“A Salvadoran and Tex/Mex Oasis in Lorton”
Review of El Carbonero

El Carbonero
Ranked #6 of 54 Restaurants in Lorton
Cuisines: Salvadoran
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed June 21, 2014

My wife and I had seen this restaurant recommended on TripAdvisor. There is a TripAdvisor sticker on the front door and we overhead another family -- who were traveling through town -- say they'd come in based on TripAdvisor reviews.

Service was extraordinary friendly and accommodating. The restaurant is very nicely decorated. We ate in, so I have no opinion on carryout.

Our appetizer was a Pupusa Loroco Con Queso. Loroco is a Central American flower used in pupusas from that area. It was the best I've ever tasted. As is traditional, the dish came with a slightly spicy vinegary shredded cabbage, served in a separate dish.

We also shared a Combination #3: a Mexican tamale, an enchilada, and a cheese-stuffed poblano pepper. The enchilada is supposed to be chicken or beef, but they accommodated us by serving a cheese enchilada. All three items were very well prepared, served hot, and very tasty. The refried beans were not thick,and it was a nice change from the belly-busting ones I've had elsewhere. The Spanish rice was good, but unremarkable.

We definitely will return to try other items on the menu. I'd like to try some of the Central American beverages; and we'll try to pop in for a nice breakfast. (They open Mon.-Fri. at 7:00 a.m., ans Sat.-Sun. at 9:00 a.m.)

5  Thank greatstoneface2014

Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

New in area, husband drive a different route to explore the area and noticed the sign "Salvadorian Tex-Mex". He was in El Salvador last year and loved the papusas.
I didn't want to eat there because I an NOT a fan, AT ALL, of tex-mex but I love him, so we went.
Best choice I've made since we've been here.
Staff pleasant, food delish and place was clean.
Would you believe we didn't have the papusas?
But we do plan on going back regularly. Can't wait to try them, other really people seem to.
Anyway, my final words on this restaurant: Don't judge a menu by it's cover. (Get it, I said menu instead of book. Because it's funny.)

6  Thank Momnica
Reviewed May 5, 2014

This place probably has the best tasting pupusas I have had in a restaurant in a LONG time. We actually order them ahead of time and cook them ourselves at home for our family. Everything is made from scratch and you certainly can taste it. Finally, a great addition to our area!! PS...let them know you if you don't like a lot of spice because the cabbage that comes with it does have chili peppers in it. They have removed it for us, though.

3  Thank ayildirim19
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I've only eaten pupusas and they are fantastic. They have about 5 different varieties of them.
The Horchata is usually very good too.

3  Thank Superdupermexican
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Wow... The Food Is Very Good, The Service It Is Amazing!!! I Will Recomend Everyone To Try It out....They Have Amazing Platters......Pupusas Are Amazing And Much More......Try It. I am Coming Back Soon.

3  Thank jac7788