Prospect Hill Plantation Inn
$124
$119
BestWestern.com
$95
The Inn at Willow Grove(Orange)
$265
Priceline
The Clifton(Charlottesville)
$206
$136
Comfort Inn Monticello(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$89
Hilton Garden Inn Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$142
$129
$102
Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville(Charlottesville)(Great Value!)
$140
$129
All reviewsthe main housecarriage housebreakfast in bedb bprospect hill plantationcrab and shrimpdogs and catsblack labsummer kitchennature trailplantation groundsindividual cottagessouthern plantationbreakfasts were excellentrich historyworking fireplacewood burning fireplace
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 1, 2008

I did not do tons of research before making my selection. I was in the mood to be satisfied.

The room was clean. The building interesting. We even had cookies in the room. But...

We needed to leave by 8 in the morning, which we told the owner. He said that they would bake us up our own batch of muffins as they do not serve breakfast until 8:30. We got three muffins, they were not fresh. For my three hundred dollars, I think they could have scrapped together something remotely special. One and a half muffins per person hardly seems to qualify as an effort.

I am surprised at myself that I feel so annoyed by this bit of laziness but I do. It would have taken very little effort to have made us very happy with the place, and they did not hold up their end of the deal.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gulleyowl
Reviewed August 27, 2008

Room has well decorated, cookies appreciated,ceiling was so low that I cracked my head 5 times to from bathroom. Diner was not worth the time, pretty plates but dull ,poorly prepared, food. Breakfast was very good. One night , a forgetful meal, overpriced wine,and a $520 bill means theirs lots of better choices around charlottsville

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank urc
Reviewed July 21, 2008

We stayed here because it was listed in a travel book I ususally love- Karen Brown. She (Karen Brown) does a wonderful job at picking B&Bs and in the past, have had a great deal of luck following her advice. However, we did not feel Prospect Hill was worthy of her recommendation, or, most importantly, the price to stay there.

Prospect Hill seems so promising from the outside.... very pretty grounds and house is charming. The interior, however, has not been updated in years and feels run down.

But more than anything, the price was way too high for the quality of the stay. The bathrooms were outdated, the linens seemed old and out of style.

We're happy to pay for a nice hotel, and have stayed in many....but they have been worthy of their price tag. The food, decor, and overall price tag don't match the price here. Save your money and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank setArlingtonVa
Reviewed June 16, 2008

We stayed at Prospect Hill Plantation on a Saturday night recently. Our experience was less than impressive - particularly based on the cost of the room. We stayed in the largest and most expensive room, and while it was nice, it was not worth the almost $400 price tag. It simply was not as upscale or unique as one would think for that rate. The bathroom was a tacky pink floral motif. The pool area is decent, albeit small and the water had not been skimmed for a while, so there were many dead insects floating around. Breakfast in our room was nice, but it was nothing beyond the normal. My biggest irritation came at check out when we were asked to give 10-20% gratuity for the housekeeping and breakfast. Now, that confuses me. Doesn't the $350, plus tax, room rate include the housekeeping and breakfast -- at a bed-and-breakfast?? I don't think I've ever been asked by any hotel or inn to pay extra for housekeeping. Overall, I think there are many nicer inns in Virginia that are a much better value.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Midlo2
Reviewed May 20, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Inn during graduation weekend (UVA). The cost of the 2-night stay for 2 rooms was over $2,000. While a "full breakfast" was included in the price, we had to leave early on the morning of graduation to get to UVA, and no breakfast was provided for us (although the owner said we could "take muffins", he made no attempt to make arrangements with us for that. Also, since breakfast didn't start until 8:30, and we were leaving at 7:45, it was "too early" for breakfast. The price gouging was shameful. The food was good, but also way over-priced. The owner of the Inn, while providing interesting stories about the Inn, was irritable and unwelcoming. While special dietary needs were asked for, ( nut allergies), we arrived to our room with a "snack basket" of fruit (looked old), peanut butter cookies, and a brownie with walnuts. Our room leaked water from the room above us (when someone was in the shower), and our room smelled like mildew. When I told the owner about the upstairs shower leaking, he replied that he knew, and it was something that the upstairs occupants were doing wrong, like not closing the shower door (how likely is that?). The grounds themselves are absolutely gorgeous, but the demeanor of the owner and the prices so tainted the experience, that I would never go back again. Nor would I recommend this place to anyone else.

Stayed: May 2008