“Wine pairings were awful for wine dinner”
Review of Patowmack Farm

Patowmack Farm
Reviewed October 18, 2007

We recently went to Patowmack Farm for a "West Coast Wine Dinner". The service was excellent, and the food was decent, though not spectacular. However, the wines that they paired with the dinner were HORRIBLE! One actually tasted of petrol. There wasn't one wine I'd drink again on the menu. We went there because some friends of ours have compared their experiences there to The Inn at Little Washington, where we have been going for years. Beware: this is not remotely comparable to The Inn. They need a new sommelier, ASAP.

2  Thank steelydantheman

Reviewed October 2, 2006

We went to Patowmack farm on September 9, 2006. This is a unique dining experience. My husband and my parents went. We made reservations and ate in the greenhouse/dining area which is air conditioned.

Allow 2 to 3 hours for the meal. Every detail is considered. The menus have your parties' last name on it. The menu for the month can be seen on the website.

There are two menus. One is a fixed price menu and the other is the chef's menu. The entire party must order from one of the two menus. You may have the paired wines with every course or you can order bottles of wine. They also feature some of the local VA wineries.

The food was incredible. There were a few vegetable dishes ( leek soup) that I wasn't too excited about ordering. However, once I received it, it was the best soup I have eaten. It almost didn't seem enough because it was so good! Everything at the table was fantastic. We tasted from each other's dish. I had a vegetable hash as my entree which sounded in writing OK, but it was absolutely perfect. I will not go on about the food since the menu changes monthly.

The scenery is beautiful and serene. It is wonderful to sit in a glass house with the white Christmas lights twinkling against the black dark sky. The food is sophisticated; however, the atmosphere is peaceful and simple.

The staff were considerate, helpful, and charming. We would definitely return for a special occassion.

My recommendations....

-This is not a place for children for dinner. There were some parents with teenage children at the table next to us. Firstly, there are a lot of lit candles on the walkway and such so little children and fire might not be a good idea. Secondly, it is a very serene place so noisy children would be noticed. The kids have to have a very sophiscated palette to enjoy this restaurant. Check the menu on the website.

-It is a great place to celebrate an anniversary or have a romantic evening. It is very expensive. I think it was $79 a person for the menu not including alcohol.

-This restaurant is for the sophisticated palette. My husband said he enjoyed the dining experience and he ate everything; however, he is more of a steak and potatoes guy and enjoys large portions. Because this is a five course meal, the portions I found were just right. Make sure you do not go with picky eaters or have them review the menu prior to going. Brunch on Sundays might be a safer bet for the company who likes "things on the side" or "no garlic" or "allergic to fish" or "won't eat nuts." This meal would be a waste on this type of patron.

- This restaurant is great for someone who likes exquiste, gourmet food. The person who appreciates presentation, coloring, and a mix of flavors will have a satisfying, adventurous, dining experience.

-This is a great restaurant to impress a "city" person because it has the gourmet food with the rural farm feel. Plus it has the VA wines which is always fun to share with out-of-towners.

I hope you found this information helpful.

1  Thank Momdemac