn. Very spacious, light and airy with a most professional (but not stuffy)staff. We got a deserved feeling of pride in the hotel from the Front Desk staff. The hallways and rooms were very clean & fresh. The beds were comfortable with duvets and the double sheeting that is now the standard in the more upscale hotels. Pillows were plentiful but only standard in quality.

We had dinner & breakfast in the restaurant and were able to take advantage of the "Kids eat Free" both times. Again, nice service & ambience and we enjoyed both meals. I considered the breakfast buffet in the morning but it lacked eggs or other hot entree the day I was there. So I ordered off the menu and was pleased as the breakfasts were reasonably priced and very tasty. Again, the wait staff was both professional and friendly.

Exercise room was only disappointment, 2 threadmills but neither was working. Other equipment seemed a little worn but was still able to use the universal and life cycle. Rooftoop pool isn't open until May or June (kids were sad about this.)

We got an excellent rate but I'd gladly pay in the $120-150 for this level of hotel in a small city like Lynchburg & would probably pay nearly twice that much in larger cities. We would definately stay again if ever in Lynchburg.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
SwVa
Reviewed January 21, 2006

We selected this hotel because it is very close to the train station, and we had seats on a 6:00 am Amtrak train. We were pleasantly surprised by how nice the hotel was, especially the lobby. (I was expecting a standard Holiday Inn. I know now that Select means above average.)

Great location. Parking garage is next-door and easy to navigate. Our first room had major bathroom issues, but we were quickly moved to another room. (My bill was reduced without me asking to reflect this inconvenience.) Room was standard, nothing special.

Service was great. When I called for a cab to the train station, the clerk told me the train was running late. He advised me to call Amtrak and check. Thank goodness he did because the train was running at least 8 hours late! He saved us a wasted trip to the train station.

1 Thank phorid
Covington,VA
Reviewed November 30, 2005

My wife and I stayed here for a meeting on a Friday and Saturday night. We had a problem with our bed, but were quickly moved to another room down the hall.
The room was nicely furnished and the bathroom had above average toiletries. The hot breakfast buffet was very good with eggs,grits,oatmeal and mixed fruit salad plus the usual breads and juices. The staff was helpful with directions to restaurants and theatres for our time after the meetings. We will stay here again when the need arises.

1 Thank mrclean1951
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 30, 2005

Stayed at this property right after Thanksgiving. Very convenient location downtown right off of route 29, easy to get to any restaurant or bar. Rooms were fine, a bit old but clean and heater was very loud. The bar was nice with a soul karaoke a couple of nights a week which obviously was very popular, standing room only. Breakfast at the restaurant was great and very inexpensive, service very efficient and friendly--especially Gloria. Free parking in the adjacent lot or attached garage.

• Stayed November 2005