“nice hibachi”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Reviewed May 21, 2014

was a pleasant experience. The "pee pee boy" is especially entertaining for the kids (it's a boy shaped water spray bottle they hibachi chef uses to spray on fire)

Reviewed May 12, 2014

BLUF: Don't waste your time or money. Visited about a year ago and had a bad experience (see previous review), but I'm a believer in second chances. Unfortunately, Tokyo One hasn't changed. The portions are really small when compared to every other Japanese Steakhouse I've visited. Adding insult to injury, the prices are very steep for what you get (if portions were larger, this would make sense). The food you get isn't anything special; average to below average at best. The only reason Tokyo One is still in business is lack of competition- as in there's no competition in Lorton. If there was another Japanese Steakhouse in Lorton, and by another I mean ANYTHING, it would certainly be the last nail in the coffin for Tokyo One. Despite the bland food, kid-size portions, and expensive prices, I could deal with all that for the sake of convenience. The one thing I can't deal with is poor customer service. The main hostess up front is not interested in good customer service. She acts like a sibling of the Soup N**i from the famous Seinfeld episode, except unlike him she doesn't have any rhyme or reason. Her response to any question is cold and heartless. She acts as if customers bother her, and will quickly dismiss you in the middle of a conversation by answering the phone or just walking away. Clearly, the hostess (older, slender lady) is a relative or friend of management (or the owners). Any typical hostess would have been FIRED a long time ago. I would also add that not all the staff are like her; another younger staff member seemed very nice. TOKYO ONE: Your days are numbered but you can still correct your problems. 1) Fire or move the older hostess lady that works up front. She is the face of your business and has poor customer service skills. 2) Consider increasing your portions or re-naming them. Steak and Chicken dinner should consist of generous portions of both. You're not fooling anyone by concealing the shortfall with a heap of veggies. Otherwise, you should rename it the Vegetable dinner combo with a side of steak and chicken. 3) Prices should reflect what you're getting. As it is now, this is way off balance (see previous comment). 4) Only including **one** tiny sauce with a combo dinner is unacceptable. I don't mind paying extra for sauces, but when you don't include enough to begin with, it seems like you're being really greedy. 5) Take a road trip south, or at least visit Miyabi Japanese Steakhouse's website at: http://www.miyabimyrtlebeach.com/index.php There's a reason why Miyabi has eight locations spanning three states. Take some notes and learn what great food and customer service can do for your business.

1  Thank stevepilamb
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Sushi craving? No...go to Kingstowne. Their taste is better & better portions.

I give 3 (and probably would have given 3.5 if I could) stars because they were pretty attentive. Or..almost over attentive watching me eat at times, but it was a slow period. Our family came here before for hibachi and were not so happy with the portions and the bowl of rice with the different taste. I actually got pissed at the chef for dropping a shrimp on the table and then picked it up and promptly put it on my daughter's plate. I lit him up as he acted like this was no big deal. Well, the greedy lady next to us was obliged to take it and he gave it to her. SMH.

If you're around Lorton, go..it'll be just ok. Oh, did I mention that they charge extra for a soup & salad when you order sushi when most other places give that to you. Why? Because they know that will bring about better tips. The soup was just luke warm tasting like it could have been from a can and the salad dressing was great tasting.

Overall, I'd go if our choices were limited as the dining atmosphere & lighting are pretty good.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Tokyo One is a great restaurant. I sat at the Sushi Bar and I had a great time. The way that the preparation area is set up you can't actually see the sushi being made.

Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Not very busy on a Monday evening, which we greatly enjoyed. We had a party of 12. The chef prepared the food well. I had the steak and shrimp hibachi. The steak was cooked perfectly rare. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The only service I was not impressed with was the beverage service. I had a Ketal One martini, no olives that was unfortunately not very good. The beverage had WAY too much Vermouth.