“An excellent stay”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I stayed here during the week of July 18-22 and would highly recommend the hotel to anyone travelling solo or with a family. My wife and kids accompanied me to Lynchburg while I as taking a one-week intensive at Liberty University, and we absolutely loved it. The rooms were large, the beds were comfortable, the staff were polite, the amenities were great, and the breakfast was superb. My only recommendation would be a regular scheduled shuttle service to the university and the airport. The shuttle to the university travelled only once during the day (pick up at 7:15 a.m. and drop off at 5:00 p.m.)

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the city. The hotel is on a mountain, and the views are great. Secondly, ask for t...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
wingatelyn, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

Thank you so much for your inspirational review, I am so glad you had a wonderful stay at our hotel and are willing to share it. I will comment that we contract LU and their shuttle services for our students but that is all they offer at this time. We do however offer an on call shuttle to the airport and train station, based on the guests needs. Looking forward to your return!

Reviewed July 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Wingate for a long weekend visit to Lynchburg. The lady who checked us in was very nice and understanding of our last minute extra room cancellation (thank you!). The other worker at the front desk wasn't as pleasant as we overheard her on a phone call talking to a guest trying to get directions from I-81. I was surprised to overhear that she had no idea how to get to Lynchburg from one of the area's major interstates! I was also surprised at how not helpful (Google maps, anyone?) and irritated she became.
After getting the room key and unloading our things, we settled into our room. As soon as we walked into the room we noticed the air was very damp. We waited to see if we could get used to it or maybe adjust the AC unit, but after 15 minutes we had to switch rooms. The manager was very kind and switched us to a new room, but couldn't see the problem.
The second room we had seemed to be better, but after a little bit of time in the room the dampness returned. Again, this AC unit was not functioning properly. We found that if we ran the bathroom fan continually it helped a bit, but still each time we left the room we felt damp.
The first morning while we were down eating breakfast, our room was cleaned. I think we arrived back at the room immediately after the cleaning was complete because as soon as we walked in the room this really strong perfume odor hit me! Apparently, after cleaning the room, the cleaning staff sprays a "freshening" perfume in the room. Yuck - way too strong and not the least bit re-freshening!
Possibly the reason for the perfume is the fact our room used to be a smoking room. Of course it is non-smoking now, but that smell just doesn't magically disappear. I think a thorough cleaning, re-painting and bedspread/drape replacement is in order. The TV (with non-functioning remote) had maybe 15 channels.
After three disappointing nights here we were ready to check out. Upon checking out, we noticed the AC unit at the front desk dripping moisture. I'm shocked at how oblivious they were to the moisture problem when we mentioned it again. They need a good heating and air guy pronto!
I stayed at the Wingate five years ago and found the hotel to be a nice, basic, clean hotel. Five years later, it seems that the hotel hasn't been updated since. It's gone way downhill and needs some serious updating. We will not be staying again.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank USParisian
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed here for a total of 3 weeks at 3 separate times from 2008-2010. I was doing a residency for school at Liberty University. I was by myself each time I came, so of course wanted something safe and secure. Wingate exceeded all of my expectations! I was sometimes out late studying and never felt unsafe coming in at night. They allowed us to have study groups in the conference room as well. The business center and computers were a great help, although they did need some updating for printing purposes. There were several things we needed to print off of the computers and they were not equiped with Microsoft Office software for us to do so. Free wi-fi throughout the building was a huge plus as was the wonderful breakfast! I ate a hot breakfast each morning before heading to class, which was very close. The campus is only a 2 minute drive from the Wingate. Another plus is the new SnowFlex center, which is right behind the Wingate on the mountain. Although this was a school trip, I plan on visiting Lynchburg with my family and will definitely stay at the Wingate!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
wingatelyn, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, the distant learning program at LU is a very big part of our overnight guests during the summer and it is important to us that you not only enjoy the stay but achieve your goal while you are here. We try to create an environment that each student will find beneficial to their studies while they are here to learn, we even bring in a masseuse on Mondays to help releive the first days' stress with complimentary chair massages. See you on your next visit!

Reviewed July 23, 2011

My daughter and I stayed at this Wingate while on a college search trip. It was a wonderful experience! After a full day of touring it was a great respite for her to be able to enjoy the refreshing pool. Especially considering the 100 plus heat. :)

Our room was large, bright, and clean. There was plenty of room to park and charge my wheelchair. The coffee maker was very nice and the quality tea bags an added bonus. The bed was super comfy and the air conditioner managed the temperature really well despite the excessive heat!

Check-in and check-out was a breeze. The breakfast options were plentiful and nicely laid out. The oatmeal in the slow-cooker was a great treat. But for me the beset part was the attentive help from Theresa. I probably would have been able to reach the coffee from my chair but she was so very helpful! I didn't feel like an imposition at all. The entire dining area was kept neat and well- stocked, quite a feat considering the number (and messiness!) of guests!

All in all, a wonderful stay. Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
wingatelyn, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Lynchburg Liberty University, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2011

Thank you for such kind words, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay, that is what it is ALL about! I am very lucky to have such a caring and dedicated young lady in the breakfast, she has been taking care of our guests since 2001, and as you said does a great job! Thank you again for taking time to respond to TRIP ADVISOR and sharing your experience of our hotel with others. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 20, 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my two daughters in one room and a friend and her children in another while we visited a good friend. The first issue I had was when I tried to call the hotel in advance of our arrival and the phone just kept ringing and ringing. I called a few times and then called the main reservation number and they told me that they must be busy. I thought it was odd that a business would just miss potential customers, but apparently they didn't mind doing that. When we arrived it was busy with a large amount of young baseball players staying in the hotel. I was able to check in but my friend was not so we went up to my room to wait. As soon as I stepped in to the room I smelled a very musty odor. I thought it was just because it was humid but the smell never went away. When I touched the rug by the window it was damp. The bathroom had been cleaned but there was mildew in the shower and a lot of crust on the shower head. When I was bringing up my bags on the baggage rack, and was clearly struggling, not one of the 5 people chatting together at the front desk offered assistance or even looked at me. We spent one night at the hotel and by the second evening I was so distraught at having to sleep in the damp room that I decided to leave early and find another hotel on our route home that would be more pleasant.

I will say that the breakfast options were plentiful and it lasted longer then the hotel we had stayed in the night before. The view is also beautiful, but only if you have a front facing room (I did not),

I will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

First of all I would like to apologize for ALL the inconveniences you experienced at our hotel, it sounds like you had a few. As you said we have been a very busy hotel, but it was not our intention to ignore your calls or your struggle with your bags. It is clear that the room you were assigned to had a "clogged" AC drain and that has been addressed. I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast, we take a lot of pride in ours and have had a lot of positive comments similar to yours. I can only reach out and again apologize and hope you will give us another opportunity to right your wrong.

Reviewed July 19, 2011

This hotel was very nice. Rooms were comfortable, clean, roomy. Beds very comfortable. Great shower head with pulsating option. Only complaint, wish the refrigerator had a freezer so we could have refrozen our cold pacs and that the tv would have had a tv guide type channel. Breakfast was excellent with a great variety and good quality. Enough seating for all. Pool area was very pretty, clean and inviting. Biggest problem : the hotel sits on a hill, which is wonderful view and you can't hear the traffic...but there is not a hotel sign at the bottom of the hill on the main road. We had to get directions from three different sources until we found the hotel. Would definitely stay again if we were traveling to Lychburg.

Reviewed July 15, 2011

My husband had to take a Intensive class at Liberty University and we decided to stay and Wingate by Wydnham based on the overall rates on Trip Advisor. I am very happy with our choice. We had to stay for 6 nights and the staff was always very helpful. Our room was clean, quite and we had a nice area to work. Internet speed worked great too. Breakfast was really nice, good variety Hot and Cold, the breakfast area was a little bit crowded sometimes because everybody had to leave at the same time but we managed well. Workout area was very small but it was good. Pool was great. My son and I had a lot of fun. Location also was perfect, very close to Liberty University and restaurants and we had a couple of options for shopping too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to Liberty University, otherwise you will just see the back of a hill as...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business