Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Annandale, Virginia
“Horrible”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in my life. To start my husband was there on government business and I just tagged along and they wouldn't honor the government rate for him. Said they needed his orders... Well he isn't allowed to give out his orders. Every other hotel in the USA his ID is sufficient enough. By telephone at the actual hotel we were told the govt rate would be allowed. Second, the spa was out of service. Third, I had to call down to the front because at 1:00 in the morning you could still hear people super loud next door because the walls are paper thin. Fourth, the air condition was so loud every time it kicked on it woke you up and either you froze or you were sweating all night. The list goes on... The only positive was the breakfast.

1 Thank Charity C
Brian K, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Lynchburg has one of the lowest government per diem rates in Virginia so we do require work orders and a valid government issued ID in order to receive the Government/ Military Rate. (This is a requirement for all Wyndham Hotels.) In order to prepare for our remodeling which will begin next month, we have closed our spa permanently. However, we do offer a Heated Indoor Pool for our guests to enjoy. We don’t receive many negative reviews, but when we do we take them seriously. We just wish that we were made aware of the problem while you were staying with us. Anytime a guest experiences a problem, we would like to know immediately to so that we can fixed it or moved you to another room. Before you make your next trip to Lynchburg, please contact me directly and I will make that you get our best available rate.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
New Market, Maryland
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Spending Memorial Weekend with my daughter to celebrate her 20th birthday while she is attending Liberty University's accelerated summer nursing classes. The staff has been very welcoming and kind. The room was on the 5th floor (504) and was very nice. Some signs of water damage from the roof, and the grout around the tub could use some maintenance attention.

The view from the room overlooked Liberty University and was beautiful.

The bedding was very comfortable and the AC unit did fine. The temperatures in the hallways are a little elevated but not bad.

We'll be back, I'm sure of it

Stayed May 2014
Brian K, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you for spending Memorial Day Weekend with us at the Wingate Lynchburg! We’re glad that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us! It is great that you were able to celebrate her 20th Birthday together too! We are planning a major remodeling this summer and look forward to having you stay with us again… THANKS!
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed May 24, 2014

I chose this hotel for its proximity to Liberty University as I was there for an entire week, with my family, for my college intensive. Another reason for choosing this hotel, as there were several others to choose from in the same area, was the reviews, pictures, and amenities that were available online which were definitely misleading.
I was very disappointed that first of all the rooms were not that nice at all. The tubs were moldy, as were the bottom of the bathroom doors. The bathroom light had a buzzing that lasted about ten whole minutes before it would stop. The bedroom walls just above the desk in our room had some sort of substance splashed upon them which I thought was nasty and could have been cleaned.
Overall, the hotel appeared to be old and in much need of a total remodel, which we were told was going to happen in the future. All of this could be easily overlooked except for the fact that one of my main reasons for booking this hotel was for their business center and the claim that I could print out as many papers as I needed. This ended up being untrue as I came down from my room in need of printing out important papers only to find out that the printer was out of toner. I was told by a staff member that I could use a flash drive to load all of my documents onto them and that she would gladly print them out for me, to which she did, and although I was very appreciative, I was also very tired as I had a lot going on and having to upload documents onto a flash drive is very time consuming.
Another amenity that my family and I were looking forward to was the hot tub which was not working at all. It was covered with yellow tape and was an extreme disappointment.
Also, the wifi was horrible. We were constantly being dropped on all of our devices which was more than a little aggravating.
To top it all off, my son was injured while taking snowboarding lessons at the Liberty Snoflex Center and ended up having to be taken by ambulance to the hospital and having to have surgery the next day. During all of this, I was under a lot of stress as I had to continue my intensives the entire time. The night of the accident my husband ended up going to the hospital that night and staying with our son and I needed to go to the store and the front desk informed me that it was too late for their complimentary shuttle, which was completely understandable but they did not even offer to call a taxi for me.
Our room keys were horrible! They were constantly not working and my husband and children were given an extremely hard time by the front desk staff every time they tried to get help so that they could re-enter the room. One time I even heard one of the staff members outside of my room giving my two girls a hard time about letting them in as their cards were not working. I was appalled and as I opened the door, the staff member took one look at me and left.
Overall, I just believe that this hotel has several things that it needs to improve on before I would ever consider staying there again. Even though I received a discounted rate because of my intensives, I had a friend staying at another hotel close by who was paying less than me and was very happy with her recently renovated hotel and had a wonderful experience. This was not the case for me and my family.

Room Tip: Wait until this hotel has been renovated
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Our goal is to always exceed guest expectations and I am sorry that your stay was “below average”. We appreciate you taking time to write down so that we might be able to address them. Most of all, we hope that your son is doing OK after breaking his arm. This must have been very frustrating for your family and I am sorry that we were not able to assist with transportation.

Since our Business Center is available 24/7 we always try to have a back-up toner in stock, but must have run out. (Guests were able to save their documents on a thumb drive to print at the Front Desk and the toner was replaced the following day.) As part of our remodeling efforts we are removing the Hot Tub, but still offer a Heated Indoor Pool available to our guests to enjoy. Our Maintenance Department will inspect your lock to make sure it is operating properly.

Next month, we will begin a major remodeling and hope that you will give us an opportunity to serve you on future trips to Lynchburg.
Fairfield, Maine
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Every part of my stay at Wingate was really top notch. The staff was friendly and attentive. The breakfast was very nice. I have decided to make this my hotel of choice whenever I am in the area. Have tried a few others but they just don't match up.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Michael R
Brian K, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
We’re glad the Wingate Lynchburg is your hotel of choice when you travel to our area! Thank you for also recognizing our friendly and attentive staff… we will do our best to keep up the top notch service and look forward to your next visit!
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We had booked our stay for 3 nights but my job ended early. We booked through a 3rd party so I was not sure that if we had to leave early that we would be refunded for the 3rd night, but they did credit us (with the help of our 3rd party contact). Beautiful area.

1 Thank Shane S
We appreciate you letting us know about the volume of the music so that we could fix it… it must have accidently been adjusted to a higher level. In addition to the bathroom, the music plays in our lobby and breakfast areas. Glad your second night was much better! THANKS!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 19, 2014

You are going to feel welcome from day 1 to the end! Clean rooms, very nice and balance breakfast, amazing and friendly shuttle service, massage Tuesday and Thursday, pizza party, library orientation and tour on Sunday, super friendly employees, free copies!! Definitely exceed my expectations! Well done job Wingate!

Room Tip: Don't waist your time looking at other choices!!
1 Thank Chelimer
Thanks for recognizing us for a job well done! We’re glad the Wingate could be your “Home” during your intensive classes at Liberty University. You really did an excellent job describing your experience with us and we appreciate you sharing it with others. Our mission is to always exceed the expectations of our guests!