“Better than average Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn Lynchburg
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Lynchburg
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed April 16, 2006

Based on others reviews, we recently stayed one night at the Holiday Inn Select over Spring Break. The moment you walk into the Lobby you realize that this hotel should not be compared to the average Holiday Inn. Very spacious, light and airy with a most professional (but not stuffy)staff. We got a deserved feeling of pride in the hotel from the Front Desk staff. The hallways and rooms were very clean & fresh. The beds were comfortable with duvets and the double sheeting that is now the standard in the more upscale hotels. Pillows were plentiful but only standard in quality.

We had dinner & breakfast in the restaurant and were able to take advantage of the "Kids eat Free" both times. Again, nice service & ambience and we enjoyed both meals. I considered the breakfast buffet in the morning but it lacked eggs or other hot entree the day I was there. So I ordered off the menu and was pleased as the breakfasts were reasonably priced and very tasty. Again, the wait staff was both professional and friendly.

Exercise room was only disappointment, 2 threadmills but neither was working. Other equipment seemed a little worn but was still able to use the universal and life cycle. Rooftoop pool isn't open until May or June (kids were sad about this.)

We got an excellent rate but I'd gladly pay in the $120-150 for this level of hotel in a small city like Lynchburg & would probably pay nearly twice that much in larger cities. We would definately stay again if ever in Lynchburg.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed January 21, 2006

We selected this hotel because it is very close to the train station, and we had seats on a 6:00 am Amtrak train. We were pleasantly surprised by how nice the hotel was, especially the lobby. (I was expecting a standard Holiday Inn. I know now that Select means above average.)

Great location. Parking garage is next-door and easy to navigate. Our first room had major bathroom issues, but we were quickly moved to another room. (My bill was reduced without me asking to reflect this inconvenience.) Room was standard, nothing special.

Service was great. When I called for a cab to the train station, the clerk told me the train was running late. He advised me to call Amtrak and check. Thank goodness he did because the train was running at least 8 hours late! He saved us a wasted trip to the train station.

1  Thank phorid
Reviewed November 30, 2005

My wife and I stayed here for a meeting on a Friday and Saturday night. We had a problem with our bed, but were quickly moved to another room down the hall.
The room was nicely furnished and the bathroom had above average toiletries. The hot breakfast buffet was very good with eggs,grits,oatmeal and mixed fruit salad plus the usual breads and juices. The staff was helpful with directions to restaurants and theatres for our time after the meetings. We will stay here again when the need arises.

1  Thank mrclean1951
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 30, 2005

Stayed at this property right after Thanksgiving. Very convenient location downtown right off of route 29, easy to get to any restaurant or bar. Rooms were fine, a bit old but clean and heater was very loud. The bar was nice with a soul karaoke a couple of nights a week which obviously was very popular, standing room only. Breakfast at the restaurant was great and very inexpensive, service very efficient and friendly--especially Gloria. Free parking in the adjacent lot or attached garage.

• Stayed: November 2005
Reviewed July 16, 2005

As a Priority Club member, I usually book in the Holiday Inn Express, but as luck would have it, it was full, so I opted for HI Select downtown. Lucky me indeed. The lobby tells the story -- large room, vaulted ceiling, plush, plush, plush. But our room was even better. Was that a down comforter?! I think it was. And REAL pillows? And not your standard white sheets either -- these were white-on-white striped with a bit of sheen. Very luxurious. The bathroom was roomy, plenty of hot water, and thick towels. There was even a coffee pot with real coffee mugs, not styrofoam. The breakfast buffet had plenty of variety, and attentive waiters kept our coffee cups full. We would definitely stay here again. What did we pay for all this? I booked the room on the ICHotels website for $82.

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank Wendymath
Woodbridge VA
Reviewed July 2, 2005

Upon entering the Lynchburg Holiday Inn Select ( downtown) I was very excited and couldn't wait for the night's activities...which were a dance (in the hotel's ballroom) and a night full of fun!

My fiance and I were both anxious for the dance/party to start in the hotel's ballroom. Many people were finally arriving and we decided to join the few in the Hotel's Bar....if I can recall the name "Lynch's Grille"

The bar was not crowded, but seemingly busy. There was only one bartender working and so we decided to sit and wait our turn to order.

As the minutes passed, the bartender continued to serve an elderly caucasion couple and hurried through the rest of the orders, mind you, my fiance and I were seated by the couple and were waiting our turn still...

She coaxed them, and basically bent over backwards for them, she then accomodated them and gave them their order, and ignored my fiance and I, who were seated right there beside them...and was next to be served.

The bar had mostly African-American patrons, all of whom were socializing causually around their drinks. The bartender hastliy served all the patrons, while my fiance and I just sat in amazement. She uttered words, "I am not used to this! I am tired of this treatment." Then, one of her friends came in and blurted her drink order to her, they talked while she was mixing the drink....and continusily worked the far end ( the furthest) from us. Her friend cut in front of us, along with many others... She knew ( bartender) that we were next. We were completely ignored. After having seen and waited enough, we decided to leave. The elderly couple noticed our bizzare treatment and gave us a "relax and drink" session card that was given to them by the bartender....I guess when she observed all the "patrons" she decided to do this.

The Manager on Duty heard our complaint and asked us to fill out what happened that evening. It all happened last evening, July 2, 2005. My fiance, who is a lawyer is going to press the issue further... I don't blame him! I stand behind him 100%

Word to the wise....the physical environment of the Holiday Inn Select is beautiful...but the service...in the "Lynch's Grille" bar area is nothing short of rude, immature, and small-minded behavior....never again.

• Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Massachusetts
Reviewed April 26, 2004

This Holiday Inn is clean and the staff is very accomdating. The breakfast is enormous and tasty. The rooms are comfortable, and for the price, you really can't beat it. It's much better than staying at a run down motel on the side of the highway. Ask for the Collegiate rate if you're visiting a student in one of the area colleges.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member