Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is the second year we've stayed here during the holidays while visiting family in Lychburg. We stayed at different hotels the two previous years. Wingate was by far the best experience. The Hotel is convenient and easy to get to. It has incredible views of the surrounding mountains. The staff at the front desk and breakfast were extremely friendly and helpful on both visits (this year and last year). When we needed towels, change, or directions they were prompt and extremely nice. Our daughters (11 y.o. and 9 y.o.) LOVE the pool/hot tub area. It's very convenient that towels are available poolside. We will definitely stay here again next year.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Brian K, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

One of our values that we recently reviewed with our staff is: “You never get a second chance to make a first impression”. Your review really shows what an impact that our staff makes each and every day. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

This time we stayed on the first floor. We were so surprised at how spacious these rooms are. Plenty of space for my 3-year old to play. It was clean, quiet, and pleasant. The air is clean, no scent of cigarette smoke. This is my home away from home when visiting the city.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank M. S

Consistency is very important to us in all of our 131 rooms… the best surprise is no surprise! Our staff really strives to exceed the expectations of our guests. We are glad that the Wingate is your “Home away from Home”.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

1  Thank PamTopper
Brian K, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Reviewed December 23, 2012

1  Thank Mike K

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from 12/16 to 12/21/12 during a week-long intensives course that I had to take at Liberty University. The room was clean and well tended, and the staff went out of their way to help with any requests I had. The free breakfasts were wonderful, and Teresa who prepares/oversees the breakfasts every morning was just wonderful. A true asset to this hotel's wonderful staff! I really loved my stay at this hotel, and have three more intensive courses to endure and will DEFINITELY stay here at least three more times! Thank you!

Cindy Trainum - Beaufort, South Carolina

Room Tip: I stayed on the first floor, and was close to the vending machines, the lobby, the computer room. I...
1  Thank Cindy T

With our proximity to Liberty University, we have large number of students that stay with us when they take intensives. We really do want you to “Feel At Home” and make sure that you have everything you need for your classes while you are staying with us! Nothing gets you better than a Hot Breakfast Buffet and Teresa does a fabulous job. We look forward to seeing you many more times in the future! THANKS!

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I'll start by saying that we had a fairly decent stay at the Wyndham, but the hotel could use some updating. I noticed there were no user pictures of this property at the time of my staying, so I tried to take a few. I wish I could have gotten some of the pool area, but it wasn't worth risking my $400 phone.

The lobby of the hotel is neat and clean, but definitely has a dated decor. That's not a huge deal to me, so I did not deduct points for that. The check-in process was easy and the front desk personnel were very polite and helpful. All of our online requests were met and everything we needed was available in the room. The first room we were assigned smelled of mildew/mold so bad that we had to change rooms. The second room was fine in terms of smell, so that is what I will base this review on.

Upon entering, the room appeared to be clean and laid out fairly well. We did notice some a few stains on the walls (pics), but it wasn't a huge deal. We had a king-sized bet that was able to sleep my husband and me; then we had a pull-out sofa for my oldest daughter (4) and Pack 'n' Play portable crib for my youngest daughter (1). I wouldn't say there was plenty of room to move around after all of that was set up, but we didn't have to rearrange after we got it set up and were able to move freely for the most part. The pull-out sofa cushions were stained on one side and, instead of being cleaned, they were flipped over to the clean side to conceal the stains. That was kind of gross. Upon pulling out the mattress, I was disappointed with its condition. It looked original to the hotel and very lumpy and dirty (pics). The mattress pad for the bed was missing all but one of the elastic straps to hook it around the mattress. The Pack 'n' Play was dirty. Like, legitimately stained around the sides. I don't even know how it would get like that except if someone let a baby roll around in some mud and then put it down for a nap in the Pack 'n' Play. The rest of the room was in average condition. The decor is dark, what with the dark carpet and furniture and it needs to be updated/replaced. Lots of dinged up furniture (pics). The bed itself was comfortable, but it was difficult to sleep soundly with the sound of the heating/air unit being right at the foot of the bed and the green spotlight that lights up the whole building at night, shining into our window. Also, the people, in the room next door, who were up until 11:00 with their kids talking loudly, laughing and yelling didn't help either. Hope my crying baby, who likes to wake up at 7:00, didn't bother them too much. So, yeah...walls are thin.

The coffee-maker was very neat and fast and my daughter loved having a bag of popcorn provided to us in the room, so those were nice touches that we appreciated. Both the refrigerator and microwave worked properly.

Breakfast was fairly decent -- your typical continental fare with the exception of a waffle maker, powdered eggs and either sausage or ham. I can't remember which. I suffered an upset stomach after eating the waffle our first morning, so I skipped breakfast for the remainder of the trip. The breakfast area was very clean and not crowded during our stay.

The main reason we booked this hotel, and the biggest reason for the points deduction, was the pool. We were in the area to visit family for Thanksgiving and it was cold, of course. My daughter loves to swim, so we thought it would be great for her to stay in a hotel that had an indoor pool in the middle of November! We went to the pool the first morning and stuck no more than one toe in. It was FREEZING! We had already changed everyone into swim suits and aired up floats, so we weren't leaving without taking at least one dip -- which we ended up having to do in the hot tub. It, conversely, was boiling hot. So much so that a window nearby was cracked open, letting in freezing air. We only lasted about five or ten minutes in that before we were fully cooked and had to get out and head back to our room. As we were leaving, an older couple were attempting to do what appeared to be their morning swim/exercise and they were fleeing as well, shaking their heads and commenting, "I knew it was too good to be true." While in the hot tub, we were informed by a staff member that the pool had recently been drained and refilled and that's why the cold temperature. Okay, but even still, the hotel should invest in a pool blanket to help retain heat. I'll bet a month later that pool is still not warm. So, beware if you're planning your stay around using the indoor pool -- especially with kids. It's NOT warm. Also, I'd like to comment on the foliage around the hot tub and pool area. It was surrounded by a ton of plants that were either dead or in the midst of dying. It was a sad sight and wasn't at all tropical or relaxing. We did not make another return trip to the pool or hot tub during our stay.

Parking at the hotel was fine, but be warned: it's windy on that mountain! Plan accordingly outerwear-wise!

Overall, our stay wasn't horrible, wasn't great. I would say average. We will probably stay elsewhere next time. We travel to the area often to see my husband's family and have a mental list of pre-approved hotels to pick from. Like I said before, the reason we chose this one was because we had never stayed here before and we wanted to utilize the indoor pool, which was a let-down.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

First of all, I want to apologize for the condition of you room and let you that is was definitely not up to our high standards. Upon receiving your survey I also wanted you to know that we immediately followed your advice.
Our Maintenance Team took this room apart and gave it a good scrub down from top to bottom. In addition to a through scrubbing the room was repainted. (Because the rooms on the first floor are very popular, they do tend to receive more wear and tear.) With this in mind our Housekeeping Staff has been “deep cleaning” all the rooms on the first floor. Our property is an older property, but there is no excuse for us not having the cleanest rooms in town. (In 2013, we are also making plans for a complete remodeling of our entire hotel!)
You are correct, just before Thanksgiving had problems with our pool heater and that we had to order a new one. (Because it was likely to take several days for it to be replaced we posted on our web site that our pool was out of order.) It did not take long to receive the part to fix the problem. However, in order to replace the heater we had to drain the entire swimming pool and refill it with water. It then took several days for pool to get back to its normal 86 degree temperature. (This was very unusual and unfortunate that it happened just before the Thanksgiving Holiday.)
Again, thank you for your comments… these have been shared with our entire staff, owners and management company. In addition, I will be phoning you to assure you that your next stay will be much better! You can count on us!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham
Brian K, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012