“Nice facility, needing some downstairs staff training...”

Hilton Garden Inn Lynchburg
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Buda, Texas
“Nice facility, needing some downstairs staff training...”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The HGI in Lynchburg is a big modern place, clean and comfortable with -- important, this time of year -- good air-conditioning. Internet worked well too. And, the staff situation to which my headline refers is a downstairs issue; the housekeepers and others working our floor were unfailingly friendly and efficient.

When we checked in at about 4:15 on a Saturday, however, we were told our room was not ready. After a time the young fellow at the front desk did find a room that had been cleaned and set up for new occupants; whether the room cleaning process was lagging, or the front desk didn't know which rooms were and weren't ready, I can't say, but my money would be on the latter. (As evidence: the clerk kept telling us they had no rooms with king-sized beds, when in fact our booking was for two queen-size beds and had been on the books for weeks.)

The next morning the front desk was in the hands of two women, one of them (an apparently self-absorbed staffer named Sarah) who seemed much more interested in conversing with her colleague (who really was trying to get on with her job) than in dealing with the Great Traveling Public (i.e., us...). At one point I approached the desk with a question -- no other guests were there at that point -- and Sarah continued her chitchat and wanderings behind the desk at some length, despite the fact that we'd made eye contact, until finally her colleague reminded her that somebody had a question. My question: could I have a full-sized luggage trolley; her answer: no, they didn't have any, even though my wife had seen one the day before and the guy who checked us in said he thought one could be had. Not long after, my wife approached the desk with a question of her own (having not heard, at that point, of my difficulties in communicating with Planet Sarah) and drew a similar lack of interest (i.e., she got out four words of her question, only to have Sarah turn away and continue with the chatter).

Not long after that, my wife checked into the prospects for breakfast, for which we had a voucher, and was struck by the restaurant staff's lack of interest in clearing off a table and seating additional guests (this was well before the end of breakfast service). We went elsewhere.

Now, none of these episodes fall into the category of major crises, and if we should find ourselves in Lynchburg again (we chose it because it made a good place to stop after visiting Appomattox Courthouse) I suspect we'll end up at the HGI. Dealing with these hiccups would take no more than some improved communication and somewhat more vigilant supervision and training. The hotel is nice enough that whoever is in charge should see such changes as a worthwhile investment for the longer term...

Room Tip: There is a busy rail line located behind, and slightly above, the hotel; we only occasionally became...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Lynchburg, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Accomodations were excellent but the service by all the personnel was the best. One of our travelers had a bad experience with a room. Her concerns were dealt with promptly and a breakfast ticket was provided for her inconvenience. It is not what a business does when things are going well rather what it does when things go wrong. This hotel passed the test.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Asheboro, United States
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The hotel staff was excellent in every aspect from check in to just passing in the halls-everyone very friendly and helpful-room was wonderful-clean-with all the amenities that you need-breakfast was done very well-better than I have received at some name brand restaurants - When I am in Lynchburg, this is where I will stay

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Portland, Maine
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

When we arrived the receptionist couldn't find our reservation. Both my wife and I repeated our surname but still she couldn't find our booking. I went back to the car to find some paperwork, after about five minutes my wife came to me and said they had found our booking and that the receptionist had misheard our surname. The receptionist didn't seem to bothered that we had started to panic slightly about not finding our reservation and did nothing to re assure us that everything would be sorted out.

We had a standard room which in my opinion was slightly dull compared with other hotels we'd stayed in on our 2 week vacation.

The room was equipped with a coffee maker that didn't work, mini fridge, television, hair dryer and alarm clock.

The bed was huge but unfortunately on my side there was massive dip, when I lied down my feet where almost higher than my head. It was by far the worst bed Ive ever slept in. We were only staying two nights before moving on and on the first night we were both that tired we would have slept stood up. Rather than complain, which I wished I had, we just put up with it.

On the first night we ate in the restaurant, a three course meal for two came to $90 which we thought was expensive. The meal was very nice and the lady who served us was very nice.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank diggerbarnes2005
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I visited this location the weekend of June 8, 2014. All though the 1bedroom ste was large and very clean and lovely. The cable service did not work at all, the food was horrible, and the Pool/Hot Tub was not working correctly.

St. George Island, FL, United States
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I've stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Lynchburg VA several times and have always been pleased with the high quality of accommodations and the good value. It's conveniently located and consistent in service.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Due to a family emergency we arrived several hours later than expected with 3 small tired children. We had booked 2 rooms next to each other. The young woman at the front desk could not have been nicer or more helpful.
Both of our rooms were clean and cool (hot outside). My room was a large king. I was exhausted from the day's events and a long ride. Happily our floor was a quiet one. Everything I could need was in the room and working properly. I have found from past experience this is not always the case.
In the morning I was able to make a cup of coffee with the Keurig in the room before heading out to breakfast. Coffee was actually good for in room coffee. Bathroom was clean, shower hot and plenty of towels.

Room Tip: I had a king room while my daughter and her family had 2 queens and room for the pack and play for t...